Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Catalans

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    Lee grew up supporting saints played for saints and if you, ve met him you then know what a nice lad he is. I, m glad he,s one of us.
    He used to play for Crusaders down at Dodd Avenue, my lad was in the same team although I think Lee was a year younger than the rest.

Gave him a lift to a few away games.

One occasion we were going to Widnes Tigers, and it was pouring with rain.

My son was playing stand off that game so, as dads do, I'm telling him what to do, maybe to try the odd grubber kicks close to the line, especially aimed at the post, in wet conditions it can cause mayhem in defence.

Of course my son didn't take a blind bit of notice but Lee was sat quietly in the back of the car. Maybe he did

Got A Season Ticket

One of the most pleasing aspects of Saints performance for me was their refusal to be intimidated by the over aggressive and niggling tactics from a team of headhunters. A thoroughly professional effort, and just for once can we give some credit to Woolf. He had the team very well prepared for this game tactically, mentally, physically and they were well disciplined throughout. Our defence was superb. The lads should be very confident and a similar performance next week should be enough to see off Wigan.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    One of the most pleasing aspects of Saints performance for me was their refusal to be intimidated by the over aggressive and niggling tactics from a team of headhunters. A thoroughly professional effort, and just for once can we give some credit to Woolf. He had the team very well prepared for this game tactically, mentally, physically and they were well disciplined throughout. Our defence was superb. The lads should be very confident and a similar performance next week should be enough to see off Wigan.
    Absolutely right , we had a good debate midweek Re- Woolf. Tonight , I feel we were well prepared , organised and played a disciplined game against a team with a game plan of nothing but thuggery . Dealt with !

I’m not sure we will have to same freedoms in the back line against Wigan albeit , their pack is about as athletic as a team of retired bin men . If we are injury free I see us hurting Wigan next week .

Well done Woolf , superb performance from all .

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    He used to play for Crusaders down at Dodd Avenue, my lad was in the same team although I think Lee was a year younger than the rest.

Gave him a lift to a few away games.

One occasion we were going to Widnes Tigers, and it was pouring with rain.

My son was playing stand off that game so, as dads do, I'm telling him what to do, maybe to try the odd grubber kicks close to the line, especially aimed at the post, in wet conditions it can cause mayhem in defence.

Of course my son didn't take a blind bit of notice but Lee was sat quietly in the back of the car. Maybe he did
    You taught Lee everything he knows
    Last edited by SaintJon; 21st November 2020 at 09:07.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Some of the comments on here are laughable to be honest. We really do have one of the most negative and bi polar fan bases ever. I don't think Woolf will ever truly get the credit he deserves.

We implemented a perfect game plan last night. Our forwards were aggressive, didn't get sucked into a dog fight and hit them on the edges when we had the chances. Some of the tries we scored were outstanding, Naiqama's in the 1st half and Coote in the 2nd half from the Taia pass the highlights for me.

Catalans had no intention of playing rugby, they came to spoil the game and play dirty and thankfully we didn't get sucked in. We handled them pretty much perfectly despite a few players picking up injuries.

As Semi Final performances go it was pretty much perfect. We scored 8 tries and conceded 0. What more can you ask for?

If we play like that next week we've got a very good chance. It'll be a tougher game of course but we've got a great chance providing everyone is fit and fingers crossed no Covid issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

We put in our best performance of the season this year, we were fantastic and I really don't understand how some people can be critical of aspects of that performance. We kept a team tryless for the 5 time this season (including Toronto), and believe it or not we played some decent rugby and scored some nice tries. As Big Bad Les wrote, Woolf had us ready for this game. Our pack matched there's and then dominated them, without having to resort to cheap tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Some of the comments on here are laughable to be honest. We really do have one of the most negative and bi polar fan bases ever. I don't think Woolf will ever truly get the credit he deserves.

We implemented a perfect game plan last night. Our forwards were aggressive, didn't get sucked into a dog fight and hit them on the edges when we had the chances. Some of the tries we scored were outstanding, Naiqama's in the 1st half and Coote in the 2nd half from the Taia pass the highlights for me.

Catalans had no intention of playing rugby, they came to spoil the game and play dirty and thankfully we didn't get sucked in. We handled them pretty much perfectly despite a few players picking up injuries.

As Semi Final performances go it was pretty much perfect. We scored 8 tries and conceded 0. What more can you ask for?

If we play like that next week we've got a very good chance. It'll be a tougher game of course but we've got a great chance providing everyone is fit and fingers crossed no Covid issues.
    This, I would feel sick if some of our top players missed out due to covid. Stay in your bubble boys. Kick the misses and the kids out of the house for the week.

Also, Jack Welsby was superb last night, set up a few tries, wasn't intimidated, and had Folau in his pocket all game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I've deliberately not read them, so I couldn't be influenced. :-)

In the end, I thought it was a brilliant performance. They went out with the attitude that if they weren't going to win the Grand Final, then neither were we, but we stood up to them, weren't intimidated by them and in the end our depleted forward line completely bossed them.

In the second half, we played some great rugby, opened up and tore them apart. There is no doubt that it was our best performance of the season. The players did everything asked of them and they implemented the plan perfectly. A 9 out of 10 performance.

BUT

I didn't see anything I didn't know before deep analysis led me to post in depth about why we could beat anyone else, but Wigan and/or Warrington would undo us on the big occasion.

Something I've said ad nauseum now since May is that we only decide to play rugby when the game is won. In the first half, we plundered it down the middle, making few or no passes. it was conservative rugby all the way. Yet the one time we did move it out wide, we scored. With the the luck of the early second half try killing the game and another shortly after, we suddenly started to move the ball about and offload, and you know what, it suits us. We are great front runners because when we express ourselves we are untouchable in this country.

However, the coach does not allow us to express ourselves until well clear. Therefore, this means that when we are in a close battle, we don't get to that stage where we do express ourselves, we get stuck in a midfield slog, and the lack of creativity from the halves near the line means that we don't have the tools to win that slog.

It's all on the coach. If he allows our backs to play, then we will win next week. However, I think we all know the drill by now. He will only allow the backs to play when we are more than two scores in front and that's not going to happen against them. To beat Wigan, you can't just plough it down the middle, you've got to use the backs and hurt them by moving the ball. Watching us all season, I know how we are going to play it, and I fear that methodology will see us lose and come out wondering what would have happened had we just been a little bit more adventurous and played to the strengths of a 1,2, 3 and 5 that are as good as any in Super League.

I'll, of course, be delighted to be proved wrong. :-)
    I don't think you watched the game correctly in that first half, we threw the ball out wider from the PTB and had a lot of second phase which stretched the defensive line that happened for quite a few early sets. Knowles and Bentley were like terriers in that first quarter, bashing everything that came there way and took a lot of pressure off our front row.

Fages also made a big improvement from the Wigan game, linking well with Lomax and Coote and Catalans had problems trying to mark all three. Our set completions were better last night and our defence was so good I can only remember Catalan being within our 10 metres on one occasion in that first half.

Wilkin often talks up that Pressure is a Privilege and Saints did that in the second half, that was done in the form of putting pressure on Rat Boy who came up with 2 errors result was 2 tries (12 points) we played smart rugby. As for expressing ourselves that was more to do with the Catalans compounding more errors with Naiqama and Grace benefitting from that.

But the most impressive part of our win was our defence, this is the "Woolf Mantra" and wants this before anything else, some fans don't like it............at the end of the day they handled a lot of rough treatment and stuck to their task, very proud to be a saints supporter today.

We have made it to 12 grand finals in 22 seasons win or lose that is mighty impressive.....Well Done the Players and the Coaching Staff.

Some brilliant tries, fantastic defence against a team of head hunting thugs. Taia magical pass. No tries conceded and tremendous self discipline,.

Outstanding amongst a great team effort were;
    1. Coote

2. Roby

3. Bentley

Some brilliant tries, fantastic defence against a team of head hunting thugs. Taia magical pass. No tries conceded and tremendous self discipline,.

Outstanding amongst a great team effort were;
    1. Coote

2. Roby

3. Bentley

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think you watched the game correctly in that first half, we threw the ball out wider from the PTB and had a lot of second phase which stretched the defensive line that happened for quite a few early sets. Knowles and Bentley were like terriers in that first quarter, bashing everything that came there way and took a lot of pressure off our front row.

Fages also made a big improvement from the Wigan game, linking well with Lomax and Coote and Catalans had problems trying to mark all three. Our set completions were better last night and our defence was so good I can only remember Catalan being within our 10 metres on one occasion in that first half.

Wilkin often talks up that Pressure is a Privilege and Saints did that in the second half, that was done in the form of putting pressure on Rat Boy who came up with 2 errors result was 2 tries (12 points) we played smart rugby. As for expressing ourselves that was more to do with the Catalans compounding more errors with Naiqama and Grace benefitting from that.

But the most impressive part of our win was our defence, this is the "Woolf Mantra" and wants this before anything else, some fans don't like it............at the end of the day they handled a lot of rough treatment and stuck to their task, very proud to be a saints supporter today.

We have made it to 12 grand finals in 22 seasons win or lose that is mighty impressive.....Well Done the Players and the Coaching Staff.
    Only needed to read your first paragraph to respond - this was key, I’ve been screaming at the TV all yr about 2nd phase rugby . All we we have struggled to execute well . Last night was really affective . Like you Saturday , both fage and Lomax held a very wide line ; again, a change to our attack . The only time I recall us being so affective on the flanks with second phase rugby was against the Roosters . Seems a long time ago .

Only needed to read your first paragraph to respond - this was key, I’ve been screaming at the TV all yr about 2nd phase rugby . All year we have struggled to execute well . Last night was really affective . Like you Say , both fage and Lomax held a very wide line ; again, a change to our attack . The only time I recall us being so affective on the flanks with second phase rugby was against the Roosters . Seems a long time ago .

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Some of the comments on here are laughable to be honest. We really do have one of the most negative and bi polar fan bases ever...
    I'm more and more convinced that some of them, like The Reverand, aren't actually Saints fans!

Banned

Just loved it I really did. If those two pieces of scum would have played we would have had lads carried off. To be fair to Moore he reffed it well.

Got A Season Ticket

It was a great performance and we played in the way we should be playing which is something we failed to do in the 2 games previously. If we play like that against Wigan then we have a very good chance. I thought Bentley was outstanding, he took the ball up well and he tackled anything and everything. Hopefully Walmsley and Graham will be ok next week.

What did concern me was the ref last night seemed to think high shots are ok and as long as he puts a few in the bin then its ok. I thought the Maloney one on Grace was a sending off never mind a sin bin and I also noticed several Catalan players putting there hands in the faces of the Saints players after they had been tackled. If The Catalans coach cant understand why his players get banned then he needs to read the RFL rule book on high tackles etc and then concentrate on playing rugby.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    It was a great performance and we played in the way we should be playing which is something we failed to do in the 2 games previously. If we play like that against Wigan then we have a very good chance. I thought Bentley was outstanding, he took the ball up well and he tackled anything and everything. Hopefully Walmsley and Graham will be ok next week.

What did concern me was the ref last night seemed to think high shots are ok and as long as he puts a few in the bin then itÂ’s ok. I thought the Maloney one on Grace was a sending off never mind a sin bin and I also noticed several Catalan players putting there hands in the faces of the Saints players after they had been tackled. If The Catalans coach canÂ’t understand why his players get banned then he needs read the RFL rule book on high tackles etc and then concentrate on playing rugby.
    There was a face scrape on LMS by Mead after his head tackle, Maloney did something similar on Lomax. On both occasions our players piled in without trying to punch everybody, happy with that wouldn't stand for it but showed controlled restraint.

I still think the head shots we are going to get next week our players should stay down on the ground otherwise the ref will show some tolerance to the offence which would go in Wigoons favour.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I thought that grace offered a lot of support on Falou, they doubled up on him to nullify him. Excellent defensive performance.

Welsby has earned his starting space next week, and I'd go the same 1-17

In The South Stand

Default 21 man squad v Catalans

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I thought that grace offered a lot of support on Falou, they doubled up on him to nullify him. Excellent defensive performance.

Welsby has earned his starting space next week, and I'd go the same 1-17
    Glad someone mentioned Grace - thought he was brilliant last night with and without the ball

Good character from Welsby with the world and his wife calling for him to be dropped; he was pretty much flawless. Maybe we can drop the disrespectful Woolf love child nonsense and support the lad now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Glad someone mentioned Grace - thought he was brilliant last night with and without the ball

Good character from Welsby with the world and his wife calling for him to be dropped; he was pretty much flawless. Maybe we can drop the disrespectful Woolf love child nonsense and support the lad now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Grace was great. That Maloney sin-binning was earned by his footwork.

Welsby deserves some real credit, too. He didn’t put a foot wrong and was the most physical I’ve seen him. I was in favour of Simm starting but Welsby has definitely earned his GF shirt.

Bentley was sensational too. You often see people losing their temper with him, which tells me he’s doing something right.

In The South Stand

Well, I enjoyed that . I couldn’t get on here last night because of all the traffic.

Spot on mate. I cringe sometimes at the shite that’s posted on here. Even if we beat Wigan 50-0 next week some people will still find fault. I agree that we haven’t been as expansive this season but we’ve played well in different ways and I think we’ve improved in certain areas under Wolfe. I just wish people would give the guy a break and let’s give him time. It’s not easy to take over a successful team that’s just won the comp when everyone expects you to back it up and do it again.

Due to COVID this year has been a mess with regards to team protocol and preparation and everything that goes into coaching a team. We also had the added distraction of the World Club Challenge to deal with but despite all of this he’s managed to get us to another grand final and win or lose next week I’m prepared to give the guy time.

Learning All The Songs

I stand corrected on Welsby.
    Definitely keeping his spot, moments of class from him..

Not letting anyone score a try in a semi is impressive.
    I'm a little more confident Saints/Wolfe will have learned from the last game with Wigan..

Should be a bruiser of a final. COME ON SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I agree, I don't think whatever we do under Woolf he'll ever get the praise, that was as good a performance as Wigan last year in the semi final, albeit we absolutely destroyed them in 40 minutes last year..

What I will add is that is the first time in a long long time I've seen us go toe to toe with another team in the aggression stakes.. all too often we've been accused of being too soft, particularly in big games, however last night we were up for it without going over the top..

In the circumstances that was a brilliant performance

Got A Season Ticket

There was a face scrape on LMS by Mead after his head tackle, Maloney did something similar on Lomax. On both occasions our players piled in without trying to punch everybody, happy with that wouldn't stand for it but showed controlled restraint.

I still think the head shots we are going to get next week our players should stay down on the ground otherwise the ref will show some tolerance to the offence which would go in Wigoons favour.
    Spot on, go down and stay down after every head shot. Grace should of stayed down a bit longer last night. I don’t like to see any player get sent off but head shots are starting to become the norm in the game and something needs to be done. Maybe a 20 min sin bin will reduce high tackles.