Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George Burgess to Wigan?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

He’s been injured/lazy/crap for the last 3 years. If he can get back to George Burgess of 2014 then Wigan have a player. I can’t see it though. If he can’t pull out his finger for Wayne Bennett and a top NRL team why would he suddenly improve for Wigan?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

It was also announced yesterday that they had signed threequarter for the remainder of this year.

I think the name was Bevan French can't say have heard of him but seems to have a good try scoring record.

To be fair they have to make big signings. Losing the likes of Bateman, Sutton, Williams, Tautai, Sarginson etc. You would expect them to make them. On paper they look much stronger next season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    It was also announced yesterday that they had signed threequarter for the remainder of this year.

I think the name was Bevan French can't say have heard of him but seems to have a good try scoring record.
    He's mainly a winger but has played full back for Parramatta. Hardly played this year for them though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    He's mainly a winger but has played full back for Parramatta. Hardly played this year for them though

Wasnt too long ago he played on the wing for them and took him 60-70 mins to bother to take a carry in the game

Fast but not sure where he is going to fit in with them

Got A Season Ticket

I imagine once the second eye gouging incident was reported Wigan identified a signing that fits their culture and snapped him up.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Wasnt too long ago he played on the wing for them and took him 60-70 mins to bother to take a carry in the game

Fast but not sure where he is going to fit in with them
    That will probably go with 6 wingers next season, seems to be their addiction with that position.

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Lots of jealousy on here, would have loved him at Saints if Thompson has decided to leave. Simple facts are Wigan will be much stronger next season with Hastings & Burgess brilliant pieces of business.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    Lots of jealousy on here, would have loved him at Saints if Thompson has decided to leave. Simple facts are Wigan will be much stronger next season with Hastings & Burgess brilliant pieces of business.
    It would be hard for them to be much worse. I would take Thompson, Walmsley, Hill, Cooper, Taylor, Watts, Fafita, Bousquets, Kasiano before G Burgess in the league at the moment and that’s just off the top of my head.

Thompson isn’t leaving this year, so is completely irrelevant?

Also it’s a marquee on a prop.

This

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    It would be hard for them to be much worse. I would take Thompson, Walmsley, Hill, Cooper, Taylor, Watts, Fafita, Bousquets, Kasiano before G Burgess in the league at the moment and that’s just off the top of my head.

Thompson isn’t leaving this year, so is completely irrelevant?

Also it’s a marquee on a prop.
    I'm reading he's not a marquee signing

Learning All The Songs

I agree

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    I agree
    Are you blind??? or have you not not played against Burgess?????

Learning All The Songs

Don know abo jealousy but the way I see it is hast is a great signing an upgrade on Williams but burgess is more risky as he's not set the world alight for a couple of seasons and his disciplines poor.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I'm reading he's not a marquee signing

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/geo...deal-1-9902885

“He will become Wigan's second marquee player, after Hastings.”

Yep. The two things they definitely needed were a proper halfback and a big prop (or two or three). They've made two significant steps in the right direction and will be much stronger next year.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/geo...deal-1-9902885

“He will become Wigan's second marquee player, after Hastings.”
    Differing reports about a wigan signing? He's probably not even been sent a contract yet!

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

And you'd think Warrington will be with Widdop added to the mix, Catalans with Maloney and I think its been confirmed Mahe Fonua is going back to Hull FC hasn't it?

It's good for the competition and will be interesting to see what Saints do? I know there's the argument that if it ain't broke... But I would say there's always room for improvement!

Also, a little surprised Wigan have also signed Bevan French as of immediate effect, not because I don't think he will add to their side/squad, but they are blessed with good wingers already and have Hardaker at full back. I'd be interested to read what the Wigan fans on here think of that one- who's spot will he take?

Regards,

STEVO

Got A Season Ticket

He is potentially a very good signing, I think any attempt to just write it off completely is foolish. You don’t last as long as he has in the NRL if you don’t have anything about you. My only question is how commuted and determined will he be? Less money, lower league and on the back of a huge disappointment in being released by the club his brother is at?

Something tells me Hastings won’t see out his contract, you don’t ask for a release clause if you’re committed.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    He is potentially a very good signing, I think any attempt to just write it off completely is foolish. You don’t last as long as he has in the NRL if you don’t have anything about you. My only question is how commuted and determined will he be? Less money, lower league and on the back of a huge disappointment in being released by the club his brother is at?

Something tells me Hastings won’t see out his contract, you don’t ask for a release clause if you’re committed.
    There are plenty of examples of props lasting many many years in the NRL and flopping completely over here. Prop in the NRL is a very by the numbers position, and it’s a very different game over here. Even Luke Burgess managed 3 years at Souths!

In The South Stand

There are plenty of examples of props lasting many many years in the NRL and flopping completely over here. Prop in the NRL is a very by the numbers position, and it’s a very different game over here. Even Luke Burgess managed 3 years at Souths!
    Has anyone actually watched much NRL this season? While the Wigan fans are understandably buzzing over this signing, I read an article that slammed Burgess, quoting his stats as terrible, including that he averages only 6 hit ups per game this season and averages 75 total metres. Now if he's bringing just one or two kicks off back in those games, it means he's basically doing very little at all. The article also stated he had no NRL offers, not one, including nothing from Souths. So rather than being a great coup by Wigan in fending off multiple offers from both sides of the pond, it seems they may have been the only bidders.

But why? What's not to love about Burgess? He was undeniably a quality player in previous years, what's happened to him to make him so unwanted currently?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

As a Wigan fan, this is a delightful read. Thank you.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Has anyone actually watched much NRL this season? While the Wigan fans are understandably buzzing over this signing, I read an article that slammed Burgess, quoting his stats as terrible, including that he averages only 6 hit ups per game this season and averages 75 total metres. Now if he's bringing just one or two kicks off back in those games, it means he's basically doing very little at all. The article also stated he had no NRL offers, not one, including nothing from Souths. So rather than being a great coup by Wigan in fending off multiple offers from both sides of the pond, it seems they may have been the only bidders.

But why? What's not to love about Burgess? He was undeniably a quality player in previous years, what's happened to him to make him so unwanted currently?
    He might of heard of the drug & drinking culture at Wigan and opened his eyes

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by WIGANER5 View Post
    As a Wigan fan, this is a delightful read. Thank you.
    Do you think Bevan French as been brought in to play full-back ??