Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Player signings for next season

Starting A Programme Collection

A good post! It vital in my view to keep freshening up a team though a combination of new face/s and progression from the apprentices at the club .

It really depends on who is leaving that will determine who we bring in . However , Roby is well on route to a steady decline in terms of his body holding up . It appears Smith , Bentley is possible replacement for him. Even Fages manybe? Zeb is getting on a bit so another player who may need replacing soon. For me , we are lacking a loose forward who can manage and lead so I would like to see us recruit a on field game manager leading from the pack.

On the whole we have a good squad albeit,I think Percival is highly overrated and Grace being to light in attack and prone to making simple errors. I would be happy either of these to be exchanged for better replacement .

Got A Replica Shirt

Hi Div I'm sure we can go again next year with this squad but what if we fail to win the grand final this year will we still be thinking the same ? My Wigan supporting fans tell me the reason we are 16 points clear in the league is that no other team can be bothered putting the effort in for the whole season and it's what happens in the play offs that determine how successful your season as been. Personally I don't buy i to that argument and has a season ticket holder would be dissapointed if the team I support week in week out only put the effort in at the back end of the season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
    Hi Div I'm sure we can go again next year with this squad but what if we fail to win the grand final this year will we still be thinking the same ? My Wigan supporting fans tell me the reason we are 16 points clear in the league is that no other team can be bothered putting the effort in for the whole season and it's what happens in the play offs that determine how successful your season as been. Personally I don't buy i to that argument and has a season ticket holder would be dissapointed if the team I support week in week out only put the effort in at the back end of the season.

Only because they are not 16 points clear.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnno65 View Post
    Blake Austin !
    We won't miss him.

I certainly can’t see a lot of movement in. If I could only pick one it’d be a roughhouse second rower

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I certainly can’t see a lot of movement in. If I could only pick one it’d be a roughhouse second rower
    Agree - back row and scrum half the most obvious areas where improvement could make a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but wasn’t Dash RIPROCK a character from the old Beverley Hillbillies TV series? If that’s correct then being from Wigan would sit well with that kind of Hillbilly character.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Destry View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before but wasn’t Dash RIPROCK a character from the old Beverley Hillbillies TV series? If that’s correct then being from Wigan would sit well with that kind of Hillbilly character.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyX2...annel=MusicFog

Got A Season Ticket

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think the problem we have is we are upto the salary cap and we only have Swift leaving out of the current squad (Douglas and Morgan will be leaving but aren't on the cap) therefore there isn't much room for manoeuvre when signing players. If a current first teamer leaves then maybe that will allow us to improve the squad.

The only type of player we could sign is backup player or a a project type signing and that is also dependent on who we have re signed on new deals. I'd rather use that money on re signing Thompson for example than signing a back up winger or prop.

We just have to hope the new coach brings freshness to the current squad because I do agree with others that whilst were way ahead in the league, that gap will soon close especially given who Wire and Wigan have signed. They will also get stronger for the bigger games which gives them an advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think the problem we have is we are upto the salary cap and we only have Swift leaving out of the current squad (Douglas and Morgan will be leaving but aren't on the cap) therefore there isn't much room for manoeuvre when signing players. If a current first teamer leaves then maybe that will allow us to improve the squad.

The only type of player we could sign is backup player or a a project type signing and that is also dependent on who we have re signed on new deals. I'd rather use that money on re signing Thompson for example than signing a back up winger or prop.

We just have to hope the new coach brings freshness to the current squad because I do agree with others that whilst were way ahead in the league, that gap will soon close especially given who Wire and Wigan have signed. They will also get stronger for the bigger games which gives them an advantage.
    Leeds showed how its done. Get rid of deadwood as part of a deal for an upgrade and throw in a small transfer fee. Realistically only Paulo should go and possibly Ashworth if he doesnt progress. Id have Ashurst back for either and i dont think hed cost much.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I'd say next season we look to be ok, but the season after we have a lot of aging players that might need replacing around the same time, Roby, LMS, Amor, Taia, Peyroux, Paulo, Coote, Naiqama even Lomax will be into his 30's. Bentley and Batchelor were intended to be project players for the back row, but not sure about replacing the others. I'm not suggesting that once players hit the magical age of 30 they stop playing, but they have less years ahead than they do behind behind them from a playing perspective.

With the return of the reserves, does this give us scope to keep some of the older players, perhaps on lower than current deals and use then as back up for the first team whilst also being a senior figure in the reserve set up?

Didn't we make the mistake of signing nobody around 2007 and suffered not long after having a group of players leaving, then struggled to replace Long, Sculthorpe et al not long after that. Whilst we had Roby replacing Cummingham, what we didn't have is someone replacing Roby in the squad...if that makes sense.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

The key question is whether Saints are using the 2nd player marquee rule isn't it? Whilst a poster on here has suggested Saints are (he intimated it was used for Coote), the club haven't officially confirmed this from what I've seen.

Even if the club won the treble this year, I don't think standing still and resting on your laurels is the way to go. A team can always improve and that is what recruitment should be about, identifying an area in the 17 that could be strengthened and doing it. And that means being ruthless. So as others have said, Saints could look to move on players who haven't met expectations or become surplus to requirements (like they did with Tommy Lee and Adam Walker etc.).

From this years team, I would question Joseph Paulo's place. An oversees player who will be on a good contract. I'm not sure what he ahs brought to the side. I think Morgan Knowles and James Bentley should be contesting for the 13 shirt.

I would be looking at the halves. Lomax's place in the side is nailed on and so I think there are better partners out there for him than Theo Fages- a half with a good kicking game (including goal kicking) and can also threaten the line. Richardson can offer this, but the club clearly aren't convinced. Of course the standout player that was available within SL, was Jackson Hastings. And I think he is worthy of the marquee contract that Wigan have given him. Brock Lamb? I've commented on him in another thread. Scored a great try and produced some good pass assists the other night. Haven't seen much of his kicking game. Fages would be my utility on the interchange. He could spell Roby at 9 well, because of his good defense and his willingness to run the ball. That doesn't necessarily mean Roby needs to leave the field as he could go to 13, to give Knowles/Bentley a rest.

I think that would make the 17 more dynamic and creativity especially, a lack of which has cost Saints in the last two semi finals when they've needed to make something happen.

If Thompson is tempted by the NRL, then there's some good forwards who could become available from within SL depending on who get's relegated-Fifita, Ikahihfo, Ukuma Ta'ai even, spring to mind.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs

I imagine there’ll be no incomings and at most one or two back up players, like Costello or Richardson, will leave. I’m a bit concerned with the shape of the squad going into next season because, as people have mentioned, I think you need at least a couple of signings a season to keeps things fresh, especially when teams around us are signing quality players. This squad definitely needs a quality scrum half, at least one prop and at least one second row but I don’t think there’s any chance of any of that happening until the year after because of the cap.

The new coach will be busy mid next season, getting the squad ready for 2021, because there’s likely to be a fair few leaving at the end of next season. Taia and Amor will surely leave, I think Thompson will go to the NRL, LMS will be approaching 35 and off contract. That’s at least 4 regular players who I think will move on, then there’s Peyroux who will be at the end of his deal and it wouldn’t shock me if next season was Roby’s last. Paulo is one we need rid of but I can’t imagine him being in a hurry to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's reckless to go into a new season with absolutely no new faces. It rarely works and things just need freshening up to keep players on their toes.

I'd say we need one big player for next season. Big in the physical sense or big in terms of their quality.

I've been told that Richardson will be leaving with Swift and Douglas and that 'one of the forwards' is leaving this season and a replacement has already been lined up (Taia? Thommo to NRL? Peyroux going home?). One of those pub conversations from a decent enough source, but without any names mentioned it's hard to give it any credence.
    Our need for another really big forward a/s big Al was the reason I posted re : Geo Burgess . It sickens me we have to persist with Paulo ,
    Last edited by fonsboy; 9th September 2019 at 03:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
    Altho. the posters on this site disagree re: your comments about what your Wigin friends say . It could certainly be true if they were to win the G/F again , & we win nowt . Signing Hastings & Burgess will certainly boost them as well for next season .
    Last edited by fonsboy; 9th September 2019 at 04:00.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Masoe, Keinhorst, Tony Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    You want three people from a club joint bottom of the league? No thanks
    Yet got more Grand Final winners rings than most of our current team and coaching staff.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

It is always a balancing act in that you have to reward and keep hold of local talent coming through the ranks but ensure you have quality in key positions. As a new coach is coming in surely they should be consulting with him now re recruitment. I would think 2020 would be a key year. Positions to recruit would be second row and scrum half.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Are we short of second rowers? Bentley is developing well. Keep hearing talk that Ashworth would make a good back rower. Not sure how Bachelor is coming along.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    The key question is whether Saints are using the 2nd player marquee rule isn't it? Whilst a poster on here has suggested Saints are (he intimated it was used for Coote), the club haven't officially confirmed this from what I've seen.

Even if the club won the treble this year, I don't think standing still and resting on your laurels is the way to go. A team can always improve and that is what recruitment should be about, identifying an area in the 17 that could be strengthened and doing it. And that means being ruthless. So as others have said, Saints could look to move on players who haven't met expectations or become surplus to requirements (like they did with Tommy Lee and Adam Walker etc.).

From this years team, I would question Joseph Paulo's place. An oversees player who will be on a good contract. I'm not sure what he ahs brought to the side. I think Morgan Knowles and James Bentley should be contesting for the 13 shirt.

I would be looking at the halves. Lomax's place in the side is nailed on and so I think there are better partners out there for him than Theo Fages- a half with a good kicking game (including goal kicking) and can also threaten the line. Richardson can offer this, but the club clearly aren't convinced. Of course the standout player that was available within SL, was Jackson Hastings. And I think he is worthy of the marquee contract that Wigan have given him. Brock Lamb? I've commented on him in another thread. Scored a great try and produced some good pass assists the other night. Haven't seen much of his kicking game. Fages would be my utility on the interchange. He could spell Roby at 9 well, because of his good defense and his willingness to run the ball. That doesn't necessarily mean Roby needs to leave the field as he could go to 13, to give Knowles/Bentley a rest.

I think that would make the 17 more dynamic and creativity especially, a lack of which has cost Saints in the last two semi finals when they've needed to make something happen.

If Thompson is tempted by the NRL, then there's some good forwards who could become available from within SL depending on who get's relegated-Fifita, Ikahihfo, Ukuma Ta'ai even, spring to mind.

Regards,

STEVO
    You really annoy me.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Tongue in cheek. Why not do the same as the others. See how the season goes, if not doing well, sign someone for the end of season. Get a place on the cap by saying someone has a season ending injury and then off load them to the Championship a la Kevin Brown.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

If we do look to get a proper scrum half I wonder if we would consider Josh Drinkwater, he was flavour of the month when he was at Catalans but no one talks about him now. He's pretty robust and I think he would be relatively cheap too

I know that he's been released from Hull KR but I don't know if he has another team as yet. Sometimes these unheralded Aussies can do a decent job of organising a team and turning a scratchy performance into a win

Other than that we clearly need a hard running second rower, an uncompromising presence that's prepared to mix it a bit. Not sure who that would be, but it would be someone like Gareth Hock but not actually him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    If we do look to get a proper scrum half I wonder if we would consider Josh Drinkwater, he was flavour of the month when he was at Catalans but no one talks about him now. He's pretty robust and I think he would be relatively cheap too

I know that he's been released from Hull KR but I don't know if he has another team as yet. Sometimes these unheralded Aussies can do a decent job of organising a team and turning a scratchy performance into a win

Other than that we clearly need a hard running second rower, an uncompromising presence that's prepared to mix it a bit. Not sure who that would be, but it would be someone like Gareth Hock but not actually him
    I don't see how Drinkwater would be an upgrade on Fages and the club have a highly promising kid waiting in Dodd so it would be no thanks to a scrum half unless they are a significant upgrade for the position.

If anything I'd like to see Saints sign an aggressive, tackle breaking second row or an experienced prop. Preferably one would have plenty of big match winning experience.

I'd be definitely looking to offload Paulo onto a smaller team and see if we could at least pick up someone who'd offer more in attack. Ashurst at Wakefield has done well at second row, and given Pauli-Pauli has left them and frees up an overseas slot I'd try to snare him back as it would increase squad depth and even free up a small amount on the SC as I imagine Paulo earns a fair bit.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Drinkwater has signed for Catalan.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

From what I’ve seen, Drinkwater’s defence is worse than Richardson’s while his goal kicking is not good enough for him to be the regular kicker for HKR. Aside from signing an NRL superstar scrum half, I’d rather continue with Fages especially as we’ve already got the best attack in the league allied with the best defence.