For those of you who haven’t seen it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/sta...29827155152905

Stevo is right on this one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    For those of you who haven’t seen it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/sta...29827155152905

Stevo is right on this one.

So are the people who've Tweeted along the lines that the Sky presentation is crap since E&S left.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    So are the people who've Tweeted along the lines that the Sky presentation is crap since E&S left.
    I'll be honest and say that I was one of Eddie and Stevo's fiercest critics towards the end of their tenure. However, at least they were personalities within the game rather than the faceless non entities who present it now. However nonsensical Stevo's ramblings became, no one could deny his love of the game or his achievements on the field. As time went on SKY allowed these two to become parody figures instead of updating the presentation by natural progression, easing in new faces and a new format. What replaced "Boots and All"? Where is the magazine programme promoting the game and "building up" fixtures? Some sports have entire SKY channels devoted to them (do people really watch all the mortifying guff about the NFL during its closed season?) yet when there's no on field event we get Brian Carney in a cupbooard "presenting" our awards ceremony. Cheap, tatty and damaging to the credibility of the sport. All this not only has a knock on effect regarding potential fans but also potential sponsors. Why have SKY let thing slip so badly?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I criticised it when those two were there, but sometimes, better the devil you know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I criticised it when those two were there, but sometimes, better the devil you know.

Me too!

Used to actually like them in the first decade or so of SL - and I think they had a soft spot for us. But after around 2006, they started running us down so much - and went into overdrive on the kissing Leeds' backsides all the time. Then after Anderson left, we were kind of shunted to being an inconsequential nothing-team and it was all Leeds and wi*an.

So I wanted a new start for the presentation.

A stark case of 'be careful what you wish for'

In The South Stand

There’s no doubting Eddie and Stevo needed to be moved on a few years before they eventually did but for the most part, they and the Sky presentation was actually very good.

As a slightly related note to how important Rugby League is to Sky, the rights to the Challenge Cup they had, has now gone to Premier Sports.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    As a slightly related note to how important Rugby League is to Sky, the rights to the Challenge Cup they had, has now gone to Premier Sports.
    And no mention of any money changing hands for the privilege which is a bit worrying.

There’s no doubting Eddie and Stevo needed to be moved on a few years before they eventually did but for the most part, they and the Sky presentation was actually very good.

I think it’s the Championship, rather than Challenge Cup, rights that Premier Sports have obtained.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think it’s the Championship, rather than Challenge Cup, rights that Premier Sports have obtained.
    They’ve got the non-BBC challenge cup games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I'll be honest and say that I was one of Eddie and Stevo's fiercest critics towards the end of their tenure. However, at least they were personalities within the game rather than the faceless non entities who present it now. However nonsensical Stevo's ramblings became, no one could deny his love of the game or his achievements on the field. As time went on SKY allowed these two to become parody figures instead of updating the presentation by natural progression, easing in new faces and a new format. What replaced "Boots and All"? Where is the magazine programme promoting the game and "building up" fixtures? Some sports have entire SKY channels devoted to them (do people really watch all the mortifying guff about the NFL during its closed season?) yet when there's no on field event we get Brian Carney in a cupbooard "presenting" our awards ceremony. Cheap, tatty and damaging to the credibility of the sport. All this not only has a knock on effect regarding potential fans but also potential sponsors. Why have SKY let thing slip so badly?

I was upset that they cut the NRL gf within seconds of the result.

All that buildup then no analysis
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    They have the championship yes,but " The deal also includes coverage of seven Betfred Challenge Cup ties through the spring, as Premier Sports have secured secondary rights to the competition - including two of the quarter finals. "

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I was upset that they cut the NRL gf within seconds of the result.

All that buildup then no analysis
    They didn't on Sky Sports Mix 416

In The South Stand

Me too!

Used to actually like them in the first decade or so of SL - and I think they had a soft spot for us. But after around 2006, they started running us down so much - and went into overdrive on the kissing Leeds' backsides all the time. Then after Anderson left, we were kind of shunted to being an inconsequential nothing-team and it was all Leeds and wi*an.

So I wanted a new start for the presentation.

A stark case of 'be careful what you wish for'
    I agree with you and Belgian on the be careful what you wish for/better the devil you know points.

Eddie chose to do the Derby as his last game and I think he nominated Regan as his favourite player and it’s clear Stevo admires and respects Robes (as most people do) so maybe they were just doing what they were asked to do talking up Leeds and Wigan. It’s a great pity Sky just can’t find a commentator in Eddie’s league before he went of the boil a bit.

Learning All The Songs

It was stated numerous times that we would miss them both.
    Some fans are never happy, conspiracy theories on commentators, disciplinary bias and "anti their club" agendas are spouted by all and fans who benefit from errors say that these opposition supporters are stupid, inbred, ignorants (yep someone will insert the Wigan jibe) despite behaving the same way themselves when it seemingly goes against their team.
    Commentary is obviously a difficult task otherwise the role would have been filled seamlessly on Eddie`s retirement but whoever got the job no matter how well they did would not be up to the task in some folks eyes.
    Kev Brown is a very good analyst and speaks clearly, Long & Pryce are an obvious big step down and Jodie Cunnigham another level below, yet the latter names there have all been touted as permanent replacements by some on here.
    Carney is a very good presenter and the guests add something but it is commentary where we are very bad, hold interviews and get a few young people to give it a shot for a while, there has to be someone can do better.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Some fans are never happy, conspiracy theories on commentators, disciplinary bias and "anti their club" agendas are spouted by all and fans who benefit from errors say that these opposition supporters are stupid, inbred, ignorants (yep someone will insert the Wigan jibe) despite behaving the same way themselves when it seemingly goes against their team.
    Commentary is obviously a difficult task otherwise the role would have been filled seamlessly on Eddie`s retirement but whoever got the job no matter how well they did would not be up to the task in some folks eyes.
    Kev Brown is a very good analyst and speaks clearly, Long & Pryce are an obvious big step down and Jodie Cunnigham another level below, yet the latter names there have all been touted as permanent replacements by some on here.
    Carney is a very good presenter and the guests add something but it is commentary where we are very bad, hold interviews and get a few young people to give it a shot for a while, there has to be someone can do better.
    Agree with all of that I think Carney is excellent, not afraid to ask difficult questions. I did like the quip to Leon Pryce last week, quite funny. As you said it's the actual commentary team that is poor. Dave Woods is probably the best on BBC but we certainly don't have an Andrew Voss anywhere in our ranks.
    There must be someone at media school who could do the job. Was it Clive Tyldesley who used to commentate on RL on ITV back in the day. He was very good IMO.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

I thought Kyle Amor did a good job, what did you think

In The South Stand

Carney as “excellent” is a long stretch of the definition of “excellent”. I’ve never heard anyone stumble and stutter through sentences quite like him.

Amor was good from what I saw, though it’s a low bar that we are comparing against.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

I like the pundits really - Carney, Wells, Wilkin - even Phil Clarke. Not too keen on the two Macs. But as has been said it’s the commentary that is so poor.

Learning All The Songs

Carney as “excellent” is a long stretch of the definition of “excellent”. I’ve never heard anyone stumble and stutter through sentences quite like him.

Amor was good from what I saw, though itÂ’s a low bar that we are comparing against.
    Personally I did not see Kyle but the feedback on here and comments from neutrals was that he was very good.
    DC, Carney does not stumble/stutter his words it is an Irish trait, listen to Ken Doherty, Niall Quinn or Steve Collins they speak in a similar staccato style, which seems to be sought after by other sports!! One thing that accent has is clarity (allegedly the best spoken English is in Dublin and Edinburgh) as oppose to Lancashire & Yorkshire accents which at times you need sub-titles for.
    I have said before my missus asks what Wello is saying when interviewed, I have to translate and concede I only understand half of it.
    I think Carney who has no history of RL before his 21st birthday is a breath of fresh air for our game a real convert who has immersed himself into league culture. Excellent and professional would be a phrase I would use to describe him. I have no doubt he could commentate as well but who would present ? Yep you would be describing Wells, The Macs or Clarkey as mumbling pantomime misfits.

In The South Stand

Personally I did not see Kyle but the feedback on here and comments from neutrals was that he was very good.
    DC, Carney does not stumble/stutter his words it is an Irish trait, listen to Ken Doherty, Niall Quinn or Steve Collins they speak in a similar staccato style, which seems to be sought after by other sports!! One thing that accent has is clarity (allegedly the best spoken English is in Dublin and Edinburgh) as oppose to Lancashire & Yorkshire accents which at times you need sub-titles for.
    I have said before my missus asks what Wello is saying when interviewed, I have to translate and concede I only understand half of it.
    I think Carney who has no history of RL before his 21st birthday is a breath of fresh air for our game a real convert who has immersed himself into league culture. Excellent and professional would be a phrase I would use to describe him. I have no doubt he could commentate as well but who would present ? Yep you would be describing Wells, The Macs or Clarkey as mumbling pantomime misfits.
    The best English is spoken in Dublin? In my experiences of visiting Dublin 90% of the hospitality industry employees from pubs to hotels to eateries are Polish, so if true, it's nothing to do with Irish pronounciation!

Banned

Get you!

Mr Sanctimonious.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Who apart from yourself alleges the best spoken English is Dublin and Edinburgh? In Scotland I think you will find the English is much clearer in Inverness than Edinburgh (or most of England). As for Dublin, thinking that is the best spoken English, that must be your ties to Ireland. The average working man there speaks it no better than in St Helens.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Who apart from yourself alleges the best spoken English is Dublin and Edinburgh? In Scotland I think you will find the English is much clearer in Inverness than Edinburgh (or most of England). As for Dublin, thinking that is the best spoken English, that must be your ties to Ireland. The average working man there speaks it no better than in St Helens.
    There is somewhere in Ireland (not Dublin) that is supposed to speak the purest English in the sense of being nearest to Shakespearean English and call centre research shows that people respond quite well to some Irish accents. However, this has drifted a long way from a short tribute to the great James Roby.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    There is somewhere in Ireland (not Dublin) that is supposed to speak the purest English in the sense of being nearest to Shakespearean English and call centre research shows that people respond quite well to some Irish accents. However, this has drifted a long way from a short tribute to the great James Roby.
    All right I'll combine your Shakespeare reference and bring it back to Roby "Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them"

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    All right I'll combine your Shakespeare reference and bring it back to Roby "Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them"
    Malvolio, “Twelfth Night”, did it for O Level.

I think Robes has achieved greatness through hard work and discipline. He obviously has a great deal of natural ability but his longevity as a player and the level he’s played at are down to being a grafter who leads by example. I hope he’s at the top of his game tomorrow.