Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: For next season?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Jones isn't tall but he's a reyt lump these days and makes a lot of metres after contact.

I don't think Greenwood is worth monitoring. He's just too hit and miss for me - a cracking player when he's on it, but most of the time is just too passive, and we'd likely get more value out of giving game time to Bentley. Binning him for Taia is the one thing KC very much did get right, IMO.

Speaking of Bentley, he strikes me as a workhorse back rower who isn't going to scare anyone with ball in hand. I'd say Whitley and Livett are in the same vein. I don't think you really want more than one of those players in your side, so I'd steer clear.
    I think you have summed those players players quite well. I also think Whitley is too small unless the rest of the pack are big, and for me Livett is a bit of a prima donna, but that might be because of the hype he got coming into the wire, and doing the goal kicking etc.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Jones would make a good replacement for Ashworth but not Thompson. McManus has just mentioned on his podcast that new and existing contracts are up in the air at the moment and can't negotiate anything because of the uncertainty.
    Stiddy, What's the name of the podcast ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think you have summed those players players quite well. I also think Whitley is too small unless the rest of the pack are big, and for me Livett is a bit of a prima donna, but that might be because of the hype he got coming into the wire, and doing the goal kicking etc.
    Best bit of business Cunningham did letting Greenwood go & getting Taia in. Wouldnt want Greenwood back at Saints. Not good enough imo

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reacher View Post
    Its the clubs official 'Saints Podcast'. I think it's only available to Saints TV subscribers, but there is a 5 minute 'preview' video on the Saints website.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/05/1...amonn-mcmanus/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Best bit of business Cunningham did letting Greenwood go & getting Taia in. Wouldnt want Greenwood back at Saints. Not good enough imo
    Neither would I, he's a shadow of the player he was and even then wasn't that good most of the time. Should've done far more with what he had/has.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reacher View Post
    I watched and listened to the clubs 40 min premium version on which McManus spoke with quite a lot of depth, he did mention that it was Leeds and Saints who would suffer most financially because of the type of income streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I didn't think that at the time, but we have had more service ands work out of zeb than we ever would have got from Greenwood, in addition he has gone backwards since he left us.
    I bet Wigan would like to get shut.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Castleford have signed Evalds from Salford for next season. Good news for them but another decent player leaving Salford
    I think he's more than a decent player, he's one of the best full backs in SL and a very good signing for Castleford. He will give them the strike they've missed at full back since Hardaker left.

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    It's in one of the rugby papers that Josh Jones has requested an early release.

He would be a great signing for St Helens if they could do a deal. Dependable, makes lots of metres and can offload the ball, as others have said. Versatile too.

Regards,

STEVO

Starting A Programme Collection

I would love to see Jones Back , don't think Whitley is any better than James Bentley

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    I would love to see Jones Back , don't think Whitley is any better than James Bentley
    Bentley is probably stronger in the tackle than Whitley.

In The South Stand

If Saints could get him back I would like him to return.

Banned

Taia - jones
    Thompson -mulhearn

Id be happy with that

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Replacing Taia will need some thought, he is/has been one of our most important players and IMO is quite under rated. That Lomax, Taia, Percival and Grace left edge has been pivotal for us for a few years now and he’s an important part of that. Lomax and Coote rightly got a lot of credit last year but a lot of the space that got created down that edge was because of the timing and the angle of Taia’s running lines. He had a spell where he was playing 80 minutes every week and looked like he was struggling a bit but I think he’s been really good for us.

I like Jones but it depends how we want to play. I think he’d play two games before he’d get stick for running back on the inside all the time. Percival is a big asset for us and IMO we need a back rower who will put him into space as well.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 15th May 2020 at 00:49.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    I think Bentley could be important for us over the next year or so in particular. Obviously we don’t know what the season is gonna look like but if it does end up coming to a scenario where games need to be condensed or recruitment becomes more challenging, having someone who can realistically play 3, 4, 11, 12, 13 and 9 at a push to a decent standard could be handy.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Replacing Taia will need some thought, he is/has been one of our most important players and IMO is quite under rated. That Lomax, Taia, Percival and Grace left edge has been pivotal for us for a few years now and he’s an important part of that. Lomax and Coote rightly got a lot of credit last year but a lot of the space that got created down that edge was because of the timing and the angle of Taia’s running lines. He had a spell where he was playing 80 minutes every week and looked like he was struggling a bit but I think he’s been really good for us.

I like Jones but it depends how we want to play. I think he’d play two games before he’d get stick for running back on the inside all the time. Percival is a big asset for us and IMO we need a back rower who will put him into space as well.
    Some good points there, I know I've said this before but if Ashworth gets his arse into gear, we have a ready made big SR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think Bentley could be important for us over the next year or so in particular. Obviously we don’t know what the season is gonna look like but if it does end up coming to a scenario where games need to be condensed or recruitment becomes more challenging, having someone who can realistically play 3, 4, 11, 12, 13 and 9 at a push to a decent standard could be handy.
    I haven't been Bentleys biggest fan as a first choice SR, but he is invaluable for his versatility, like you say he can fill in adequately in any of those positions. Even in a normal season he would be worth a spot on the bench most weeks.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Good podcast on sky sports with James Graham, also gets questioned on the possibility of a Saints return which he tries to swerve as best he can but you can tell he’d be interested.

Great personality Jammer and can’t help but get excited at the thought of him back in his Saints shirt, yes he’s not the dominant force he once was but he’d add a massive amount to the team on and off the pitch.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...-league-return

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Good podcast on sky sports with James Graham, also gets questioned on the possibility of a Saints return which he tries to swerve as best he can but you can tell he’d be interested.

Great personality Jammer and can’t help but get excited at the thought of him back in his Saints shirt, yes he’s not the dominant force he once was but he’d add a massive amount to the team on and off the pitch.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...-league-return
    At least he wouldn't have much to live up to with the last big name returnee.

Banned

Apparently Mike McMeekan is OOC this season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We don't need Josh Jones back.
    Learned comment from The Don

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

What do we think the chances are of him returning what a huge boost it would give the club after covid 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    He's done nothing for the past 2 seasons, but maybe a change of club?

Got A Season Ticket

I agree not kicked on from 2016-2017 still think there's a good player there
    I heard he was off to Warrington for next season

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    RUMOUR is that he's going to Rugby Union.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    RUMOUR is that he's going to Rugby Union.
    Another one retiring?
    Learned comment from The Don