Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Long out/Marshall In

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Agree! that as the problem with the statue! how many greats did many fans who voted truly know? how the likes of Vollehoven were ignored shocked me.
    I thought that at the time, most only knew SL players. I certainly don't think KC was our greatest ever. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember the shortlist being only St Helens born players hence no Vollenhoven (who probably would have got my vote). Don't know if that memory is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I thought that at the time, most only knew SL players. I certainly don't think KC was our greatest ever. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember the shortlist being only St Helens born players hence no Vollenhoven (who probably would have got my vote). Don't know if that memory is correct.
    The older generations say Murphy & Vollenhoven. Having seen videos of the 2 I was in awe.

I didn't realise how fast Murphy was

Got A Season Ticket

Does anyone know if this happening at the end of the season or any time now?

Noooobie

It will happen in July of this year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    The older generations say Murphy & Vollenhoven. Having seen videos of the 2 I was in awe.

I didn't realise how fast Murphy was
    He was well known for his weighted bullet pass from the scrum, quite often he would miss out his stand off and send out a 20yd pass to his centre who was positioned deep with lots of space to work with. I think we had a player called Alan Whittle a very good stand off but quite often Murphy use to bollock him for not reading Murphy's game quick enough. Murphy was well protected by Huddart and Karalius so any foul play against him and Karalius was the first one up to dish out "the treatment" on that particular offender.

Murphy's favourite scrum half after him was Bobby Goulding he didn't think Sean Long would make a natural scrum half but I guess the game changed a bit once Superleague took a hold.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He was well known for his weighted bullet pass from the scrum, quite often he would miss out his stand off and send out a 20yd pass to his centre who was positioned deep with lots of space to work with. I think we had a player called Alan Whittle a very good stand off but quite often Murphy use to bollock him for not reading Murphy's game quick enough. Murphy was well protected by Huddart and Karalius so any foul play against him and Karalius was the first one up to dish out "the treatment" on that particular offender.

Murphy's favourite scrum half after him was Bobby Goulding he didn't think Sean Long would make a natural scrum half but I guess the game changed a bit once Superleague took a hold.
    I didn't know any of that. Thanks STIDDY. Always interested to learn about previous generations of players who I never saw live

Banned

Never saw Murph play live, but from what I've seen on film, what I've read, and what I've heard from others who did watch him, he's almost certainly the best player to have come out of St Helens - probably the finest scrum half ever.

But I think some people were reluctant to vote for him given his typically petulant exit from the club during the peak of his career (27), and his patchy coaching record when he returned to KR (the irony being Cunningham's subsequent coaching record at Saints was utterly dire, but that came after the vote)

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I think Karalius is the one I wish I’d have been able to see play. People always talk about how physical he was but by all accounts he could really play as well, anyone with his reputation must have been a special player.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Never saw Murph play live, but from what I've seen on film, what I've read, and what I've heard from others who did watch him, he's almost certainly the best player to have come out of St Helens - probably the finest scrum half ever.

But I think some people were reluctant to vote for him given his typically petulant exit from the club during the peak of his career (27), and his patchy coaching record when he returned to KR (the irony being Cunningham's subsequent coaching record at Saints was utterly dire, but that came after the vote)
    The above is why Voll would have got my vote over Murphy. He was a true clubman, and his humility was equal to Murphy's arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think Karalius is the one I wish I’d have been able to see play. People always talk about how physical he was but by all accounts he could really play as well, anyone with his reputation must have been a special player.
    The guy was a machine. He wasn't particularly big, even for those days when players were generally smaller, but he terrified everyone including the Aussies.

I met Karalius twice once in Providence Hospital when I was a young kid, him and Huddart brought the 1961 Challenge Cup to my bedside and I can recall both of them smelled of beer. The second time with Karalius was at their scrap yard with his brother/cousin Tony Karalius both were lifting up bits of engines up with these very large hands the size of shovels, older fans might remember Tony Karalius use to run at the opposition with one hand covering the ball and the other with a brutal hand off. I think Andy Gregory joined the Karalius Brothers after into the scrap business and then became the star player for the goons.

Vince Karalius use to have a very dry humour and him and Huddart were the ones not to mess with, the pair had a saying quote which I think was "On the field you give it, you take it, and yer don't ••••in groomble"

Vince Karalius use to take the pish out of a very young Murphy, he told Murphy not to keep trying to score a try between the post, Murphy asked why to which Vince replied "your head is getting too big now and it might not fit between the posts"
    Last edited by STIDDY; 10th June 2019 at 12:00.

Got A Season Ticket

Got A Season Ticket

Vinty for me all day. Murphy stood on the town hall steps after the Wembley win spouting how he would never leave this club. Already signed for Leigh. Tosser comes to mind

In The South Stand

I think that all of the old time players that have been mentioned were better than any Saints players in super League era , but there were a lot of others who deserved to have been mentioned also.

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofeHearted View Post
    I wonder if he was at the London Broncos game, if not has it effected our coaching approach already.

That’s a shame. The timing isn’t exactly ideal ... hopefully it won’t cause too much disruption.

Got A Season Ticket

I wonder if he was at the London Broncos game, if not has it effected our coaching approach already.
    He was there, did the warm up and sat with Holbrook during the match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    That’s a shame. The timing isn’t exactly ideal ... hopefully it won’t cause too much disruption.
    It's odd. Hasn't their season just finished? I don't see what good he's going to do when all the players are on holiday for another month or two.

Makes me wonder if this is what it's made out to be. Could this be one of those weird triangular deals where he leaves for Union, spends a couple of months working as a consultant, then mysteriously gets offered the head coach role by Wigan out of the blue?

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's odd. Hasn't their season just finished? I don't see what good he's going to do when all the players are on holiday for another month or two.

Makes me wonder if this is what it's made out to be. Could this be one of those weird triangular deals where he leaves for Union, spends a couple of months working as a consultant, then mysteriously gets offered the head coach role by Wigan out of the blue?
    It's definitely not that.

He's moving house to the other side of the country. He's going down there to get ready for the start of their pre season.

From what I've been told, he's on double his salary, he's been told there is scope to work his way into the England setup if things go well. With us, realistically he can't go any further. We won't go down the same route that we did with KC so he can't go any further with us. The next step would be a head coach role with a rival. Who would be happy if that happened?

From what I've been told he's gutted that he won't get to see us lift any silverware this season (if we manage it). If someone offered you double your money it's a no brainer, he's made the decision for him and his family and you can't blame him for that imo

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

He starts on the 8th July when they return for pre season.

Got A Season Ticket

Shocked to hear Sean has left today with immediate effect? and also that Harlequins were never mentioned when it was first talked about?

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Shocked to hear Sean has left today with immediate effect? and also that Harlequins were never mentioned when it was first talked about?
    The press didn't say all the club's he was in talks with, he had a few offers I think it was 4 or 5 clubs

I was told last week that this week is his last game but things might have changed since.

Learning All The Songs

It might well be a great opportunity for him but leaving halfway through a season is poor form, especially when we’re favourites to win everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    It might well be a great opportunity for him but leaving halfway through a season is poor form, especially when we’re favourites to win everything.
    I suppose he will be joining in time for their pre season which makes sense from a Harlequins point of view but your right in that it doesn't help our cause. I assume the club will have cplans in place and it isn't like we are losing the head coach.

I wish him nothing but good luck but its a shame we have lost another promising coach to Union.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk