Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: The Tommy Makinson Try

In The South Stand Paul Cullen's Mantra's Avatar

Default The Tommy Makinson Try

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously, but as Tommy is airborne when scoring his tries isn't it illegal to tackle him whilst in the air?
    “It's been 31 years, since 1974, we last won a major (trophy and) Andrew Johns and Natty (Nathan Wood), our two oldest players were born in 1974 so it's a little bit spooky,”

There is a common trait in teams at this point in the season that they seem to sit back and wait for somebody to win the game for them. And we had too many of our players waiting for someone to win the game.”

"interfacing at the ruck"

"winning the go-forward"

"i thought we won the collision"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cullen's Mantra View Post
    Forgive me if this has been discussed previously, but as Tommy is airborne when scoring his tries isn't it illegal to tackle him whilst in the air?
    No. Only when tackling a player receiving a kick.

Got A Season Ticket

This is why I was laughing so much at Ben Jones-Bishop at the recent Wakey game. One of our players (I forget who) threw a long overhead cut-out pass but BJB jumped really high in the air and caught it over his head. As he caught it mid-air Percival nailed him. After getting up and playing the ball BJB was then going mental at the ref and touch judge, arms in the air, shouting etc. obviously forgetting that it was a pass and not a kick that he jumped up to catch.

Same rule applies after a bomb, if the ball hits the ground and bounces up in the air and then the FB jumps to catch it on it's way down for the 2nd time he's fair game to be tackled in the air.

I think it only applies to catching a kick on the full, not sure if there's any other criteria any one else can add.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You can be penalised for tackling someone who has jumped to take a pass or bouncing ball but only if the tackle is made in such a way that the player is put in danger. I think we received such a penalty earlier this season when Grace was up-ended.

Got A Season Ticket

Does that not fall under the category of "dangerous tackle" though?

It's not for actually tackling them in the air

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk