Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paulo

Default Paulo

Given him this far into the season to impress. Wanted him to get better on harder pitches, but I’m sorry, he is poor. Not up to Saints standard and arguably not up to SL standards. I’m not even sure what his position is. He runs with no purpose and he is touted as some ball handling 13 but he isn’t. I think it is a three year deal as well so really hoping for the home sick, mutual agreement departure at the end of the season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Given him this far into the season to impress. Wanted him to get better on harder pitches, but I’m sorry, he is poor. Not up to Saints standard and arguably not up to SL standards. I’m not even sure what his position is. He runs with no purpose and he is touted as some ball handling 13 but he isn’t. I think it is a three year deal as well so really hoping for the home sick, mutual agreement departure at the end of the season.
    Early doors I could see why Holbrook signed him to add a bit of composure when things get tough in the middle but he's become very much a lazy player, with Tai injured and Knowles missing a couple of games he needed to step up but he's playing himself to be outside of the 17 at the moment. Bentley with more games under his belt should be replacing Paulo as we will have plenty of players desperate for that Wembley shirt.

Banned

I agree, I don't see anything good in his game. In fact I can only remember him having one decent game all season, Catalan away I think it was.

Waste of money to me, we'd be better playing LMS at 13 if Knowles is out and put Bentley at SR.

I think he’s been underwhelming on the whole. There’s been a couple of games where he’s done a tidy job off the bench when we’ve needed a bit of composure but he’s certainly not put his mark on things. The trouble is he was brought in to play the ‘Wilkin’ role and I don’t think anyone else fits that mould so we would have to change our style of play if he was dropped

Learning All The Songs

Have we at last found our scapegoat? It's been a strange Saints' season this without a scapegoat for us to lynch and burn every week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think he’s been underwhelming on the whole. There’s been a couple of games where he’s done a tidy job off the bench when we’ve needed a bit of composure but he’s certainly not put his mark on things. The trouble is he was brought in to play the ‘Wilkin’ role and I don’t think anyone else fits that mould so we would have to change our style of play if he was dropped
    I think Knowles has been excellent at taking the ball up to the line and passing, often at first receiver like Wilkin used to. The effectiveness of Knowles is the main reason Paulo has been limited to coming off the bench in the 2nd half most games.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I don't think he has been poor or lazy, he is just bang average. He has failed to leave a mark on the team and isn't really missed when he isn't on the pitch. Seems good with his hands and while he will be playing to instruction he needs to put his head down and carry the ball a bit more like Knowles who (i don't have stats) seems to take more carries while the ball also goes through his hands.

Not every NRL player is a superstar but you would assume he is on big coin and there is an argument that we should be getting more out of him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Have we at last found our scapegoat? It's been a strange Saints' season this without a scapegoat for us to lynch and burn every week.
    Are people not allowed to discuss a players performances? I haven't read a single word saying those performances have cost points, games or anything else so why would you suggest people are making him out to be a scapegoat?

Paulo hasn't been great this year and it's fair to say so. But Dom Peyroux had a poor first year and hopefully the same will be said of Paulo

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Are people not allowed to discuss a players performances? I haven't read a single word saying those performances have cost points, games or anything else so why would you suggest people are making him out to be a scapegoat?

Paulo hasn't been great this year and it's fair to say so. But Dom Peyroux had a poor first year and hopefully the same will be said of Paulo

To be fair I’m not sure the language is quite right in this thread, he’s not been poor in any game I can remember, I just can’t remember any particular games where he did anything above ordinary. I suspect he brings things like leadership and experience in the group and other things we as fans don’t get to see, but that’s only a guess. For me his best game for us was Magic Weekend where he played prop, and his ball handling offered us something different to Walmsley/ Thompson, but suspect it’d be figured out pretty quickly if it became a regular thing.

It will be interesting to see if Bentley can keep his place ahead of him when Taia and Knowles return

Scapegoat for what? Purely a comment about his ability, a highly paid member of our squad and somebody who is taking up an overseas quota spot. He completely underwhelms. Perhaps a better way to put it is that if he wasn’t playing would we miss him? Not at all in my opinion and it would give Bentley, Lees, etc more game time if he wasn’t there.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

He’s been pants. Im glad we moved Wilkin on, but im not sure Paulo does anything that Wilkin couldn’t do. I worry that he’s over for a holiday.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

I think it’s unfair to judge him against the likes of Taia or Peyroux as he doesn’t appear to have played positionally in the second row (ie just inside the centre/winger). Instead he is used closer to the ruck but in comparison to Knowles his passing does not often create opportunities wide out as as he usually crabs slightly before giving a short, lateral pass to another forward running off him. Knowles, however, runs at the line but usually ignores the short pass to give the ball to a half looping behind with the ball then being moved to the edge. For me Paulo hasn’t been absolute rubbish in attack but his go forward and creativity have not been outstanding. Defensively, he tackles well and works hard within the structure.

In The South Stand

I think a lot of you are being unnecessarily harsh. He's not your typical South Sea islander, crashing into tackles isn't his game. He brings composure and settles us when he's on. He does spot things and is very often involved in the breaks we make. He's like one of those football players who gets slaughtered by the fans because his goals and assist stats are terrible, but the coach picks him every single week. There has to be a reason he does that. His defense is also pretty decent. I like him. I think we're missing Zeb's size and work rate at the moment.

Not so much a scapegoat. More as pointing out his blatant lack of being arsed. Percival hurtling into their defensive line trying to get us up the pitch time after time & him hiding. He's way below par & needs a rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Not so much a scapegoat. More as pointing out his blatant lack of being arsed. Percival hurtling into their defensive line trying to get us up the pitch time after time & him hiding. He's way below par & needs a rocket
    Spot on Ralph. It is infuriating when a big man hides why the smaller men do yards. To me, Paulo looks like a very poor mans Tony Puletua.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Spot on Ralph. It is infuriating when a big man hides why the smaller men do yards. To me, Paulo looks like a very poor mans Tony Puletua.
    Thanks. Yeah mate that's who he reminds me of as well. Puletua in his later stages at Saints when he went missing for weeks at a time

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Didnt we say all this about Dom Peyroux ?

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Big difference though. We took on Peyroux as a relatively young player who had played a handful of first grade NRL games and we played him out of position at centre.
    Paulo has been playing top grade NRL for years. I expect more from him.

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    One thing you could never say about Peyroux is that he has coasted.

Always plenty of hustle and bustle even if misplaced at times.

Paulo is turning into a bit of a Hohaia in the sense that he just
    drifts along doing bits and pieces, in his own way.

He seems to lack purpose and more importantly both urgency and intent.

I thought we were getting the USA Wrold Cup ball playing 6/13.
    I thought his signing was inspired and it still can be ,
    but he does need to pull his finger out and sharpish.

Not all players can be world beaters in a salary capped sport. Every team needs a mix of stars, decent middle men and youngsters to make up the numbers. Players have to be worth their wage or it upsets the rest of the squad. I don’t mind Paulo continuing to play at this standard, as long as he’s paying US to play for the team. Sadly, ive got a feeling that he’s on decent coin, certainly more than he’s worth. Its particularly infuriating when you see some of them young British born and trained lads playing for Halifax yesterday. They’re probably up tomorrow laying bricks why Paulo’s days made up of camel toe slides and a drive to Llandudno.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Paulo’s days made up of camel toe slides and a drive to Llandudno.
    I don't know what that means but it can't be good.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I think a lot of you are being unnecessarily harsh. He's not your typical South Sea islander, crashing into tackles isn't his game. He brings composure and settles us when he's on. He does spot things and is very often involved in the breaks we make. He's like one of those football players who gets slaughtered by the fans because his goals and assist stats are terrible, but the coach picks him every single week. There has to be a reason he does that. His defense is also pretty decent. I like him. I think we're missing Zeb's size and work rate at the moment.
    I think I'm in this camp. I can't quite put my finger on it, but IMO he does bring an extra something to the team. He certainly seems to organise play around the ruck. I'm quite happy with him TBH.

Upside
    Non Members

He has been average when you want a little more from an import

He talks a lot, is his value the fact is he a talker in the dressing room? He was very active in the open training session

Learning All The Songs

In his first game against Wigan he hit SOL a beauty of a tackle and later stopped him in his tracks with a similar one, I thought then we had a good`un. He has been a steady good tackling interchange but nothing else since and we have yet to see him with deceptive ball handling skills.
    In yesterday`s game it was open for a wise head to tell our halves to put a dink over the top of their quick (offside?) umbrella defence, he should have come to the fore as a canny old pro, he did not and he should have done the hard yards if he could not take the game by the neck. Business end of the season we need cute old players to get us out of these times.

Starting A Programme Collection

I would like to see him become more aggressive and take the line on giving us some go forward. however I do believe he has a x factor that adds to our present success.