Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Thompson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    The signing is confirmed but no news re Zeb
    Sorry to be pedantic but the signing isn’t confirmed yet. He’s confirmed he’s leaving and coming over here but no word from Saints yet.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    One for the teenagers..
    That is the problem, no obvious candidates who are "One of the teenagers". Foster and Wingfield are the only junior backrowers in the squad and neither have any games under there belts or race reviews.

Outside of the existing starters in the back row. There is Bentley, if he re-signs, is soon going to be a starter.

Ashworth you can argue is more a backrower than a prop, but we are reaching there.

Batchelor doesn't look up to it, so that is kinda it.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Here's the official NRL websites story https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/15/...elens-in-2021/ Have always rated him myself ( I do watch a lot of NRL) - as usual it will all depend on how Saints use him, a similar player is Jackson at the Bulldogs - they both do a great job for their clubs but arent "back page stars"

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    Interesting signing. Zeb Taia is going to be really hard to replace for you guys. He is one of the best signings you have made in the past 20 years. An unsung hero who gets through a ton of work. Joel Thompson looks like he may be a stop gap for a better signing further down the line but with Super League in it's current climate a solid second rower isnt a bad signing on the face of it.
    It's not just the work that Taia does, it's his ability to offload the ball and he knows where the try line is too. Can Joel Thompson offer this? I'm not sure. He isn't Viliame Kikau and of course not a player that could be enticed over here at this stage in his career, but signing Thompson is another one of those which could go either way and Saints recent history at bringing players of this type over from the NRL, has been questionable and some haven't performed as expected- Joseph Paulo & Luke Douglas before him. Both well respected players in the NRL who came over here at the latter stages of their careers. Taia & Naiqama on the other hand, had both played over here before and done well (Taia was brilliant at Catalan especially) and so were almost certain to be good signings.

For these reasons, I'd be interested to know if Saints inquired about Josh Jones's availability? Given the rumour that he is looking to leave Hull FC. He can offload the ball, scores tries and is a proven SL performer. Signing from within SL might cost a transfer fee yes, but weakens the opposition, leaving them to look elsewhere and take a chance on a signing from the NRL.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    That is the problem, no obvious candidates who are "One of the teenagers". Foster and Wingfield are the only junior backrowers in the squad and neither have any games under there belts or race reviews.

Outside of the existing starters in the back row. There is Bentley, if he re-signs, is soon going to be a starter.

Ashworth you can argue is more a backrower than a prop, but we are reaching there.

Batchelor doesn't look up to it, so that is kinda it.
    �� No sorry didn't mean that, 'one for the teenagers' was in response to a mention of eighties pop flash in the pan Sidney Youngblood.. Don't worry most people won't have even noticed or know who he is for that matter..

Banned

Thankfully some of us are of an age to remember Sydney. Also those of us who still frequent Wilfs for your haircut, they are calling it a day.

Noooobie

I remember Wilfs. Keith has just retired I read somewhere. On the corner of oxford street and cooper street in my day. Good chippy on cooper street too at the time

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Thankfully some of us are of an age to remember Sydney. Also those of us who still frequent Wilfs for your haircut, they are calling it a day.
    This could be the exposure Sydney needs to reignite his career.

Just stumbled across an article on Joel Thompson which mentioned he has won Players Player of the Year at Manly in 2018 and 2019. He also captained the NRL indigenous side last year. We are signing someone very highly thought of over there it seems.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 16th June 2020 at 11:21.

Interview with him here discussing his departure:

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/20...and-my-family/

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    �� No sorry didn't mean that, 'one for the teenagers' was in response to a mention of eighties pop flash in the pan Sidney Youngblood.. Don't worry most people won't have even noticed or know who he is for that matter..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Copped it and replied post 18 "if only he could." Well done Cyprus good play on words don`t think he had any more but charted the same time as Halo James also "he could have told us so."

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    For the past 2 seasons I have been thinking Zeb is past it, but he keeps proving me wrong. I can't remember the last SR we had that was as good as Zeb at putting his centre into space.
    Spend most of the game shouting for him to move inside as he stops a lot of ball getting wider to good centres and starves the wingers of early ball , been a plodder for last two seasons IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Just stumbled across an article on Josh Thompson which mentioned he has won Players Player of the Year at Manly in 2018 and 2019. He also captained the NRL indigenous side last year. We are signing someone very highly thought of over there it seems.
    Who? We signing Joel's brother too?
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    Who? We signing Joel's brother too?
    Haha I’ve had a shocker there. I’ll edit it now.

Haha I’ve had a shocker there. I’ll edit it now.
    Put it down to Covid-brain.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    It's not just the work that Taia does, it's his ability to offload the ball and he knows where the try line is too. Can Joel Thompson offer this? I'm not sure. He isn't Viliame Kikau and of course not a player that could be enticed over here at this stage in his career, but signing Thompson is another one of those which could go either way and Saints recent history at bringing players of this type over from the NRL, has been questionable and some haven't performed as expected- Joseph Paulo & Luke Douglas before him. Both well respected players in the NRL who came over here at the latter stages of their careers. Taia & Naiqama on the other hand, had both played over here before and done well (Taia was brilliant at Catalan especially) and so were almost certain to be good signings.

For these reasons, I'd be interested to know if Saints inquired about Josh Jones's availability? Given the rumour that he is looking to leave Hull FC. He can offload the ball, scores tries and is a proven SL performer. Signing from within SL might cost a transfer fee yes, but weakens the opposition, leaving them to look elsewhere and take a chance on a signing from the NRL.

Regards,

STEVO
    Kevin Naiqama had never played over here before.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Neither had Gidley, Fairleigh, Cayless, Britt,etc. who were all excellent for us. The truth is signing 30+ Aussies can be hit and miss and until he’s here nobody knows how it’s going to pan out. But from what I’ve seen of him and the more I read about him, the more confident I am that he’ll be a good signing for us.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Well he did play for Fiji in the World Cup, but I'd confused him with his brother at London

Neither had Gidley, Fairleigh, Cayless, Britt,etc. who were all excellent for us. The truth is signing 30+ Aussies can be hit and miss and until he’s here nobody knows how it’s going to pan out. But from what I’ve seen of him and the more I read about him, the more confident I am that he’ll be a good signing for us.
    That's what I'm getting at (and not just the one's in their 30's). If a player such as Jones was available, he would've been the one I'd have gone for, for the reasons I've outlined. Of course we don't know what the finances involved in any deal was though.

Regards,

STEVO
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 16th June 2020 at 14:49.

In The South Stand

Jones saying he wants out of Hull and Jones actually being available are two different things. Hull could very well decide they want him and not let him go,they could ask for a transfer fee. Also he has said in the press he is happy to stay at Hull and the rumours have come from left field and sources indicate the player was just as surprised to see the reports linking him away. We have signed a player that is actually available and talk of Jones is all if,maybe and possibly.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Jones saying he wants out of Hull and Jones actually being available are two different things. Hull could very well decide they want him and not let him go,they could ask for a transfer fee. Also he has said in the press he is happy to stay at Hull and the rumours have come from left field and sources indicate the player was just as surprised to see the reports linking him away. We have signed a player that is actually available and talk of Jones is all if,maybe and possibly.
    Warrington think he's signed sealed and delivered to them along with McMeeken.

In The South Stand

I’m struggling to think of too many 30+ year old forwards (at the time of signing), especially props, that have come over here to play for any Super League side in the past 5 years.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m struggling to think of too many 30+ year old forwards (at the time of signing), especially props, that have come over here to play for any Super League side in the past 5 years.
    Prior to Leeds this season off the top of my head.

In The South Stand

Prior to Leeds this season off the top of my head.
    Not seen enough of him, tbh.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Warrington think he's signed sealed and delivered to them along with McMeeken.
    Wish I could get my money to stretch as far as their salary cap seems to!!!!

Interview with him here discussing his departure:

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/20...and-my-family/
    Great video to be fair. Comes across as a genuinely good guy and someone who will thrive on the opportunity!