Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choked?

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    One of our worst days in the Super League era, utterly pathetic. Any sort of adversity in a big, knockout game and this team can’t cope with it. Let’s hope we win the Grand Final because this team and coach will go down as the biggest bottlers of all time if we don’t. I have zero confidence we will. I think I’d be pleased if Holbrook went early after that.
    Give over Holbrook was 1000% improvement on cunningham and has moved use from awful to contenders each year.

Not all coaches can win things but they can rebalance a club sliding the wrong way down the lesgue

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Am I missing something, we won the game didn't we? Warrington didn't stand a chance it wasn't even a 50/50 game

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    What was the error count, can think of Walmsley 2, Grace 2, Coote 2, Knowles 2 off the top of my head
    It was pushing 20 by the end of the game.

What was the error count, can think of Walmsley 2, Grace 2, Coote 2, Knowles 2 off the top of my head
    It was pushing 20 by the end of the game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Give over Holbrook was 1000% improvement on cunningham and has moved use from awful to contenders each year.

Not all coaches can win things but they can rebalance a club sliding the wrong way down the lesgue
    Exactly and it was not holbrook out there dropping the ball and knocking on

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Believe it or not it was something like twenty

t it was something like twenty

If your game isn't on you need to get back to basics run hard, tackle hard and kick well which again in a big game we failed to do. It was the biggest bottle job I can remember. Warrington were the better side but didn't have to do much to beat us. Stay patient and wait for us to make an error, make a poor kick or take a drive in on the last.

Shambles

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Reminded me of the Catalan semi final game last season where they came down the middle and just waited for us to come up with error after error. I don't think Holbrook prepared us the right way, at times we played as though it was a superleague game, Wire upped their defensive game and thats why we didn't get scores from Makinson and Grace.

I almost mentioned early in the week that Lomax has been pretty poor in almost ever big game he's played add the performance or lack of from Coote and we struggled with any form of final execution. We also had a couple of dumb defensive plays from Lomax + LMS + Thompson.

The only player with enough credit was Fages in the second half quite surprised to see Roby waving his arms about as though he didn't know what our next play was going to be.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wasn't a knock on. Well, it was - the Wire player knocked on into Grace.

The turning point was Hicks disallowing Knowles' try and refusing to go to the VR.

We seemed to play panic rugby after that and it fell into Wire's hands.

It's like Murrayfield 2002 all over again.

Choked.

Just glad I booked a holiday without thinking of the dates, so am not there.

Gutted.

And I'm taking a bit of a break from RedVee for a few weeks. This place is going to turn into a shitfest.
    Glad you spotted the "knock on" by Grace that was actually off the arm of a Warrington player into Grace! I was shouting at the TV! So Hicks made three huge mistakes. We didn't play well but on a level playing field I feel we would still have won. Once again an official has stupidly altered the course of a game. Was he stupid, arrogant (in not going to the VR for our first "try") or is it something else? I know I'm getting sick of this type of decision against us in big games. No wonder the wider world doesn't take our sport seriously!

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Knowles get his try given , diffrent game.

Other than that. Shite.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Give over. Have some respect, we were done 100% fair and square.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    When a ref puts you twelve points down in a major final heads will drop. Dreadful performance from us and proof we need a coach with a proven final success rate.
    100% Zippy. Some on here think that players are robots who should just be able to get over any biased officiating. The games played between the ears and constant decisions goin against you, especially major ones from the start have an effect. Especially on a young team. Instead of being 12-0 up we went to losing 12-0. I hope Hicks gets a b*llocking from the powers that be, but he'll probably get a medal. Great TV for the broadcaster as the underdog comes back from nowhere without their star player after losing five in a row to win, hurrah! You couldn't make it up...……...could you? Congrats to Steve Price for proving the KC tactics can work, if you can stomach them and have the ref in your pocket.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post

But it was Holbrook who picked so many players who were obviously not fit so the buck stops with him for picking so many undercooked players in the first place

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Bottled it, end of. Knowles try disallowed, we stopped playing. Wires outplayed and out coached us. Major questions over Holbrook and his ability to coach a team to a win in a big game. He should be reading the riot act in the changing room and reminding them how embarrassing today’s loss was as a favourite, arguably biggest favourite in CC final history and failed to get the result when it mattered. Walmsley and Thompson were anonymous.

The GF can’t come soon enough, but on today’s evidence, not sure we would win there either
    Or get there

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    100% Zippy. Some on here think that players are robots who should just be able to get over any biased officiating. The games played between the ears and constant decisions goin against you, especially major ones from the start have an effect. Especially on a young team. Instead of being 12-0 up we went to losing 12-0. I hope Hicks gets a b*llocking from the powers that be, but he'll probably get a medal. Great TV for the broadcaster as the underdog comes back from nowhere without their star player after losing five in a row to win, hurrah! You couldn't make it up...……...could you? Congrats to Steve Price for proving the KC tactics can work, if you can stomach them and have the ref in your pocket.
    Techinally he has already got his medal

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Give over. Have some respect, we were done 100% fair and square.
    No quarter asked nor given.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post

But it would have been Holbrook that won it. The fact is he can’t prepare players to perform under pressure. He knows how to get the best out of player but he lacks that final something.

Another point when our stars get injured and miss the representative games at the end of the season many on here say ‘great saints first’ etc. But it is this rep rugby that prepares you for these big games, you get so see different aspects of your game, you have to lift your game to another level from the weekly grind of the leagues.

Come October we have two chances to make the final, We will win the first game since it isn’t sudden death, but we will bottle the final. We are on the cusp of a great team we need someone who can turn this team of great players into a team of great winners.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Reminded me of the Catalan semi final game last season where they came down the middle and just waited for us to come up with error after error. I don't think Holbrook prepared us the right way, at times we played as though it was a superleague game, Wire upped their defensive game and thats why we didn't get scores from Makinson and Grace.

I almost mentioned early in the week that Lomax has been pretty poor in almost ever big game he's played add the performance or lack of from Coote and we struggled with any form of final execution. We also had a couple of dumb defensive plays from Lomax + LMS + Thompson.

The only player with enough credit was Fages in the second half quite surprised to see Roby waving his arms about as though he didn't know what our next play was going to be.
    It was a re-run of the Halifax semi-final too -

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    It was a re-run of the Halifax semi-final too -
    I don't think it was, we did the bare minimum required knowing Halifax offered nothing at all bar a bit of enthusiasm.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    We played badly and Warrington did what they needed to do. Hicks mistake was crucial but we lacked composure. Coote had a bad game. Too long out too big a game to return
    Looked totally unprepared for that. Too many easy games for weeks and Holdbrook rests half the players last week for a game that would have been ideal preparation. Terrible decision not to go to the screen for Knowles' try but imo they looked off the pace , nervous and panicky. Looked like they'd played and won the game in their heads beforehand. Too much time on social media with Holdbrook naming the team on the pitch video. All too complacent and over-hyped nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    Looked totally unprepared for that. Too many easy games for weeks and Holdbrook rests half the players last week for a game that would have been ideal preparation. Terrible decision not to go to the screen for Knowles' try but imo they looked off the pace , nervous and panicky. Looked like they'd played and won the game in their heads beforehand. Too much time on social media with Holdbrook naming the team on the pitch video. All too complacent and over-hyped nonsense.
    I'd say the opposite to the middle part of your post.

They looked like they had played and lost the games in their head beforehand.

I think the lack of games for the players that have been out injured was a big factor. Coote, Knowles and to some extent Walmsley looked off the pace. Certainly I’ve never seen Knowles fall off as many tackles. Big Al was mistiming his running onto the ball and that can only be down to rustiness. Roby did very little penetrative running and Coote just had a stinker. Seriously, most people out of the crowd could have kicked that goal and for me it was a turning point. We had some momentum and missing that kick just knocked the wind out of us.

Noooobie

How can you moan about the No Try? You still had Over 70 mins to right that wrong and the best teams do that regardless of bad referees - you structure the win yourself. Tough tit if the Masila try looked a bit forward, you scored off one miles forward at the HJ. What goes around seems to come around eh?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

We played half fit players. I have a feeling that Warrington knew weeks back Austin wouldn’t play and planned accordingly.
    Good coaching from Warrington. They won the cup when Price gave Holbrook the fist jibe on SKY last week.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saladfan View Post
    How can you moan about the No Try? You still had Over 70 mins to right that wrong and the best teams do that regardless of bad referees - you structure the win yourself. Tough tit if the Masila try looked a bit forward, you scored off one miles forward at the HJ. What goes around seems to come around eh?
    You won fair n square despite the Knowles try. Now •••• off
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saladfan View Post
    Whose moaning? A small minority. Is this a case of an opposition fan choosing to read what they want to?