Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Austin

Got A Season Ticket

I hope Smith doesn’t play at Wembley. If he does, don’t be surprised if he puts in a Lance Todd performance .

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    I hope Smith doesn’t play at Wembley. If he does, don’t be surprised if he puts in a Lance Todd performance .
    The same Matty Smith who was not deemed good enough for us and then subsequently Catalan? He’d have to be going some.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    Think he’s cup tied. I’m sure he’s played for Catalan in one of their cup matches this year.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMCMXCIV View Post
    Think he’s cup tied. I’m sure he’s played for Catalan in one of their cup matches this year.
    The article I’ve read says he can play in the cup final as he’s not played for Catalans in the cup yet.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Not registered in time, 19th July is the deadline

From the RFL website

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Not registered in time, 19th July is the deadline
    This. He can't play in the CC final.

If it's a wet September/October, he'll do a job for them. His best rugby has been in the wet weather

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    The same Matty Smith who was not deemed good enough for us and then subsequently Catalan? He’d have to be going some.
    The biggest mistake he ever made was leaving Wigan. Wane wanted him to stay but his head was turned by Cunningham and Wellens.
    If he does sign who was the last player to play for Saints, Wigan and Wire? I'm really struggling to think of any.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    The article I’ve read says he can play in the cup final as he’s not played for Catalans in the cup yet.
    Yeah I just checked and I was wrong. He hasn’t appeared for them in either match Catalan played in the cup.

Noooobie

Neil Courtney is the only one I can think of, but there maybe others?
    LED ZEPPELIN The Most Important Band In The World.... TODAY! Q Magazine Front Cover March 2005 Edition

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The biggest mistake he ever made was leaving Wigan. Wane wanted him to stay but his head was turned by Cunningham and Wellens.
    If he does sign who was the last player to play for Saints, Wigan and Wire? I'm really struggling to think of any.
    Alex Murphy played for 2 & coached the other if that counts.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Alex Murphy played for 2 & coached the other if that counts.
    Martin Gleeson

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Smjones View Post
    Martin Gleeson
    And Micky higham

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Martin Gleeson
    Good call. I kept thinking of players further back. Never considered anyone so recent.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Martin Gleeson
    And Micky higham
    Great shout, like Belgian Saint I always tend to look further back in time.

Yeah I just checked and I was wrong. He hasn’t appeared for them in either match Catalan played in the cup.
    Yes - it's not a matter of being cup-tied, it's the Challenge Cup registration deadline that's been and gone.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Banned

Smith was for me the worst signing we have made in the past few years
    There's tough competition for that little award!!

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    The daft but obvious question is how can they fit him under the cap?

A lot of us think Wire have their own cap anyway but I don't know of anyone leaving and they still have to pay those injured, banned, useless etc, so where is the room? Austin and somebody else will be on marquee allowances, so £100k max each or whatever it is, but didn't they sign Luther Burrell mid-season, which suggests, somehow, they had plenty of space at the start of the year?

Is Bully Boy Hill's missus getting £200k a year or something for washing the kit maybe.....?
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    The daft but obvious question is how can they fit him under the cap?

A lot of us think Wire have their own cap anyway but I don't know of anyone leaving and they still have to pay those injured, banned, useless etc, so where is the room? Austin and somebody else will be on marquee allowances, so £100k max each or whatever it is, but didn't they sign Luther Burrell mid-season, which suggests, somehow, they had plenty of space at the start of the year?

Is Bully Boy Hill's missus getting £200k a year or something for washing the kit maybe.....?
    I think Burrell is completely cap free because he's from Union isn't he? Odd that they can afford Smith, but think they did somehow manage to get Kevin Brown taken off the cap so probably just replacing him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I think Burrell is completely cap free because he's from Union isn't he? Odd that they can afford Smith, but think they did somehow manage to get Kevin Brown taken off the cap so probably just replacing him.

Must have missed this at the time, but you're right. Followed the ridiculous precedent set by Cas with Gale.

It's an utter farce.

All teams get injuries (we lost Walmsley for almost all of last season) and it's part and parcel. Clubs whining about it and getting Cap exemption makes a mockery of the entire cap system.

Edit: to add, no club has been more hit by injuries than our 6-fingered neighbours at Piescumsville. Yet to their credit, they've not resorted to this cheating the system

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Must have missed this at the time, but you're right. Followed the ridiculous precedent set by Cas with Gale.

It's an utter farce.

All teams get injuries (we lost Walmsley for almost all of last season) and it's part and parcel. Clubs whining about it and getting Cap exemption makes a mockery of the entire cap system.

Edit: to add, no club has been more hit by injuries than our 6-fingered neighbours at Piescumsville. Yet to their credit, they've not resorted to this cheating the system
    Ah yes, that's right, forgot about Kev Brown not counting like you say. IIRC there was even speculation about them using that money to maybe bring Barba in instead, once he'd burnt his bridges in Oz. Agree it's ridiculous, injuries happen and you just got to deal with them.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

It's an utter farce.

The ability to exclude salaries from the cap where players are injured before the start of the season was agreed by Super League clubs a couple of years ago. In truth, there’s probably only a few clubs beyond Wire that have such additional money available to add to their squad given that the injured player still has to be paid.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Question, if Brown recovers in time for the end of the season are they allowed to play him even though they’ve used the cap for Smith?

Desperate times call for desperate measures?
    Smith was for me the worst signing we have made in the past few years, called it before we signed him too. Not fussed if he plays in the final
    He has actually made more money with payoffs and loan deals than he has from the club he has been contracted to. His agent is some kind of wizard.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Question, if Brown recovers in time for the end of the season are they allowed to play him even though they’ve used the cap for Smith?
    No, I'd imagine not. Certainly not if it took them over the cap. If the sport had proper governance, bringing him back this season would remove the exemption and he'd have to be counted for the entire season and they wouldn't be able to do it. But it's RL, so anythings possible. It's an odd one with Brown, all the talk was that he was stepping up preparations for a return to the side, but then recently I've read that he's not expected to play for Warrington again.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    He has actually made more money with payoffs and loan deals than he has from the club he has been contracted to. His agent is some kind of wizard.
    Matty isn't daft is he?
    A few of the more mature posters (readers) on here may remember Brian Hogan, his ex wife was a friend of my wifes so we met a few times. He wasn't daft either, he told me that he would stay at a club for a couple of years then "engineer" a move and get a cut of the transfer fee for agreeing to move to and from the clubs.