Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I thought about Demetriou before we got Holbrook. He has a good record in lower grades in Australia, but his last two jobs have been assistant to Bennett. There is no doubting Bennett's record, but I would be a bit hesitant to appoint someone who may follow Bennet's style. EG. Second rows playing centre. He would need to know that our fans expect us to play to win rather than to not lose.
    And if coaching that style of play isn't natural to him, then that brings its own dangers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I'm a bit gutted he's going. Feel quite sad about it.

I might listen to a bit of Enya when I get home
    Radiohead anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I thought about Demetriou before we got Holbrook. He has a good record in lower grades in Australia, but his last two jobs have been assistant to Bennett. There is no doubting Bennett's record, but I would be a bit hesitant to appoint someone who may follow Bennet's style. EG. Second rows playing centre. He would need to know that our fans expect us to play to win rather than to not lose.
    Bang on.

Got A Season Ticket Injury Crisis 2010's Avatar

Iv'e heard a rumour it's Daniel Anderson, must stress this is a rumour but looking on wikipedia it had this.

Daniel Anderson
    Australian coach
    Image result for Daniel Anderson RL Coach
    DescriptionDaniel Stewart Anderson is an Australian rugby league football coach. Anderson previously coached in Australia, New Zealand and England and is particularly noted for his work with the development of younger players. Anderson has signed for St Helens R.F.C. for the 2020 season after penning a 2 year deal. a Wikipedia
    Born: 3 May 1967 (age 52 years), Australia
    Education: Parramatta Marist High School
    Team coached: Parramatta Eels (Head coach, 2009–2010)
    Awards: BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award, Dally M Award Best Coach

Banned

I expected Holbrook to go but I must say I'm surprised he has gone to Gold Coast. They are serial failures and a poisoned chalice for any prospective coach. There's a difference between needing an opportunity and waiting for the right opportunity to be in the best position to succeed.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I expected Holbrook to go but I must say I'm surprised he has gone to Gold Coast. They are serial failures and a poisoned chalice for any prospective coach. There's a difference between needing an opportunity and waiting for the right opportunity to be in the best position to succeed.
    Sounds like the ideal opportunity for a man who builds a team around culture.

I think GCT have made a very shrewd choice and he’ll be a hit over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooobie

Ian Watson, Daryl Powell (taken Cas as far as he could) No body mentioned Danny Ward done a great job in that there London? Or go back to Oz.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Sounds like the ideal opportunity for a man who builds a team around culture.

I think GCT have made a very shrewd choice and he’ll be a hit over there.

All nice in theory. Gold Coast are a basket case and little has changed amongst their set up to convince me it is a good opportunity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lager View Post
    Ian Watson, Daryl Powell (taken Cas as far as he could) No body mentioned Danny Ward done a great job in that there London? Or go back to Oz.
    Must say Ward has done an excellent job and the Broncos aren't afraid to throw the ball around too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lager View Post
    Powell recently signed a long contract. Can’t see him going anywhere.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

No thanks to Danny Ward. It’s one thing playing every week as an underdog and over-delivering. Different ball game as head coach of Saints, would like to think he’s not on the frame.

Too big a risk IMO.

Banned

I would much prefer a British coach. I'm sick of Aussie's using our League, let the earn their stripes coaching wonaloonagonga bushtuckermen or whatever.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I would much prefer a British coach. I'm sick of Aussie's using our League, let the earn their stripes coaching wonaloonagonga bushtuckermen or whatever.
    So you would rather we hadn’t been coached by Holbrook since KC?

Quote Originally Posted by Injury Crisis 2010 View Post
    Iv'e heard a rumour it's Daniel Anderson, must stress this is a rumour but looking on wikipedia it had this.

Daniel Anderson
    Australian coach
    Image result for Daniel Anderson RL Coach
    DescriptionDaniel Stewart Anderson is an Australian rugby league football coach. Anderson previously coached in Australia, New Zealand and England and is particularly noted for his work with the development of younger players. Anderson has signed for St Helens R.F.C. for the 2020 season after penning a 2 year deal. a Wikipedia
    Born: 3 May 1967 (age 52 years), Australia
    Education: Parramatta Marist High School
    Team coached: Parramatta Eels (Head coach, 2009–2010)
    Awards: BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award, Dally M Award Best Coach
    I would be absolutely amazed and not terribly pleased if we appointed a coach who has been out of the game for over a decade.

As for the stuff on Wikipedia - you can safely ignore that.

Banned

So you would rather we hadn’t been coached by Holbrook since KC?

No, Holbrook has reinforced my opinion though. And that rat Barba, although we're well shot of him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I would be absolutely amazed and not terribly pleased if we appointed a coach who has been out of the game for over a decade.

As for the stuff on Wikipedia - you can safely ignore that.
    Yeah that's what I thought when this person told me a week and a half ago so just ignored it, curiosity got the better of me and after trying to find out what DA was doing these days came across this. just seemed a bit weird. probably someone trying to mess with our heads.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quite happy for us to take Aussie coaches even if it is only for a couple of seasons, as their coaching system is miles better than ours.

Holbrook has transformed us in every area since he came in. On the pitch the product is great, we're winning, we play attractive rugby and almost every player has improved. Off the pitch, the players and staff are more involved with the community, crowds are up and there is a genuine feel good factor at the club. Someone like Holbrook just 'gets it' and thats exactly the type of model we need to continue building. The foundations are in place and it just needs a good coach to continue that work and have a similar philosophy and I believe that will come from Australia. There isn't a British coach that really stands out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Dare I say it Shaun Wane
    ...Or Shaun Edwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Quite happy for us to take Aussie coaches even if it is only for a couple of seasons, as their coaching system is miles better than ours.

Holbrook has transformed us in every area since he came in. On the pitch the product is great, we're winning, we play attractive rugby and almost every player has improved. Off the pitch, the players and staff are more involved with the community, crowds are up and there is a genuine feel good factor at the club. Someone like Holbrook just 'gets it' and thats exactly the type of model we need to continue building. The foundations are in place and it just needs a good coach to continue that work and have a similar philosophy and I believe that will come from Australia. There isn't a British coach that really stands out.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Ian Watson?

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Shaun Wane wouldn't even consider Saints. Shane Flanaghan's free and looking to get back in the game but i'm not sure on his situation. Not overly keen on any coach in Super League TBH

Banned

No thanks to Danny Ward. It’s one thing playing every week as an underdog and over-delivering. Different ball game as head coach of Saints, would like to think he’s not on the frame.

Too big a risk IMO.

So what's the difference between what you have outlined versus interviewing a young NRL assistant? Is that not a risk too? In many senses arguably more of a risk because they haven't had experience of head coaching.

I must say however, that the club got it so right with JH. He ticked every box when he came and the bar was also set low taking over KC. The situation is different now and expectation is high. One hell of an ask to find the right man to succeed after JH...

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Shaun Wane wouldn't even consider Saints. Shane Flanaghan's free and looking to get back in the game but i'm not sure on his situation. Not overly keen on any coach in Super League TBH
    Flanagan would be the coach with the best pedigree out of all of those available. The question is whether the club would be willing to risk the bad PR and possible entanglements similar to those we had with Barba over SL recognising NRL bans.

My bet would be another rising Aussie talent - someone like Demetriou or Fairleigh.

Noooobie

Saints to make a statement tomorrow I have no idea who his replacement is going to be

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Can't believe they haven't asked me I talk a really good game.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Surely it'll just be to announce Holbrook's departure. I doubt it would be a replacement. You don't think this is one of the other reasons Marshall was brought in? Head coach?