Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Wigan

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Haha no don’t worry i’ll be back soon enough.
    I'm in the Maldives wearing heavy duty wet weather gear for the storms. Torrential rain and 40 mph winds. Enjoy Gran Canaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I still think he looks like a former centre who’s playing in the front row, it doesn’t look natural for him yet and some of the finer detail in his game is still a bit messy, particularly defensively.

But he runs hard, he gets stuck in and he’s got some pace as well so I think he’s worth sticking with.
    I think JH has been bringing him on at times with 2 props already on the pitch. JH once said he does not see Ashworth’s longterm position is as prop. For me although still learning he can play a couple of positions. He’s aggressive and without Lees we don’t have any grub aggression. That said I think the other player who is becoming a bit of a grub is Bentley. He likes the niggle.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm in the Maldives wearing heavy duty wet weather gear for the storms. Torrential rain and 40 mph winds. Enjoy Gran Canaria.
    Oh well, that's a shame. I'm sure you can get one of your servants to bring you another case of Chateau Petrus and some scrambled Dodo eggs.

Noooobie

Default Down the middle

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I hope Peyroux has been spending a lot of time with the tackle bags over the last week or so. His tackling can be poor and a SF is not the time to miss a shed load of them.
    Looks like rain might be the order of the day tomorrow i think we need a massive game down the middle steady with ball in hand if we can drag them into an arm wrestle with their forwards I think our backs will do the business

Starting A Programme Collection

I think there are two people's performances that are crucial on Friday Firstly Coote, who in is absence and recovery to form, made it easier for teams to target and stifle Lomax. If he plays well in attack there is less pressure on Lomax and both of them torment Wigan. Secondly, the referee, who if he stops the Pies unfairly slowing down our PTB, will see us dominate in the forwards as man for man they are no match for us. Game over!

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Yes, if our forwards get the upper hand early on, there's only one winner
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Why do i have a feeling Holbrook will pick Paulo in the 17 and leave out Smith and Ashworth, LMS and Amor are guaranteed, i think Bentley has played well enough to get the 3rd bench spot, he also covers Roby if needed. So for me it is 1 of Smith, Ashworth or Paulo and despite how poor he has been this year i think he will go with his experience over the other 2.
    I reckon JH will pick Paulo as well , if he doesn't he is admitting he made a mistake signing him .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I reckon JH will pick Paulo as well , if he doesn't he is admitting he made a mistake signing him .
    If Holbrook is thinking that the goons might play a tight middle game then he could well pick him.

Got A Season Ticket

Obviously depends on the weather but I cannot see the rent boys wanting to take us on down the middle. I would expect them to get the ball to Gildart at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    And no chance of him taking him to Gold Coast with him if he's admitting he's not good enough.

Wigan's pack was a bit of a joke earlier in the season, but they are a different beast now that Smithies, Partington and Byrne have stepped up to the plate. I still think we have a better pack than they do, but not by the sort of distance we did in the earlier derbies this year. It'll be tough.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Do we think Wigan will fill the east stand tomorrow night? I'd be very surprised if they don't
    Yes, they've started winning again so all the part timers are back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Wigan's pack was a bit of a joke earlier in the season, but they are a different beast now that Smithies, Partington and Byrne have stepped up to the plate. I still think we have a better pack than they do, but not by the sort of distance we did in the earlier derbies this year. It'll be tough.
    Correct, they've got some really good young lads who haven't looked out of place when I've seen them, plus that fat lump Clubb who isn't soft, they're not a walkover at all.

Banned

Do we think Wigan will fill the east stand tomorrow night? I'd be very surprised if they don't
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Learning All The Songs

For the first 60 minutes perhaps

Lot of negativity regarding Ashworth.

Certainly not lit up this season but equally not had a stinker either.

A bit late in the day for chopping and changing.
    However I would start him with Thompson.
    He would definately get the carries and hopefully see the offloads that caught all our eyes last season.

Walmsley then comes off the bench.

When Ashworth and Lees were brought on as a pair they both seemed most effective.

This season the staggering of the introduction of the 3rd and 4th prop then hold back the 5th seems to have
    stiffled Ashworth,Lees and Amor to a degree.

The new narrative of sliming down Ashworth to SR is in complete contrast to Holbrooks own analysis that
    Ashworth's future lies at prop.

He reminds me of Ian Pickervance in many ways. So much potential but stuttering at the moment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Lot of negativity regarding Ashworth.

Certainly not lit up this season but equally not had a stinker either.

A bit late in the day for chopping and changing.
    However I would start him with Thompson.
    He would definately get the carries and hopefully see the offloads that caught all our eyes last season.

Walmsley then comes off the bench.

When Ashworth and Lees were brought on as a pair they both seemed most effective.

This season the staggering of the introduction of the 3rd and 4th prop then hold back the 5th seems to have
    stiffled Ashworth,Lees and Amor to a degree.

The new narrative of sliming down Ashworth to SR is in complete contrast to Holbrooks own analysis that
    Ashworth's future lies at prop.

He reminds me of Ian Pickervance in many ways. So much potential but stuttering at the moment.
    Negativity? It's people rightly saying he hasn't played very well over the season. I don't see the issue with that.

Good analogy with Ian Pickervance who I also thought was a better SR than prop. I've said more than once Ashworth will look a different player after losing a bit of weight and running wider.

Its going to be a tough night tomorrow for both teams, but I have faith in the lads to go on and get the win, in which the forwards will be tested to the limit.

COYS

Banned

Listen, lets stop the childish comments towards one another and at least be civil? Worth a try?
    Ok.

Been excited for this game all week! Looking forward to this fixture since they beat Salford last week. Really looking forward to the game tomorrow!

Come on you Saints.

Salford have shown tonight what it takes to win these big games. Very much the game that has done for us in recent years. That is, dominate the tackle and slow the ptb just enough to stay the right side of legality. Don’t get me wrong, some good performances in attack too (Bibey, Evalds, Hastings...) but it’s the ability to slow potentially creative teams down that wins these big ones. Unfortunately that’s the speciality of the Pies, but our amazing defence this year is more than capable of doing it too. COYS

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    Salford have shown tonight what it takes to win these big games. Very much the game that has done for us in recent years. That is, dominate the tackle and slow the ptb just enough to stay the right side of legality. Don’t get me wrong, some good performances in attack too (Bibey, Evalds, Hastings...) but it’s the ability to slow potentially creative teams down that wins these big ones. Unfortunately that’s the speciality of the Pies, but our amazing defence this year is more than capable of doing it too. COYS
    I have been saying this for a few weeks now a lot of the S/L sides are now concentrating on defending , after seeing how good Saints have been since Holbrook came .

Same here,, score predictions anybody? I'll have a guess at Saints 18-6 Wigan
    Strangely enough that was the score I was thinking of.

It's game day!!!

Can not wait.

Come on Saints give us a big performance and smash this lot and get us back to Old Trafford!!!!!

How're the nerves everybody.?
    Nervous! But think it is more nervous excitement at the moment. Just want us to do the job!