Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Contract Players

Starting A Programme Collection

Believe Fifita has a one year option in his favour and he's said he is definitely staying at Wakefield. Sure I saw somewhere that he's going to sign for another 2 years there.

I think Fages will sign a new deal and agree with what others said regarding Taia but I'd wait until as late as possible before sorting that to see if he holds up throughout the year. If we decided against Taia would love us to sign Edwards from Catalan, think in a team challenging at the top he'd play consistently well. Whether he'd come to us who knows. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, though!

Think it's time for Swift to move on as well unfortunately.

Got A Season Ticket

Edwards for Taia and Hastings/Drinkwater for Fages (if he goes) are the only two realistic changes we should look at to strengthen our squad. The rest don't improve us.
    RE Fifita, he'll never come.

Learning All The Songs

Has anyone heard anything about a new deal for Holbrook?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    Edwards for Taia and Hastings/Drinkwater for Fages (if he goes) are the only two realistic changes we should look at to strengthen our squad. The rest don't improve us.
    RE Fifita, he'll never come.
    IF we don't re sign Fages ( and I hope we do ) do we have any spaces for more overseas players ? You mention Edwards for Tai and that would work as it''s one for another. But beyond that it's overseas and non fed ect ect.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    IF we don't re sign Fages ( and I hope we do ) do we have any spaces for more overseas players ? You mention Edwards for Tai and that would work as it''s one for another. But beyond that it's overseas and non fed ect ect.
    Edwards is a good player. I may be wrong, but I don't think he has the workrate of Taia.

Got A Season Ticket

Not fully on topic but.......
    What's the situation with Ryan Morgan's loan to London? Has he played - is he injured?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Not fully on topic but.......
    What's the situation with Ryan Morgan's loan to London? Has he played - is he injured?
    He’s played 6 times so far and he’s in the squad for tomorrow.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Apparently the clubs have/are being told that if they run a Cat 1 Academy they have to run a reserves next season (except Catalan who run their reserves in the French league) with the likelihood of the Academy age dropping down from u19s to u18s. Does this mean we need to keep hold of some of these players that are being highlighted as "we need to release them to spend the cap on others" or would the older ex Academy players plug the numbers gap totally next season?

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Seems (although not out of contract this year) mentioning bringing back Mose Masoe ??.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Seems (although not out of contract this year) mentioning bringing back Mose Masoe ??.
    Is that an actual rumour? If so, I really hope it’s not true.

Learning All The Songs

The only two players who would really add to the squad are Fifita and Hastings. I doubt we’d be able to fit both on the cap even if we were interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Apparently the clubs have/are being told that if they run a Cat 1 Academy they have to run a reserves next season (except Catalan who run their reserves in the French league) with the likelihood of the Academy age dropping down from u19s to u18s. Does this mean we need to keep hold of some of these players that are being highlighted as "we need to release them to spend the cap on others" or would the older ex Academy players plug the numbers gap totally next season?
    If that is true, you can only hope they opt to run academy and reserves rather than drop the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    I can't see us dropping the Academy, it's one of the best in the game and I've always said, every SL should have to run both, on their own. No need for players to go out on dual reg then, give less developed young players a competition to play in and develop, players returning from injury or out of form. There's also no reason why the best local amateur players can't be given a few games. Play at Ruskin, charge a fiver to get in and a quid for kids, there's a bar there, stick on a BBQ and play the games Saturday afternoon, or evening in summer. I'd certainly go to a few and I can't see that costing a great deal in the scheme of things.
    I didn't really think that clubs would drop the academy, but you know how short sighted some of them are. I totally agree we should be running both a reserves and an academy.

Got A Season Ticket

If Leeds disappear from view at the end of season what about putting in a bid for Hurrell if he has a get out clause? He seems to be doing the business now despite early scepticism on this forum and is doing much more for them than Naiquama is doing for us.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    If Leeds disappear from view at the end of season what about putting in a bid for Hurrell if he has a get out clause? He seems to be doing the business now despite early scepticism on this forum and is doing much more for them than Naiquama is doing for us.
    Did Saints not try and sign Hurrell ? On the TV games I've seen of him (quite a lot as Sky like Leeds) he looks some player, albeit in a poor side. As for Naiquama, not really noticed him much, not as good as Ryan Morgan IMO.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Did Saints not try and sign Hurrell ? On the TV games I've seen of him (quite a lot as Sky like Leeds) he looks some player, albeit in a poor side. As for Naiquama, not really noticed him much, not as good as Ryan Morgan IMO.
    Hurrell is a player I've always liked and I had commented before he came over here that his skill set would've been good for Saints- he has a lot of power and makes easy metres. Even before last night's game he had more tackle busts than anybody else in the competition and was the top metre maker. And as we've seen he gets his fair share of tries too. He's been great to watch.

Interestingly with Leeds, Trent Merrin has the most offloads (again even before last night) and Lolohea was reported to have the most try assists. So it's difficult to criticise the new signings, it seems it's the the rest of the team that's the problem.

On Naiquama, I though he showed in the opening moments of the first game of the season, that if you get the ball to him, he also has good power and knows where the try line is. He offers more than Morgan did in the centres (though not as much as Hurrell would). Saints need to play to both sides of the field to get more out of him. The best team at doing that so far is Warrington. Should be a great game next Friday! It's great to see Blake Austin delivering the goods for them as well, he's a quality running half and is an exciting player to see. Great to have these players in our competition, regardless of the teams they plays for.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post

Interestingly with Leeds, Trent Merrin has the most offloads (again even before last night) and Lolohea was reported to have the most try assists. So it's difficult to criticise the new signings, it seems it's the the rest of the team that's the problem.

STEVO
    Got to disagree with you, Lolohea has been an awful signing thus far. His defence is shocking and decision making/execution has been poor, this led to him being dropped last week. I think the majority of Leeds fans would drive him back to the airport. Hurrell has been very good for them, Merrin not worth the marquee.

Apart from Hurrell there isn’t another Leeds player that would make the Saints’ 17 at the moment, Merrin would maybe grab a bench spot.

Starting A Programme Collection

Hurrell is a player I've always liked and I had commented before he came over here that his skill set would've been good for Saints- he has a lot of power and makes easy metres. Even before last night's game he had more tackle busts than anybody else in the competition and was the top metre maker. And as we've seen he gets his fair share of tries too. He's been great to watch.

On Naiquama, I though he showed in the opening moments of the first game of the season, that if you get the ball to him, he also has good power and knows where the try line is. He offers more than Morgan did in the centres (though not as much as Hurrell would). Saints need to play to both sides of the field to get more out of him. The best team at doing that so far is Warrington. Should be a great game next Friday! It's great to see Blake Austin delivering the goods for them as well, he's a quality running half and is an exciting player to see. Great to have these players in our competition, regardless of the teams they plays for.

Regards,

STEVO
    Why don’t you comment on your prediction that Lachlan Coote would be a poor signing for Saints ?

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Got to disagree with you, Lolohea has been an awful signing thus far. His defence is shocking and decision making/execution has been poor, this led to him being dropped last week. I think the majority of Leeds fans would drive him back to the airport. Hurrell has been very good for them, Merrin not worth the marquee.

Apart from Hurrell there isn’t another Leeds player that would make the Saints’ 17 at the moment, Merrin would maybe grab a bench spot.
    Leeds and Wigan have very similar problems ... a sub-par set of front-rowers and no half-back capable of managing a game. Not a good combination, and a clear sign of poor recruitment choices in both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Leeds and Wigan have very similar problems ... a sub-par set of front-rowers and no half-back capable of managing a game. Not a good combination, and a clear sign of poor recruitment choices in both cases.
    I just think that you can’t replace the quality of the players you’ve lost so quickly. Both teams have lost key influential players and at the moment are struggling to keep up the standard - especially Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I just think that you can’t replace the quality of the players you’ve lost so quickly. Both teams have lost key influential players and at the moment are struggling to keep up the standard - especially Leeds.
    There’s definitely some truth in that - we went through it ourselves. But I think at those times you have to be smart with your recruitment and neither Wigan nor Leeds have been. Josh Drinkwater, for example, would significantly improve either of those teams; he was available in the off season but ended up at Hull KR. Meanwhile Wigan persist in having four wingers taking up a chunk of their salary cap and they go and sign Jarrod Sammut.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Agreed and to compound that Leeds have been woeful in their attempts to replace the departed. They have placed an over-reliance on a new breed of “golden generation” coming through from their academy which has been allied with poor recruitment/retention. As a consequence, they have ended up with players well past their best (JJB, Ablett), many ex-Academy members who will probably never be stand outs (Sutcliffe, Handley, Singleton, Lilley, Golding) and a raft of signings who are a considerable step down from those who have departed (Myler, Luke Briscoe, Lolohea, Peteru, Ferres, Donaldson, Crosby). Most significantly, they do not seem to have a player who can begin to manage the game in the way that Sinfield or McGuire did and whoever thought that Myler of Lolohea could should be shown the door immediately.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Agreed and to compound that Leeds have been woeful in their attempts to replace the departed. They have placed an over-reliance on a new breed of “golden generation” coming through from their academy which has been allied with poor recruitment/retention. As a consequence, they have ended up with players well past their best (JJB, Ablett), many ex-Academy members who will probably never be stand outs (Sutcliffe, Handley, Singleton, Lilley, Golding) and a raft of signings who are a considerable step down from those who have departed (Myler, Luke Briscoe, Lolohea, Peteru, Ferres, Donaldson, Crosby). Most significantly, they do not seem to have a player who can begin to manage the game in the way that Sinfield or McGuire did and whoever thought that Myler of Lolohea could should be shown the door immediately.
    Think recruitment is a very difficult thing to get right Tabasco. It is a gamble or at worst a dark art, whether it is abroad or within the competition. Johnathan Davies mentioned our recruitment early millenium as an excellent example when commenting on a Challenge Cup game we won back then. Since then it is fair to say we have had a few potential good`ns that did not work out as well as we thought. We have also had a few surprises that came to fruition and some good fits at the time that went off the boil/rails later. Scully looked average in his first two seasons then proved to be a superb player, leader and example off the field, Peacock proved to be the catalyst for Leeds with these same attributes, you can never be sure though no one has a crystal ball.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 6th April 2019 at 16:06. Reason: spelling

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Got to disagree with you, Lolohea has been an awful signing thus far. His defence is shocking and decision making/execution has been poor, this led to him being dropped last week. I think the majority of Leeds fans would drive him back to the airport.
    I don't think Lolohea has been at his best but don't think it's fair to say he's been awful given the stat about his assists, especially given his limited game time as you point out. His strength is his running game and the coach needs to find a way to get the best out of him. It's Myler's job to be the lead half. I don't know if you watch the NRL, but here's some footage of his ability https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oC_C61-z5c He has talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Southstandsaint View Post
    Why don’t you comment on your prediction that Lachlan Coote would be a poor signing for Saints ?
    I would encourage you to go back and read carefully what I said about Coote and Saints recruitment for 2019 in general. But to summarize for you, I said that Saints had to find away of replacing what Barba brought to the side- tries, assists, tackle busts and that special threat of being able to create something out of nothing and go the length of the field.

Coote has looked good, producing some great cut out passes. But I think my point still stands. I mean there's another thread on here in which a young and relatively inexperienced half back is being criticised for not running the ball and threatening the line, yet it appears the full back is exempt from that criticism. Saints really struggled to create anything yesterday and the full back should be held responsible for that just as much as the halves. I think the signing of Coote and/or the decision not to strengthen the half back options will ultimately be determined at the end of the season, when we'll know if Saints have won any trophies or not.

Regards,

STEVO

Coote has looked good, producing some great cut out passes. But I think my point still stands. I mean there's another thread on here where a young and relatively inexperienced half back is being criticised for not running the ball and threatening the line, yet it appears the full back is exempt from that criticism. I think the signing of Coote and/or the decision not to strengthen the half back options will ultimately be determined at the end of the season, when we'll know if Saints have won any trophies or not.

Regards,

STEVO
    Did you enjoy the Salford game today ?