Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Substitutes

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Default Substitutes

Just watching the first game of the NRL Magic round and I'm wondering if it's time to increase number of subs.

Quite rightly players who fail HIA tests are stopped from re-entering the field but we're also seeing teams suffering as a result, so should teams have access to more subs in those circumstances?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Interesting idea. I agree that teams shouldn't be disadvantaged due to a ruling that is there to protect players health. Possibly using the 18th man in this circumstance would work? Not sure what would happen if there are two or more players who suffer. There are also teams who might take advantage of a revised ruling - and use it to their advantage. We know gamesmanship is not unknown when 'playing' the rules. A good recent example being playing the ball into the player on the ground to get a penalty.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Just watching the first game of the NRL Magic round and I'm wondering if it's time to increase number of subs.

Quite rightly players who fail HIA tests are stopped from re-entering the field but we're also seeing teams suffering as a result, so should teams have access to more subs in those circumstances?

More subs, yes... Mire interchanges, no

I think you should be able to carry 6subs for a maximum of 6 interchanges

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Interesting idea. I agree that teams shouldn't be disadvantaged due to a ruling that is there to protect players health. Possibly using the 18th man in this circumstance would work? Not sure what would happen if there are two or more players who suffer. There are also teams who might take advantage of a revised ruling - and use it to their advantage. We know gamesmanship is not unknown when 'playing' the rules. A good recent example being playing the ball into the player on the ground to get a penalty.
    That would be my worry.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by danhamon8 View Post

4 interchange players
    2 substitute players

Subs can only be swapped once, interchanges multiple times depending on current rule

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    4 interchange players
    2 substitute players

Subs can only be swapped once, interchanges multiple times depending on current rule
    I'd go with eight players on the bench two of whom must be 21 years of age or under at the start of the season.

Then six substitutions but no interchange, once you're off you're off, stamina and fitness should be part of the game.
    If you want to make allowances for concussion assessment, than it MUST be sanctioned and observed by an independent doctor

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I'd go with eight players on the bench two of whom must be 21 years of age or under at the start of the season.

Then six substitutions but no interchange, once you're off you're off, stamina and fitness should be part of the game.
    If you want to make allowances for concussion assessment, than it MUST be sanctioned and observed by an independent doctor
    I think six straight swaps feels like those football internationals where they play a separate team in the second half, it may undermine things

4 that you can swap like now, but maybe only 6 interchanges
    2 subs that can be swapped once with no return, primarily for injuries

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danhamon8 View Post

I think that's a good point. I wasn't suggesting an increase in interchanges because I don't believe it would benefit the game.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

The HIA decision is made by a doctor and I don’t know any player who would intentionally fail the test in order to gain access to an extra sub. The number of substitutions could stay the same but the 18th man comes into play should a player be ruled out after HIA. That player could take no further part in the game anyway, so not much of an advantage.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    The HIA decision is made by a doctor and I don’t know any player who would intentionally fail the test in order to gain access to an extra sub. The number of substitutions could stay the same but the 18th man comes into play should a player be ruled out after HIA. That player could take no further part in the game anyway, so not much of an advantage.
    It happened in RU with 'bloodgate'.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It happened in RU with 'bloodgate'.
    Completely different. That was a blood capsule that was used, nothing to do with a HIA

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Completely different. That was a blood capsule that was used, nothing to do with a HIA
    No but it's arguably an easier system to play. If you're in any tackle or ruck there's nearly always a moment where your head is obscured from view. All you have to do there is stay down, claim injury and fail the answers on the concussion test. If anyone tried to call you on it they'd be crucified for playing down the importance of 'care of duty' over concussions.

In response to the original post, I don't think interchanges should be increased or the number of substitutes increased. If a team chooses to not cover all or at least most positions on the pitch then they've only themselves to blame if a player goes off injured for any reason. Less interchanges has led to a faster game and allowed some more creativity back into super league in my opinion.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Replica Shirt Saint Drew the dammed's Avatar

If you are worried about someone gaming the system the impose a mandatory 10 day rest period before someone someone who has failed a HIA so that they will miss the next match
    There's a fine line between Genius and Madness.... and on my map it's marked M6

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    No but it's arguably an easier system to play. If you're in any tackle or ruck there's nearly always a moment where your head is obscured from view. All you have to do there is stay down, claim injury and fail the answers on the concussion test. If anyone tried to call you on it they'd be crucified for playing down the importance of 'care of duty' over concussions.

In response to the original post, I don't think interchanges should be increased or the number of substitutes increased. If a team chooses to not cover all or at least most positions on the pitch then they've only themselves to blame if a player goes off injured for any reason. Less interchanges has led to a faster game and allowed some more creativity back into super league in my opinion.
    I agree. The tactical makeup of the bench has become an interesting part of the game, IMO, and, as you say, reducing interchanges has had a positive effect. There’s nothing that needs fixing here, IMO.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    I understand the difference. My response was to The Chief's comments about the chances of a player intentionally failing a test to gain a 'free' substitution.
    It may be a different test for a different injury, but it would still be open to abuse in exactly the same way.

IMO, leave things as they are for now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post

Agree completely - and with Dux.

Players pick up all sorts of injuries during a game and, whilst I fully agree with players having to leave the field if they fail a HIA, don't see why they should be treated differently to any other player having to leave the field due to injury.

We have 4 subs already. It's enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Agree completely - and with Dux.

Players pick up all sorts of injuries during a game and, whilst I fully agree with players having to leave the field if they fail a HIA, don't see why they should be treated differently to any other player having to leave the field due to injury.

We have 4 subs already. It's enough.
    Whilst I agree with what you say l think that the only change I would make would be an extra sub if a player gets put out of the game due to foul play . Do you still get a ‘free’ interchange if a penalty is awarded during the incident ?