Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cats Vs wire

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    Childs was poor but had his work cut out.
    The reason he had his work cut out was because of the thuggish mindset of the players from both sides. Don't think that Childs was poor at all. For once, I thought that he had a very good game. I thought that he handled every situation very well. It was the players that were poor!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Grade c to f for verbally abusing a refs call.
    Yep. Foul language towards a match official is 4 - 6 games. Clearly Chris Hill is guilty of this charge. Evidence: Live TV audio

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    Yep. Foul language towards a match official is 4 - 6 games. Clearly Chris Hill is guilty of this charge. Evidence: Live TV audio
    Be interesting to see the outcome of that.

There’s no way he will receive a ban for passionately trying to get the ref to stop the game so that he can defend his family. I honestly don’t think the abuse was aimed at Childs - more a frustrated plea to stop the game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

The fight is what it is on the field, a few have bans coming, tomkins was probably unfair, don't think he did any more or any less than most.

Kenny Edwards is a disgrace, Gigot and Casty push him away and he nearly starts fighting with them too. He also jumps over the top of everyone to start it all

As for the Wire fans we don't know what started it, but it doesn't look great a lot of the talk online blames a former player. However you see a number manage to climb over and do a bit of pavement dancing because they don't know what to do next, it's only a handful of the fans out of the 1500 that travelled, but they are a disgrace no doubt. Too much beer, sun and thinking they're an invading army for some.

I think Childs handles it well at the end and also the match, both teams were trying it all match. I do think he could have just blown the whistle at the end and walked them off, rules or not he'd have been fully justified in blowing the whistle, I think this bring a 'stickler for the rules' winds players up, but that's the aftermath, the damage was already done by the players. He does however manage to remain calm in the face of screaming players who seemingly fail to see their involvement in kicking the supporters off

Realistically they'll look to ban some supporters which is pretty much impossible to police outside of the HJ. Can see both teams picking up fines.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Agree about McIlorum and the sin binning but he deliberately pulled off Hill’s headgear soon after and got away with it.
    Agreed I think with the ref wanted to sin bin a player from each to calm things down after the two teams had come together.

The end of the game was a difficult situation for the ref. Technically he was correct that the last penalty had to be taken but I'm sure from a safety point of view he could have called it full time.

Unfortunately with only having a small number of Super League referees there seems to be too much familiarity between the refs and players.

Throughout the game Hill and Tompkins were having running conversations with the ref
    complaining about the opposition.
    Childs was almost being too reasonable by responding to them and explaining his decision.

I know captains have a right to question the decisions but this was constant throughout the game

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Be interesting to see the outcome of that.
    The RFL are bound to announce an in depth investigation into the proceedings, what's the betting that the investigations and subsequent disciplinary findings take place in about three weeks time, after the Bank Holiday

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The RFL are bound to announce an in depth investigation into the proceedings, what's the betting that the investigations and subsequent disciplinary findings take place in about three weeks time, after the Bank Holiday
    Most likely. I missed the dramas because i switched off with 5 minutes left of the game

Looked pretty nasty what went on in the stands.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Childs has struggled to contain ill tempered games in the past but i thought he referee’d yesterdays game well from what i saw. Im not sure where the animosity between these two clubs has come from. Was the overall game bubbling or did it come from history between the two? Fair enough Catalans beat them at Wembley, but still, by that rationale we can drop a Hiroshima size bomb on Headingley.

Learning All The Songs

Just watched the last 10 minutes, both sets of players were an absolute disgrace. I didn't see what went before but there can be no excuses for the way they reacted towards the referee. Sadly all respect seems to be rapidly disappearing from the game. Even one of the Sky commentators was laughing at the backchat from Tomkins when he was 'asking' about the dissent penalty against Gigot and then laughing away with a teammate behind the referees back. Bird spent most of the last 10 minutes basically just taking the mick out of Child, fishing for penalties and mouthing off, while Edwards seemed intent on starting trouble with anyone who came near him.

I'd like to see the RFL come out and publicly back their officials and set out a zero tolerance policy on backchat and abusive language with immediate effect. I'd also like to see referees go back to using shirt numbers rather than calling players by their name, frankly the players don't deserve anything more than that. The whole of SL needs to come together and stamp this out because it will only continue to deteriorate as players look the push the boundaries that little bit further each time, we're fast losing the 'family sport' image we like to present. I thought in the circumstances Child handled the end of that game incredibly well, he was the only person behaving professionally on the pitch.

A number of bans should follow but we all know how the disciplinary works in the lead up to a big game.

As for the crowd trouble, it's difficult to comment too much without really seeing what went on aside from the brief coverage during the game but regardless the end result was distasteful to say the least and both clubs should face appropriate punishment. I'd give both a hefty fine and a game played behind closed doors if it happens again inside two years.

I can see the BBC headline tomorrow

‘Brexit to blame for mass brawl at rugby league game!’

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Just watched the last 10 minutes, both sets of players were an absolute disgrace. I didn't see what went before but there can be no excuses for the way they reacted towards the referee. Sadly all respect seems to be rapidly disappearing from the game. Even one of the Sky commentators was laughing at the backchat from Tomkins when he was 'asking' about the dissent penalty against Gigot and then laughing away with a teammate behind the referees back. Bird spent most of the last 10 minutes basically just taking the mick out of Child, fishing for penalties and mouthing off, while Edwards seemed intent on starting trouble with anyone who came near him.

I'd like to see the RFL come out and publicly back their officials and set out a zero tolerance policy on backchat and abusive language with immediate effect. I'd also like to see referees go back to using shirt numbers rather than calling players by their name, frankly the players don't deserve anything more than that. The whole of SL needs to come together and stamp this out because it will only continue to deteriorate as players look the push the boundaries that little bit further each time, we're fast losing the 'family sport' image we like to present. I thought in the circumstances Child handled the end of that game incredibly well, he was the only person behaving professionally on the pitch.

A number of bans should follow but we all know how the disciplinary works in the lead up to a big game.

As for the crowd trouble, it's difficult to comment too much without really seeing what went on aside from the brief coverage during the game but regardless the end result was distasteful to say the least and both clubs should face appropriate punishment. I'd give both a hefty fine and a game played behind closed doors if it happens again inside two years.

Nothing wrong with points deduction for both teams.

Why would Warrington get so worked up about losing to Catalans when top spot was pretty much gone for them? Warrington have been stumbling for a few weeks now. Maybe they know their season is slipping away (Austin injury compounding it) and its a sign of frustration??

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    ThereÂ’s no way he will receive a ban for passionately trying to get the ref to stop the game so that he can defend his family. I honestly donÂ’t think the abuse was aimed at Childs - more a frustrated plea to stop the game.
    What? Passionately or not, we do not want to see players using foul language when talking to match officials. It is called 'respect'.

The abuse was aimed at Childs. Hill was talking directly to him!

The game had to be concluded and would of been stopped sooner had the players taken the referee's advice. He was trying to get the players apart and stop them from moving towards the stands. It is not Childs fault that they just totally ignored him.

The penalty had already been given when McIlorum decided to try and take someone's head off. It had to be taken. I was willing Warrington to go for the two points actually!

But Childs did say to them: "I suggest you tap it, kick it into touch and that's the game over".

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    The reason he had his work cut out was because of the thuggish mindset of the players from both sides.
    That's what I said. I would agree with you he reffed the trouble in the last 5 minutes well, but it was bubbling for anyone to see for well before that.
    I've watched enough games to know when a ref has lost control, and his lack awareness in some of the cheap shots he missed from both sides, led to the situation he ended up with. It's his job to control players and most of them took no notice of him.
    LMS was sin-binned for not looking at the ref when he was speaking to him, if that's what it takes, its a step in the right direction.

Got A Season Ticket

I’ve heard that the Rugby League is going to have a zero tolerance approach and come down hard on all offences committed during yesterday’s match.
    All players found guilty of any offence will be given a 2 month ban.
    The bans will start from 13th October.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Strange that the referee is getting the blame. Because of the production you could clearly hear the referee talking to the players all through the game, it's hardly his fault that they took no notice is it?

He sent two players to the sin bin early on, which should have been a warning to the players to calm down. McIlorum can feel very hard done by in that instance, he was merely trying to pull Hill away from the Catalan player.

Correct. McIlorum only pushed a Warrington player off a grounded Cat. Problem is when you relish the reputation that you have earned, and McIlorum does, you have to take the odd "guilty until proven innocent call". Child lost control, because the players cast aside any responsibility they have to the game. An awful display, most of the main (and usual) suspects have already been named, but in all honesty the ref could've ended up with a six aside match by the end. These are trained professional athletes playing to a televised audience in a physical, dangerous game. Yesterday it was like a street fight and the responsibility lays squarely on the two teams who were a disgrace to the game. Why can't the same level of punishment be brought to bear as happens when teams like Widnes fall foul of their finances? Fine the players, ban the players, fine the clubs, deduct points and ban any "fans" identified from matches for life. Anything else will just bring the game in to ill repute.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by knowsley roader View Post
    I’ve heard that the Rugby League is going to have a zero tolerance approach and come down hard on all offences committed during yesterday’s match.
    All players found guilty of any offence will be given a 2 month ban.
    The bans will start from 13th October.
    2 game bans maximum for Wire players. Not a chance of getting a ban for the final.

On another line of thought, if there is a points deduction for both teams, the beneficiaries will be Salford, Castleford and the Pie fondlers, who will be put in a good position to take an undeserved 2nd place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    2 game bans maximum for Wire players. Not a chance of getting a ban for the final.
    100% correct. The RFL will bottle this, for a nonsense "not wanting to ruin a showpiece final" excuse.

Banned

Catalans try all the dark arts to get under the skin of the opposition. The key is not to rise to it, not let it knock you off your game.

Wire's trouble is that they have players who seem to have both a sense of entitlement and propensity to tantrum.

Chris Hill most prominently, but not alone. They play aggressive rugby, but whine like babies when the opposition does the same. Yesterday, they really fell into the Catalans trap and reacted.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    I've watched enough games to know when a ref has lost control, and his lack awareness in some of the cheap shots he missed from both sides, led to the situation he ended up with. It's his job to control players and most of them took no notice of him.
    LMS was sin-binned for not looking at the ref when he was speaking to him, if that's what it takes, its a step in the right direction.
    Yeah, and I've watched enough games to know that we still have too many players who enter the field of play with no intention of respecting the match officials. It has to be stamped out NOW.

I find it fascinating when fans immediately jump to the conclusion that a referee "has lost control". It's utter nonsense. The responsibility is with the players.

Why should it be his job to control players? How about they control themselves? Or is that asking too much?

At the end of the day, if the players acted professionally and didn't act like thugs, then no situation would arise that would cause a referee to lose control.

The situation ended up the way it did because of the players actions. Why blame someone's lack of awareness? How about looking at the root cause (the cheap shots that you referred to above). Get rid of the cheap shots, and then a referee wouldn't have to look for them.

I wholeheartedly praise the ref for sending LMS to the sin bin.

In The South Stand

I cannot remember seeing a game as dirty and incidents as bad in all my time of watching rugby league , but I still would not be surprised if the RFL gave out more than two match bans because of Wembley . As for the fans of Warrington the culprits should be found and banned for life .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

The problem now with the bandings, it's difficult to not ban someone for three matches if it's graded minimum 3 matches

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    100% correct. The RFL will bottle this, for a nonsense "not wanting to ruin a showpiece final" excuse.
    They wouldn’t hesitate banning our players. Was it 2012 when we sacked Simmons, battered Leeds then Warrington, the RFL then banned Wellens and Laffranchi just in time for the Good Friday game??
    Same back end of 2016 when the RFL banned Luke Walsh for a soft tackle and we lost at Wigan in the super 8’s??