Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greatest ever try

In The South Stand

I am just glad that I was young when I was and I agree with Woolyback these days there is too much coach planning .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’d pick the 1961 Cup Final Vollenhoven try because:

1. It is one of my best memories of any game and that was my first trip to Wembley;

2. It was real teamwork between Voll and Large. They both ran like the wind but the timing of the passes was impeccable.

I’m afraid that memory is a funny thing and highly selective and that try just stands out. Funnily, another one that stands out was the game against Wigan at Langtree Park (my memory won’t tell me the year) when Tommy Makinson had dropped back, caught the ball on the full and ran like the wind making fools of two defenders. He was tackled but the Wigan defence was not set and Joe Greenwood scored. For some reason I love that try. It was the game where Pat Richards kicked an amazing drop goal.
    It was 2013

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I picked the 61 try for the same reasons you did, the sheer emotion when those two were running down the right and seeing Voll score in my first time at Wembley, something I'll never forget. With regard to TM his try at Magic, I think 3 years ago, has to up there as one of the best Solo efforts for a try.
    TM’s try at Magic was something else with so many defenders failing to stop him. The whole game was a bit surreal because I wouldn’t have expected a score line like that. The Holbrook effect and I’m missing Holbrook even though we’re not playing.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    It was 2013
    Thank you. I didn’t think it was that long ago. Time flies.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I think these change throughout the years. The greatest tries tend to be the ones that stick in the memory. For me, right now typing, the best individual try has to be Anthony Sulliavans try at Wigan in the 2000 play offs. At 12-6 (i think) it was a close game, half time approaching. Wigan put a bomb up to him, catches it, dodges Dallas before beating Robinson, Radlinski and Connolly (4 well respected international players) on his way to putting us 2 score up at half tine. At that moment, we knew we were going to Old Trafford, and in style!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think these change throughout the years. The greatest tries tend to be the ones that stick in the memory. For me, right now typing, the best individual try has to be Anthony Sulliavans try at Wigan in the 2000 play offs. At 12-6 (i think) it was a close game, half time approaching. Wigan put a bomb up to him, catches it, dodges Dallas before beating Robinson, Radlinski and Connolly (4 well respected international players) on his way to putting us 2 score up at half tine. At that moment, we knew we were going to Old Trafford, and in style!!
    That was a belting try, I nearly missed it as I was going for a slash and managed to get back up the steps to see him do Radlinski.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    That was a belting try, I nearly missed it as I was going for a slash and managed to get back up the steps to see him do Radlinski.
    It was a scorcher mate. Even a couple of Wiganers at that end applauded it. That game was magic. It was as if the fans knew we were going to hand them a pasting for beating us at Knowsley Rd in the final regular round.

Got A Season Ticket UhAhGeorgie Mann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    It was 2013
    Was that seriously 7 years ago?! Frightening. Was that the same game matty Bowen kept dropping the ball and we hammered him with chanting from behind the sticks? Or was that a couple of years later?

Quote Originally Posted by UhAhGeorgie Mann View Post
    Was that seriously 7 years ago?! Frightening. Was that the same game matty Bowen kept dropping the ball and we hammered him with chanting from behind the sticks? Or was that a couple of years later?
    No pal. Bowen was there in 2014/2015. I think Lewis Tierney was fullback for that game in 2013.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    It was a scorcher mate. Even a couple of Wiganers at that end applauded it. That game was magic. It was as if the fans knew we were going to hand them a pasting for beating us at Knowsley Rd in the final regular round.
    About 2.20 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3_7N48Lak&t=195s

Starting A Programme Collection

Really enjoyed that, thanks for posting it, classic commentary from Ron

Adie Gardner's against Brisbane was a belter. Darius Boyd was the winger he outjumped & he was no mug

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Some great tries there apart from the Sullivan one. Only outshone by the commentary. I really thought we played our most entertaining rugby under Millward, though he probably had the best squad we have ever had.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Adie Gardner's against Brisbane was a belter. Darius Boyd was the winger he outjumped & he was no mug
    I though Ade got us going in a few big games with that type of effort. He never showed any fear for his health when he was going in like that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Some great tries there apart from the Sullivan one. Only outshone by the commentary. I really thought we played our most entertaining rugby under Millward, though he probably had the best squad we have ever had.
    I loved those days, it feels like a lifetime ago now with all the structure and robotic tactics. I didn't miss a game for 3 seasons around that that time, travelling all over with my mates, heady days.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UhAhGeorgie Mann View Post
    That was 2015

Noooobie

What about the try at Wakefield on a Sunday at Belle Vue after 11 seconds by Darren Albert. Wakefield kicked off and away we went.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    What about the try at Wakefield on a Sunday at Belle Vue after 11 seconds by Darren Albert. Wakefield kicked off and away we went.
    I think we kicked off and got possession straight from it but I may be wrong.

Noooobie

Yes you correct straight from a Long kick off to the left wing towards the Wakey Benidorm end.
    We played in the blue shirts with green and white trim.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    Oh i remember that game had ttouble with few wakey fans leaving the ground that day