Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Papa Johns Superleague Sponsorship

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

That made me laugh more than it probably should have...perhaps it's a bit close to truth tho!!

Wonder if they are looking at putting Papa Johns in all the grounds, I know it takes 20 mins or so to cook a Pizza, but it's comparable to current waiting time for pint at a lot grounds!

The deal has to surely be a pre-cursor to a proper deal for the next season or two, when fans are allowed back into the grounds. What they currently have agreed to is guarenteed TV exposure with every game for the price of a their product. It would be interesting how this is declared through the books of both Papa Johns and SL.

Tui Lolohea likes this.

Banned

No different than MyProtein or that Iso drink Saints use supplying the club(s) with free supplements in return for their logo appearing on kits and or advertisements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Fat Nige is happy and is said to want a pizza the action.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    No different than MyProtein or that Iso drink Saints use supplying the club(s) with free supplements in return for their logo appearing on kits and or advertisements.

...But at least that sounds vaguely like something useful to a player!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I agree I think its been blown a bit out of proportion.. they're providing pizzas, it's hardly they're the title sponsor. It will save the clubs a few quid, nothing more and a bit of social media exposure to what should be super League target audience.

It's not blue chip, but it's a pretty big brand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I agree I think its been blown a bit out of proportion.. they're providing pizzas, it's hardly they're the title sponsor. It will save the clubs a few quid, nothing more and a bit of social media exposure to what should be super League target audience.

It's not blue chip, but it's a pretty big brand
    But isn't that the point being made by many above? Once again the sport seems to have sold out for peanuts (or pizzas!).
    All well and good if PJ's stump up a shed load of cash for future seasons deals, but I won't be holding my breath on that one!

Funny the game wanted to move away from Cigarette and Alcohol sponsors due the the heath problems associated with these products.

There must be a days worth of calories in one of those pizza's?!!

On a slightly more serious note I can kind of understand why the RFU may be able to negotiate a better sponsorship deal for naming their premier competition but the compete disparity (c ten times) is hard to understand.

I wish the game would stop selling itself short. Aside from the sponsorship/ branding of the competition I would love them to try and negotiate a deal with a free to air TV channel for SL games too. I think that in the medium / long terms the exposure would have huge dividends for the sport. BBC have virtually no major sporting rights now and would be great to try and get them involved but if not then one of the others. As it stands Sky seem to have us over a barrel.

I think it is different. MyProtein get a little spot on the shorts and a bit of advertising round the ground in exchange for their product (I assume), so yes, there are some similarities. But supplements are an essential expense for a SL club and, over the course of a year, I'd imagine they add up to a relatively significant cost - getting that for free is probably quite a decent financial outcome for an individual club, which will be relying largely on local business for sponsorship income in any case.

But the game as a whole is giving away prominent advertising space around the pitch at every single match, as well as a sponsor's notice at the beginning of all their video content, in return for a cheeky Just Eat. That just announces to the world that SL considers itself to be worthless. It may be that the game is bereft of sponsorship thanks to COVID, and I can understand a desperation to take lowball offers, but even if that's the case, there's no tangible benefit to giving players free pizzas. The only way in which this can be justifiable is if there is a strong possibility that Papa John's will be coming on board as long term paying sponsors after this season, but even if that's the case, it's difficult to see that being lucrative when their current offer is some pizza.

In The South Stand

Not wishing to derail the thread but its not the only contractual issues in the game at the moment. https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...llar-sponsors/

I certainly hope that NW Warriors doesn't end up losing a corporate sponsor as good as Vodafone.

What gets me is that an individual club in the NRL has had a successful corporate relationship with a blue-chip company for 22 years and yet the best the RFL can do is offer a slice of pizza.

That to me says it all.
    Last edited by parrsaint; 24th August 2020 at 19:18.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Let's be honest, if players wanted pizzas after the game most clubs would already have some deal in place with a local pizza company that would actually benefit from the publicity. This is RL looking at a big name and getting giddy about having them connected, and the big name realising it can get a big more publicity for virtually nothing. £3-4k for Papa John's is nothing, and they'd probably make it back in two weeks worth of extra orders simply by having one ad on TV before each SL game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

What really annoys me about this is that about 15 years ago I wrote to Saints, (not SL), asking for a meeting to discuss sponsorship by a major multi national, and I could not get anyone interested.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Let's be honest, if players wanted pizzas after the game most clubs would already have some deal in place with a local pizza company that would actually benefit from the publicity. This is RL looking at a big name and getting giddy about having them connected, and the big name realising it can get a big more publicity for virtually nothing. £3-4k for Papa John's is nothing, and they'd probably make it back in two weeks worth of extra orders simply by having one ad on TV before each SL game.
    That is how sponsorship works, companies get back more than their investment in sponsoring the product.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    What really annoys me about this is that about 15 years ago I wrote to Saints, (not SL), asking for a meeting to discuss sponsorship by a major multi national, and I could not get anyone interested.
    Was it Trotters Independent Traders - New York, Paris, Peckham

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Was it Trotters Independent Traders - New York, Paris, Peckham
    It was a company employing 600,000 worldwide. A company that spends tens of millions each year on sponsorships,

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Its of almost no benefit to the sport at all, maybe when fans get in to stadiums then the pizzas could be on sale for fans, but currently i fail to see any value in it, i dont see the players valuing it very much either, surely they dont want to eat stodge just after playing? I am sure if they wanted to provide good quality nutrition to players after the game there are far better options than a Papa Johns pizza.
    I would have been more impressed if it was Papa Lazarou and not papa johns and gave away ‘ special stuff’ to all fans on entry !

In the words of Papa Lazarou’ This is just a saga now!’
    Last edited by Dark Side Of The Moon; 25th August 2020 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    That is how sponsorship works, companies get back more than their investment in sponsoring the product.
    Indeed, but 'investment' is a very loose term here. This is a company with a 2019 revenue of around $1.6 billion. As I said earlier, they could be investing £30,000 or even £300,000 and they'd make it back quite happily and see a good return on the outlay, but £3,000 is nothing.

Whilst sponsorship should yield profits for the sponsor, it should also yield a decent wedge for those being sponsored. This is nothing of the kind, and whilst Papa John's get publicity and some extra headlines for an outlay of almost nothing, I'm not sure what the game gets out of it at all.

Got A Season Ticket

The Guardian today has an article about Rajasthan Royals (in the IPL) being sponsored by a major manufacturer of sanitary pads. That’s the kind of imaginative deal that we ought to be looking at: an everyday product bought by large numbers of people but not closely associated with the North or RL.

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    The Guardian today has an article about Rajasthan Royals (in the IPL) being sponsored by a major manufacturer of sanitary pads. That’s the kind of imaginative deal that we ought to be looking at: an everyday product bought by large numbers of people but not closely associated with the North or RL.
    So what do Northern women use? I know what you meant.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    Yep, due to more men surviving prostate surgery the positive side effect for manufacturer is a need for these products in males.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    So what do Northern women use? I know what you meant.
    Ferrets?

In The South Stand

Are we suggesting that pizza is now the nutrional choice of RL players? It's Sunday League stuff, trudging off the pitch down the local because the landlord has put on a spread of bacon and eggs. What a joke.
    Yeah, it probably already was for most clubs. Players need a big calorie input after games and pizza is a good way to do that. I'd be surprised if most clubs in the NRL and Super League weren't already on pizza post-game.

Are we suggesting that players starved after games before this deal? Are we suggesting that pizza is now the nutrional choice of RL players? It's Sunday League stuff, trudging off the pitch down the local because the landlord has put on a spread of bacon and eggs. What a joke.
    It is healthy for SL , as there is no dough in it .

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Yeah, it probably already was for most clubs. Players need a big calorie input after games and pizza is a good way to do that. I'd be surprised if most clubs in the NRL and Super League weren't already on pizza post-game.
    ...With mushy peas.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Fine, fair enough, and I of course remember pizza-gate involving Arsenal and Man United some years back, so I'm sure that kind of food is used post-game.

It's still small time though, as the 'partnership' is entirely weighted towards PJ with nothing but a smaller pizza bill for clubs in return.