Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Player signings for next season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Hampshire seems to move around a lot .
    Came through at Wigan and was loaned out a couple of times to get experience but only been at Leigh and Wakefield since.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I think Lewis Dodd will come through to cover any Lomax, Fages issues. Have seen a lot of him and am really impressed. With regular playing in reserves next year and some first team duties he will be fine.
    I agree we need a winger to cover Tommy and Grace though.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Thing is with Richardson he's no further in his development than when he broke into the team, if anything he's gone backwards. He's not as young as people think and he's still making the same mistakes. Part of me thinks all that hype around him was just extra form you see sometimes when young players break into a side (similar to smithies now) and the other part was riding on the barba wave. If the club can get 65k I think it's good business, something tells me he won't want to stay here as a backup and that's probably down to the hype around him early last year.
    Last edited by The frenchman; 26th September 2019 at 15:12.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Came through at Wigan and was loaned out a couple of times to get experience but only been at Leigh and Wakefield since.
    He was at Cas for a season as well , it's a strange one with Hampshire he's a Wakefield lad all his family support Wakey he played every game for them last year was there top try scorer he wasn't asking for a fortune in his new contract someone told me but they decided to let him go

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I agree we need a winger to cover Tommy and Grace though.
    I think we've been in a luxury position this season of having Swift and Richardson as back up players, when they'd probably be 1st teamers at other sides. It was inevitable they'd move on if they didn't think they had a chance of getting back in.

It may be that Saints feel comfortable in some of the younger lads like Costello, Simm and Welsby and feel we can cover the backs with those lads. It's a risk if one of the key players gets injured, but it's difficult to sign a back that is of quality who will want to sit in the reserves all season whereas in the forwards you rotate more so players are more willing to play that role (like Amor and Bentley for example).

There's no doubt our squad will be a little thinner next season though without Swift and Richardson, whilst the sides around us are improving their squads. You've just got to hope some of these young players are good ones who can step up or maybe we will line a signing up if there are more outgoings than expected?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think we've been in a luxury position this season of having Swift and Richardson as back up players, when they'd probably be 1st teamers at other sides. It was inevitable they'd move on if they didn't think they had a chance of getting back in.

It may be that Saints feel comfortable in some of the younger lads like Costello, Simm and Welsby and feel we can cover the backs with those lads. It's a risk if one of the key players gets injured, but it's difficult to sign a back that is of quality who will want to sit in the reserves all season whereas in the forwards you rotate more so players are more willing to play that role (like Amor and Bentley for example).

There's no doubt our squad will be a little thinner next season though without Swift and Richardson, whilst the sides around us are improving their squads. You've just got to hope some of these young players are good ones who can step up or maybe we will line a signing up if there are more outgoings than expected?
    We have Costello and Simm as outside back cover along with Welsby for 1/6. Dodd got into the 19 for one of the London games so mustn't be a million miles off.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    He was at Cas for a season as well , it's a strange one with Hampshire he's a Wakefield lad all his family support Wakey he played every game for them last year was there top try scorer he wasn't asking for a fortune in his new contract someone told me but they decided to let him go
    That was on loan from Wigan I think.

Yeah they let him go as he wanted more money. He tweeted that he only found this out on Twitter when Wakefield announced who was leaving.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Yeah they let him go as he wanted more money. He tweeted that he only found this out on Twitter when Wakefield announced who was leaving.
    Yes sorry it was a season long loan from Wigan
    Yes there seems to have been a fall out between Carter and Hampshire over his new contract and in the end they just let him leave as his contract ran out

I think it possibly goes in cycles with the salary cap. A team has a clutch of good youngsters come through on not a huge wage, the club has success and 18/24 months down the line they warrant wage increases which puts the squeeze on new signings. Maybe that’s us at the moment
    Last edited by Sean Day; 26th September 2019 at 15:47.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

That's spot on YG , the lad even said after his 2 try score against London and as quoted " I think I deserve more" as was quoted on an ex players website.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Exactly why the likes of Hampshire would be a shrewd signing. Unless the club we confident Welsby will be ready as our “first reserve” in 2020.
    I think he is ready now. If Coote went home tomorrow I thing Welsby would be our starting full back. However he needs to sort out his catching before we could trust him in a big game.

As for cover in the backs we have...

Welsby covering 1,3,4,6
    Costello covering 1,3,4
    Dodd covering 6,7 (if Richardson leaves)
    Simms covering 3,4

Which only leaves us short cover on the wing, but Naiqama could easily move out if needed. As well as Costello and Percy

Hampshire is apparently on 60k at Wakefield but thinks he is worth more (80-100k maybe?). So whoever signs him will have to start him to justify the money he wants.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think he is ready now. If Coote went home tomorrow I thing Welsby would be our starting full back. However he needs to sort out his catching before we could trust him in a big game.

Welsby covering 1,3,4,6
    Costello covering 1,3,4
    Simms covering 3,4

Which only leaves us short cover on the wing, but Naiqama could easily move out if needed. As well as Costello and Percy

Hampshire is apparently on 60k at Wakefield but thinks he is worth more (80-100k maybe?). So whoever signs him will have to start him to justify the money he wants.
    Agree with all of that.
    Think costello needs to do something in the pre-season to stop his current trjectory of morphing into Matty Fleming.

Even at £75K Hampshire's potential wedge would be a bit rich for a back up winger.
    If the squad needed a week in week out bench 14 who could do 1.6.7.9 and wing he would be ideal but we don't.

A championship or academy bolter who was an out and out winger with gas would be ideal.

Would be interesting to know the wage spread at Saints particualrly the likes of amor LMS and peyroux.

One forward out one in is the word on the street. Wait and see.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

Welsby covering 1,3,4,6
    Costello covering 1,3,4
    Simms covering 3,4

Hampshire is not worth that money as a back up, and I don't see him being a starter in any position.

Amor looks set for Wakefield.

Quota replacement likely.
    Sam Lisone and Seb ikahihifo both names that have been
    thrown up.
    Lisone seems the more credible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

thrown up.
    I'd like Jason Taumololo. Make it happen Gerry

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

thrown up.
    Based on what? I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t here next season.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

One Forward out errr Douglas??

One in ????
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Your tinder choice noted Ralph , but outside my purview.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    One Forward out errr Douglas??

One in ????
    The One forward in One forward out has been doing the rounds post Morgan,Swift and Douglas out.

Couple of wakey fans I'm in touch with.

Hirst ,england and Pauli gone only Tangata in.

No extension announced at Saints for Amor.

In The West Stand

thrown up.
    Ikahihifo was rumoured earlier in the year but is on a big wedge at Huddersfield I imagine we wouldn’t be willing to match.

Lisone was rumoured to Hull at one point I think?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Ikahihifo was rumoured earlier in the year but is on a big wedge at Huddersfield I imagine we wouldn’t be willing to match.

Lisone was rumoured to Hull at one point I think?
    I've mentioned Ikahihifo a few times. Shows up well for The Giants when I've seen them.

Hull FC have signed Manu Ma'u and Josh Jones havent they? Mahe Fonua coming back as well.

Hull KR bringing in SKD.

Interesting to read today about Anthony Gelling going to Warrington.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs

Didn't we loan out overseas players to comply with the salary cap?, surely we would be in the same position again if we signed more. Thought Amor had another year yet.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I've mentioned Ikahihifo a few times. Shows up well for The Giants when I've seen them.

Hull FC have signed Manu Ma'u and Josh Jones havent they? Mahe Fonua coming back as well.

Hull KR bringing in SKD.

Interesting to read today about Anthony Gelling going to Warrington.

Regards,

STEVO
    Love the understated quote by Gelling on signing for Wire: "I'm hoping to come in as the big saviour; hopefully we will do it next year and break the curse."

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Didn't we loan out overseas players to comply with the salary cap?, surely we would be in the same position again if we signed more. Thought Amor had another year yet.
    So did I ,and I think that would work for both parties, another year would add some depth whilst we plan for the future