Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Richardson

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Richardson and Swift going from this year's squad but no incomings as far as I know. Are we going to rely on the youngsters to cover next year?
    One of the fans on the Redvee video yesterday said there was a rumour of a big Tongan coming and McManus was in the pub at the time so I assume he’s said something about that happening.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    If the move goes through I would think Richardson's game will come on leaps and bounds with regular games so a good move for both parties I can only wish him success.
    He played the whole of last year and got worse as the season went on, not like he started the season brilliantly either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    think Richardson and Trueman will be a good partnership next year for cas

Well done to Saints on Saturday thoroughly deserved given the way youve played this season

I think his move to Cas is a good one. It's a good environment there and some players have blossomed after being discarded elsewhere. I don't for one second want to do your club down, but there is less intense pressure at Cas to be a world beater from the off; in other words your fans have more patience and if you have a 'consolidation' season, there isn't going to be a big backlash.

Still can't believe Leeds have paid a rumoured £150k for Gale, when he's in the twilight of his career and been plagued with injury these past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    One of the fans on the Redvee video yesterday said there was a rumour of a big Tongan coming and McManus was in the pub at the time so I assume he’s said something about that happening.
    Would be almost unfair if we further strengthened our pack

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Would be almost unfair if we further strengthened our pack
    Indeed, I think we’re favourites to go back to back already, even before pre season has started. Throw in another quality prop on top of Thompson, Walmsley, Lees, LMS (and so on) we’ll be near imposssihle to stop. In fact, looking at that list I’m not sure we’ve got room for one unless the fan meant a second row or loose forward.

Learning All The Songs

Paulo to Leigh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Paulo to Leigh
    Is this a wish or a scoop?

Got A Season Ticket

I'd be very surprised if (even after a few) McManus let anything slip about signings. There will be others on here who know more than I do but I am not sure if we have either quota or cap space for anyone else.

Would be nice to be wrong though.

It's probably Albert Vete that they are referring to. He's been mentioned a here a few times. Was offered to SL clubs back in September so someone will have a done a deal by now

I expect our new coach put us in a strong negotiating position if we were interested at the time

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    It's probably Albert Vete that they are referring to. He's been mentioned a here a few times. Was offered to SL clubs back in September so someone will have a done a deal by now

I expect our new coach put us in a strong negotiating position if we were interested at the time
    Is he any good though? According to Wikipedia he seems to have only played 46 times in 9 years as a professional and only twice in the last 2 years.

I've heard the name but can't say I've ever seen him play. I do love a big Islander though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Is he any good though? According to Wikipedia he seems to have only played 46 times in 9 years as a professional and only twice in the last 2 years.

I've heard the name but can't say I've ever seen him play. I do love a big Islander though.
    Question Mark Shoulder. Multiple dislocations and operations.

A rated player but with gary wheeler tendancies.

He’s got very good leg speed for a prop and is a decent offloader judging by his highlights reel

Depends how committed he is if he is coming to Super League. It might be a level below the NRL but you’ll still get found out if you’re coming for a holiday

Got A Season Ticket

Back OTT.

Presumably Danny is leaving but when will it be announced?

Saints have just tweeted that we have two players in the England Knights squad - Jack Ashworth and Danny.

Seems a bit odd that there's been nothing on the transfer.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Back OTT.

Presumably Danny is leaving but when will it be announced?

Saints have just tweeted that we have two players in the England Knights squad - Jack Ashworth and Danny.

Seems a bit odd that there's been nothing on the transfer.
    Presume Cas will want a proper announcement when he's there and available.. maybe even with a kit launch?

Banned

I think Richardson doesn't get the credit his contributions this year merit.

When Fages got injured at the end of March, we were unbeaten but weren't generally firing on all cylinders (struggled to beat Leeds, Salford & HKR at home, for instance). He came in cold against Catalans in a much-changed line-up, and we only lost by 8 in their own back yard. He looked rusty but was better next game when we stuffed early-season pretender Wire, with DR's quick passes to the right helping create space for KN & TM to operate. Next up, we drubbed the piescum, with DR slotting in even better. Then we trounced Hull, our right flank scoring 7 between them, and Catalans.

When brought back into the team, he did fine (the 2 losses to London were with 'reserve' teams, obvs)

To me, the first home win against Warrington was the turning point of the season. It wasn't all plain sailing from then on, of course, but that win, followed up with big wins against wi*an and Hull, ignited the season and left us looking down on the rest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think Richardson doesn't get the credit his contributions this year merit.

When Fages got injured at the end of March, we were unbeaten but weren't generally firing on all cylinders (struggled to beat Leeds, Salford & HKR at home, for instance). He came in cold against Catalans in a much-changed line-up, and we only lost by 8 in their own back yard. He looked rusty but was better next game when we stuffed early-season pretender Wire, with DR's quick passes to the right helping create space for KN & TM to operate. Next up, we drubbed the piescum, with DR slotting in even better. Then we trounced Hull, our right flank scoring 7 between them, and Catalans.

When brought back into the team, he did fine (the 2 losses to London were with 'reserve' teams, obvs)

To me, the first home win against Warrington was the turning point of the season. It wasn't all plain sailing from then on, of course, but that win, followed up with big wins against wi*an and Hull, ignited the season and left us looking down on the rest.
    He was unfortunate in having 3 or 4 different half back partners during his run of games. His biggest contribution was getting that right hand edge working which became very productive for the remaining season.

The criticism he got was mainly for the end of set plays, most of them were actually training ground moves but he took the flak when the executions broke down.

Great to see him very much in the Grand Final post match celebration, he played a part like the others outside of the 17 in getting us there.

Learning All The Songs

Whatever happens re Richardson I think his story is far from over. If given a fair run of games he has always been excellent. Fages has grabbed his chances with his speed and tackling ability but Richardson has he edge kicking wise and the eye for a gap.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Now official apparently

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Whatever happens re Richardson I think his story is far from over. If given a fair run of games he has always been excellent. Fages has grabbed his chances with his speed and tackling ability but Richardson has he edge kicking wise and the eye for a gap.
    I’m not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion given he played the whole of 2018 and his level of performance saw him dropped right at the start of the next season.

Banned

I’m not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion given he played the whole of 2018 and his level of performance saw him dropped right at the start of the next season.
    Agree. Richardson's performances declined over time and he seemed either unable or unwilling to learn from mistakes. Fages is by far the better player and a much more resilient character.

Learning All The Songs

As he was in the Dream Team I think better people than you or me thought different

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Not too sure but didn't Richardson play in a warm up game and get injured, then he couldn't get his place back.

At the moment there's no contestvthst Fages is the better player but a good close season can make a difference.
    Career wise Richardson would be better staying at Saints and trying to prove his worth to a new coach.
    Of course with other good young players pushing for places the club may want to move him on somewhere else.

Learning All The Songs

As he was in the Dream Team I think better people than you or me thought different
    Think it was journalists who chose it and I can guarantee that I and most other Saints fans will have watched Richardson more. Taking the headlines with drop goals and touchline conversions despite his all round game being poor and there being no good scrum halves who played a full season saw him in that dream team. Justin Holbrook clearly disagreed as he thought Theo Fages was the better option for 2019, despite him never playing scrum half in 2018.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Not too sure but didn't Richardson play in a warm up game and get injured, then he couldn't get his place back.

At the moment there's no contestvthst Fages is the better player but a good close season can make a difference.
    Career wise Richardson would be better staying at Saints and trying to prove his worth to a new coach.
    Of course with other good young players pushing for places the club may want to move him on somewhere else.
    We just had the one friendly against Hull and I think Fages started scrum half and then swapped at half time with Richardson. There was also the situation were Holbrook said something about Fages being first choice because Richardson had missed some of pre season with a groin injury but it was fairly obvious he was just trying to save Richardson the embarrassment of being dropped after everyone saying how great he’d been. Quite a few people fell for it so it had the desired effect.

I think it shows that Richardson isn’t rated at all for him to be leaving before the new coach has arrived and had a chance to watch him. It’s the right decision for both parties though. We get a transfer fee, save space on the cap and can now focus on bringing through Lewis Dodd who is more likely to have a successful career at Saints while Richardson will get to play every week at a decent club. I think he’ll struggle but good luck to him and hopefully it’ll be a good move for him.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

This is a twisted narrative.

He was not dropped, he was injured at the start of the season and so could not play.
    Fages was the next in line and earned the right to keep the shirt. (which I have no issue with)

Similarly in 2018 Richardson got the shirt and kept it as he had earned the shirt.
    If he was going to be dropped because he was not good enough then at any stage in 2018 Holbrook could have took that decision and he didn't.

Life in sport does not work on the basis of someone being top class one week and the worst player ever the next, which seems to be your narrative.
    There is a huge amount of ground in the middle where players form peaks and drops, team combinations work and break down.

In this instance you have 2 players who are close in quality but you can't fit both in the same side, so the decision will always be in favour of the player who has earned the shirt until their form drops or they get a substantial injury.