Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Paulo

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Sorry lads don't agree I think he has just taken longer to settle and will prove to be a good signing.
    I agree, pity some people on here crucify players, the coach has other idea's.

Learning All The Songs

Willing to give him a 2nd season; Darren Britt didn't rip up trees in his first season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

A new coach will have different ideas, the last change in coaches certainly helped Peyroux who was very poor in his first season.

Imo he needs to either play as a first reciever or not at all, he's neither doing one job or the other at the moment and it's not working

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    A new coach will have different ideas, the last change in coaches certainly helped Peyroux who was very poor in his first season.

Imo he needs to either play as a first reciever or not at all, he's neither doing one job or the other at the moment and it's not working

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    That's a good point to be fair but people can only judge on what he's done so far.

Sorry lads don't agree I think he has just taken longer to settle and will prove to be a good signing.
    I said Peyroux was worth persisting with. Paulo isn't. He is not the rough house 2nd rower we need.

Sign a proper back rower & get shut.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I said Peyroux was worth persisting with. Paulo isn't. He is not the rough house 2nd rower we need.

we did hear you the first time !
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I think he’s performing the role that he’s being asked to play play by his coach. If he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have played as many games as he has so in terms of his role in the team and his lack of carrying etc, I’d say the issue lies with the coach. If he wanted another direct running forward, he’d have kept Luke Douglas instead of Paulo and just used one of the props as a 13.

Whether or not he’s been successful in that role is another question. I don’t think he’s done a better job than Jon Wilkin last year in that same role.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Given him this far into the season to impress. Wanted him to get better on harder pitches, but I’m sorry, he is poor. Not up to Saints standard and arguably not up to SL standards. I’m not even sure what his position is. He runs with no purpose and he is touted as some ball handling 13 but he isn’t. I think it is a three year deal as well so really hoping for the home sick, mutual agreement departure at the end of the season.
    Yes, he's bang average for me too.
    He does a great impression of a roundabout when opposition halfs or centres are running at our line
    I think Leigh Centurions are calling him

we did hear you the first time !
    Until it is in Eamonn's programme column, I will persist

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    Yes, he's bang average for me too.
    He does a great impression of a roundabout when opposition halfs or centres are running at our line
    I think Leigh Centurions are calling him
    Has he answered?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

I,ve defended Paulo for those first 25 games but in all those games he probably in reality performed in around 5 of them. Holbrook signed him for his link up with the half backs adding composure in those big games. We saw nothing in that in the challenge Cup Final so questions do arise in what he really offers to the team.
    We,ve seen Bentley step to challenge for a back row spot but Paulo hasn’t responded, if he doesn’t prove his worth in the play offs then he should be demoted outside the first 17 and perhaps be a leader in the reserves side next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    The ironic thing is i wouldnt be shocked if he played a blinder if we get to ols trafford,, can't see it though
    I agree with you both. I’ve said before that it’s a strange role he plays - a cameo playmaker - thats not his fault so I have some sympathy but the bottom line is he hasn’t contributed a great deal. I wonder if there’s a bit if face saving on behalf of Holbrook in terms of keeping him in and I can see Woolf either starting him or not playing him at all as he will perhaps have no loyalty in respect of not having signed him

Learning All The Songs

Great to have Paulo back.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    The ironic thing is i wouldnt be shocked if he played a blinder if we get to ols trafford,, can't see it though
    He would not have a blinder if he plays in the curtain-raiser before the big game .
    The truth is he is one of the most ineffective overseas signings we have have ever made .

Bentley in for Paulo tonight again. Hopefully the beginning of the end for this more than bang average player and we pay him off at the end of the season or if we are lucky somebody takes him off our hands.

Learning All The Songs

Bentley in for Paulo tonight again. Hopefully the beginning of the end for this more than bang average player and we pay him off at the end of the season or if we are lucky somebody takes him off our hands.
    How many on here thought the same with Peyroux. It's not easy moving half way round the World for some players or their families.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    How many on here thought the same with Peyroux. It's not easy moving half way round the World for some players or their families.
    That's a very good point. New coach coming in,players all start with a clean slate you would imagine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Chalk and cheese.
    Peyroux was playing in an underperforming side with a coach out of his depth. Paulo is in a side 16 points top of the league with a highly sought after coach. There is little excuse for Paulo and comparisons with Peyroux are wide of the mark.

Starting A Programme Collection Billy Bunter's Avatar

Don't think this has been mentioned anywhere, but I thought Holbrook's comments in his weekly Star Q&A were interesting regarding Paulo. This is from earlier this week, so after the Hudds game but before Hull:

MC: Was Joseph Paulo injured or left out?

JH: We are just trying to get him up to speed. He had a slight hamstring strain a couple of weeks ago at Warrington – and so it is a case of some conditioning.

We all saw him tweak his hamstring scoring against Warrington 2 weeks before the cup final, missing Leeds the following week, yet turning out at Wembley. Now I know Holbrook might be trying to give a quick evasive answer to a journalist, but if he's still in need of "some conditioning" almost 3 weeks after the cup final I think it highlights that in no way should he have been playing that day. I would understand rushing back a Coote or Lomax, or someone key to our structure, but not this guy who may well be following orders but is just an honest plodder. Bentley should've played at Wembley and I'll be very disappointed if he's ousted for Paulo in the playoffs given we're seemingly still "just trying to get him back up to speed".

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I don't think we'll see Paulo play now unless we pick up an injury. The team that played at Hull last night seems to be our strongest and most in form team at the moment so can't see any reason why we'd change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

I wouldn't be surprised to see him heading to the titans.

They need to do some surgery on their cap. Their stated strategy
    is to offload and go for local youth.

They are looking to turnover their squad , they will likely need
    a relatively cheap utility to come in as part of the horsetrading.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him heading to the titans.

They need to do some surgery on their cap. Their stated strategy
    is to offload and go for local youth.

They are looking to turnover their squad , they will likely need
    a relatively cheap utility to come in as part of the horsetrading.
    Ladies and Gents, we have a winner.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Chalk and cheese.
    Peyroux was playing in an underperforming side with a coach out of his depth. Paulo is in a side 16 points top of the league with a highly sought after coach. There is little excuse for Paulo and comparisons with Peyroux are wide of the mark.
    Hasn't Peyroux also switched positions since his first season?

Decided to resurrect this discussion as 14 months on from when it was started, Paulo has become the invisible man and can’t even make a mixed string squad for the game against Salford. I think Saints generally get things right with their overseas signings but there are some howlers along the way and he is one of them. Makes you think that as well as playing ability, the club needs to get better at understanding a players mental attitude before they sign them. Are they here to play, are they here to coast or are they here just to see the sights of Europe and add photos to their social media sites as Paulo has done? I’m unsure how the salary cap system works, but we really need to rip up his contract and pay him off as nobody in their right minds will take him off our hands even if we paid them to!

Decided to resurrect this discussion as 14 months on from when it was started, Paulo has become the invisible man and can’t even make a mixed string squad for the game against Salford. I think Saints generally get things right with their overseas signings but there are some howlers along the way and he is one of them. Makes you think that as well as playing ability, the club needs to get better at understanding a players mental attitude before they sign them. Are they here to play, are they here to coast or are they here just to see the sights of Europe and add photos to their social media sites as Paulo has done? I’m unsure how the salary cap system works, but we really need to rip up his contract and pay him off as nobody in their right minds will take him off our hands even if we paid them to!
    He’s in Monday’s squad.