St Helens; 6

Match:

St Helens v Wigan

Competition and Date:

Super League; 27th September 2019

Report received from:

MRPR

Details of allegation:

Dangerous Throw in the 53rd minute (Hardaker)

Decision:

Issue charge

Details of Charge / Reason for NFA:

Rule – 15.1(d)

Detail – Lifts opponent into Dangerous Position

Grade – A

Penalty Notice:

0 Match Penalty Notice
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Starting A Programme Collection

Clubb's was a text book tackle in the spirit of the game - late, no attempt to wrap arms around, intent on injuring an opponent. Was at it all game. Deserved to be sent off. Unbelievable leniency from the referee.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Clubb's was a text book tackle in the spirit of the game - late, no attempt to wrap arms around, intent on injuring an opponent. Was at it all game. Deserved to be sent off. Unbelievable leniency from the referee.
    Its not a red for me, to be a red there must be contact with the head by Clubbs shoulder, its late and there was no attempt to wrap his arms and attempt a tackle so was a shoulder charge, a textbook yellow. I am not sure what the RFL disciplinary panel were watching. They list the incident as:

Player runs to make contact on opponent after the ball is kicked displaying legitimate tackle approach. Player makes contact with shoulder on shoulder of opponent. Player’s arm is not tucked into position in which to shoulder charge. Player and opponent clash heads. Onfield penalty sufficient.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Its not a red for me, to be a red there must be contact with the head by Clubbs shoulder, its late and there was no attempt to wrap his arms and attempt a tackle so was a shoulder charge, a textbook yellow. I am not sure what the RFL disciplinary panel were watching. They list the incident as:

Player runs to make contact on opponent after the ball is kicked displaying legitimate tackle approach. Player makes contact with shoulder on shoulder of opponent. Player’s arm is not tucked into position in which to shoulder charge. Player and opponent clash heads. Onfield penalty sufficient.

I agree.

Bet Salford are made up he didn't get a ban. A big pansy !

Banned

Is it open season again on kickers? Let's remember that a player just having kicked the ball will unbalanced (often on one leg or both off the ground) and unprepared for hard collision. They're susceptible to whiplash or worse - surely we've not forgotten what that grub Costain did to Long?

He should have seen red and got 1-2 games. It was intentional, late and dangerous. That Coote escaped injury was just good fortune.

But, as others have said, it wouldn't weaken the scum if he couldn't play.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Is it open season again on kickers? Let's remember that a player just having kicked the ball will unbalanced (often on one leg or both off the ground) and unprepared for hard collision. They're susceptible to whiplash or worse - surely we've not forgotten what that grub Costain did to Long?

He should have seen red and got 1-2 games. It was intentional, late and dangerous. That Coote escaped injury was just good fortune.

This. Thanks for saving me the time of writing Webbo.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't know about a 2 game it's rugby not wendy ball, but Coote definitely looked like whiplash would come into the equation. Maybe it is modern camera work, but i don't remember any players head going back the way Coote's did. I initially thought he might be out for the final. Full credit to him for carrying on the way he did.

Banned

Didn’t they start clamping down on this and introduced an automatic binning for any late hit on a kicker?

Did I imagine that?

If they did, they seem to have become lax about it lately.

I don’t think the clubb one was a sending off or a ban but definitely worth a binning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Didn’t they start clamping down on this and introduced an automatic binning for any late hit on a kicker?

Did I imagine that?

If they did, they seem to have become lax about it lately.

I don’t think the clubb one was a sending off or a ban but definitely worth a binning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They did years ago, Lyon got sent off for one,but it became open season on kickers again when Hoffman took out Wheeler. Since then its been pot luck if a player gets banned for it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    They did years ago, Lyon got sent off for one,but it became open season on kickers again when Hoffman took out Wheeler. Since then its been pot luck if a player gets banned for it or not.
    Wheeler was never the same after that. Was a shocker from Hoffman that one. Ball had landed by the time he hit him

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Wheeler was never the same after that. Was a shocker from Hoffman that one. Ball had landed by the time he hit him
    I remember thinking there was nothing wrong with that one.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I remember thinking he had ample time not to hit him,but still went trough and shouldered him,this was after the rfl saying they would crack down on shouldering the kicker,but that rule ( like a lot of others ) was enforced at first but then went slowly by the way side. Anyway it's a good while ago now and i would need to see it again to refresh my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It was very, very late & he flattened him Dux. Wheeler was bossing it that day & think Wigan decided that they'd seen enough

Upside
    Non Members

It was very, very late & he flattened him Dux. Wheeler was bossing it that day & think Wigan decided that they'd seen enough

The age old tactic eh, smash the oppositions best player!

Banned

That's how I remember it too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Thats how I saw it, bit of a shocker that one, Goon Thugby at its best with that incident, if it was any later it would have been on a par with the Flower assault.

Noooobie

At 6:43 Coote is tackled exactly the same way. But no mention of anything there...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thats how I saw it, bit of a shocker that one, Goon Thugby at its best with that incident, if it was any later it would have been on a par with the Flower assault.
    McIlorum on Laffranchi sticks in the memory. Not a kicker but ball well gone and a blatant attack to the head. On YouTube somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Fully agree. I came over and went on the George bus for that one. It was the first time I had seen Wheeler live and he was finding gaps and showing pace all over the field. I thought we had another one that was really going to make the grade, unfortunately he never hit the heights of that game again.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Fully agree. I came over and went on the George bus for that one. It was the first time I had seen Wheeler live and he was finding gaps and showing pace all over the field. I thought we had another one that was really going to make the grade, unfortunately he never hit the heights of that game again.
    I remember that Wheeler was absolutely flying in that game when it happened. I just thought at the time that the hit came after the kick but was committed. Haven’t seen it for a long time though, and everyone seems to disagree, so I’m probably wrong.