Thread: Kristian Woolf New Coach

Default Kristian Woolf New Coach

Kristian Woolf is “confirmed” on Twitter as our new coach

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    He's from Mount Isa. I've been there. He will think St Helens is mining mecca.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    It may well be Woolf's year next year then.

Learning All The Songs

coach Kristian Woolf

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Little disappointed. Thought Demetriou would have been the better pick but I trust Rush and the board have got it right following the Cunningham saga. I dont know all that much about this guy and the surname is terrible lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

He’s been Nathan Browns understudy, what could go wrong? ‘Cough cough Cunningham’

Seriously though. I hope Rush has the right man. If he’s got something to offer why haven’t Newcastle given him the job in place of Brown. Perhaps im being cynical.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Not sure what I think about this if its true. Being an assistant to Nathon Brown doesn't fill me with optimism at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Not sure what I think about this if its true. Being an assistant to Nathon Brown doesn't fill me with optimism at the moment.
    Could be wrong here so apologies if I am.

Was Holbrook an assistant to Robinson at Sydney Roosters? Just saying as I think Robinson is the best coach in the game & Holbrook being assistant to him would have taught him a lot.

My opinions on Brown are positive but could this be clouded by him picking up a pot for us? What I did like about Brown is that he moulded a really big aggressive pack & he did give Thompson his chance.

If Woolf is similar in his methods, then we will certainly be looking at a big forward unit but whether the style changes, guess we don't know.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Will 2020 finally be the year of the Woolf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    He’s been Nathan Browns understudy, what could go wrong? ‘Cough cough Cunningham’

Seriously though. I hope Rush has the right man. If he’s got something to offer why haven’t Newcastle given him the job in place of Brown. Perhaps im being cynical.
    Not cynical at all. Fair point well made. Maybe he's took the view that he's better taking a head coach job over here first. It does seem to be the in thing now. NRL club assistant, SL club HC, NRL club HC

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Not cynical at all. Fair point well made. Maybe he's took the view that he's better taking a head coach job over here first. It does seem to be the in thing now. NRL club assistant, SL club HC, NRL club HC
    Yeh mate that does seem to be the common procedure nowadays.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Could be wrong here so apologies if I am.

Was Holbrook an assistant to Robinson at Sydney Roosters? Just saying as I think Robinson is the best coach in the game & Holbrook being assistant to him would have taught him a lot.

My opinions on Brown are positive but could this be clouded by him picking up a pot for us? What I did like about Brown is that he moulded a really big aggressive pack & he did give Thompson his chance.

If Woolf is similar in his methods, then we will certainly be looking at a big forward unit but whether the style changes, guess we don't know.
    Its your last line of comment which concerns me a bit, we've moved on quite a bit with a big aggressive pack trying to dominate the middle to a more mobile athletic one. My main concern is losing our attacking prowess, when Holbrook first came into the club he quickly went full on with passing skills in the pre season and Longy was responsible for developing our attacking shapes. Now that both are not around next season I'm a bit worried our structure might erode and we become more predictable in plays.

I,m assuming Rush had a No 1 target in O'Brien who has turned us down on 2 occasions, he was the one who I thought would be better sited to our style of play, the only thing Woolfe has from a positive point of view was the Tongan team and how they played.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think we've just got to trust the judgment of Rush on this one. He pulled off a blinder in Holbrook and I've no doubt will have applied a very similar approach in his interview techniques and wil have been looking for a similar kind of coach and person for the role. If Woolf is deemed the best fit then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

As with Holbrook, none of us really has a clue. Let’s hope he turns out to be as good an appointment.

Learning All The Songs

If he gets lost will he be a Where Wolf and because he is a Kristian does that make him a lost soul, no I`d say he is good fun even a howl.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its your last line of comment which concerns me a bit, we've moved on quite a bit with a big aggressive pack trying to dominate the middle to a more mobile athletic one. My main concern is losing our attacking prowess, when Holbrook first came into the club he quickly went full on with passing skills in the pre season and Longy was responsible for developing our attacking shapes. Now that both are not around next season I'm a bit worried our structure might erode and we become more predictable in plays.

I,m assuming Rush had a No 1 target in O'Brien who has turned us down on 2 occasions, he was the one who I thought would be better sited to our style of play, the only thing Woolfe has from a positive point of view was the Tongan team and how they played.
    Fully agree STIDDY

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I don’t claim to know too much about him but any fears over his potential playing style seem odd to me, given how the Tongan national side play. They don’t seem overly rigid or structured.

Let’s just trust Rush has got it right.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

If with luck we win at least one trophy this year, which will make it a strange situation for a new coach to come in to. Usually coaches take over due to a struggling team. With that situation you have a bit more freedom to change the way a team plays. If as said we have a successful season how does a new coach approach next season? I also wonder if any candidates (many who appear to be assistants) were put off taking over a successful team. KC found this out although our team was not as good as it is now it was successful trophy wise.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I don’t claim to know too much about him but any fears over his potential playing style seem odd to me, given how the Tongan national side play. They don’t seem overly rigid or structured.

Let’s just trust Rush has got it right.

I hope so as well. I know nothing of any of the coaches mentioned who could take over, but I do hope it’s a coach who will work with our young kids and have an ability like JH to bring them on. As much as I enjoy the (some) overseas guys who have added a lot, there is nothing better than having a team littered with local / U.K. lads who have come through our system. The last thing I want is a coach coming in and wanting 3 or 4 ageing NRL guys...
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Default Kristian Woolf New Coach

Kristain Woolf has won the race to be Saints new head coach. Newcastle Knights assistant.

Announcement soon

@nrlknights

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Little disappointed. Thought Demetriou would have been the better pick but I trust Rush and the board have got it right following the Cunningham saga. I dont know all that much about this guy and the surname is terrible lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At least I know a bit about Demetriou, but apparently he wasn't interested. Apart from reading the internet I don't know anything about this guy. He seems to have had a decent career coaching at a lower/youth level. It's a pity we can't get him over now to spend the last few games with Holbrook

In The South Stand

Sincerely hope there is no announcement this week. Focus.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Fully agree STIDDY
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    If with luck we win at least one trophy this year, which will make it a strange situation for a new coach to come in to. Usually coaches take over due to a struggling team. With that situation you have a bit more freedom to change the way a team plays. If as said we have a successful season how does a new coach approach next season? I also wonder if any candidates (many who appear to be assistants) were put off taking over a successful team. KC found this out although our team was not as good as it is now it was successful trophy wise.
    I think that you are right generally, but not in the case of Saints. We Brought in McCrae, Hanley, Millward, Anderson and Potter when we weren't struggling. Plus KC.

Got A Season Ticket

Mike Rush is very naive if he thinks it will be kept confidential so a really daft comment to make but I am not surprised- there are no secrets in sport any more especially in Australia where the game is akin to football here.