Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    If I was in charge, I would go for something like...

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace

Lomax
    Richardson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Douglas
    Peyroux
    Paulo
    Thompson

Ashworth
    Taia
    LMS
    Lees

Start with a big pack. Bring Taia on after 15 mins for Walmsley and keep him on for the rest of the match. This should wear a lot of teams out, stopping our big men.
    After 25 bring on Ashworth and Lees at this point to run at tired defenders before half time.

Our focus needs to be on getting the ball to our wingers more often. Moving Taia into the middle would help with this.

I am interested to see how Percy goes in 2019. He is not a wingers centre, which probably cost him an international spot. If he can add some better passing to his game he could become even better. If not, he could stagnate.
    It'll be interesting to see what JH does with Paulo. Personally I don't think we'll see him playing second row unless we're short of numbers (from what I've seen Taia is more physical and more athletic than him, and we have other options too). I suspect he'll play as a ball-playing 13, doing a lot of work at first receiver, with Richardson and Lomax on either edge and Coote roaming. We could start games with Thompson at 13 to give us the extra prop for the opening exchanges, then when it's settling down a bit take Walmsley off, shift Thompson to prop and bring Paulo on for the rest of the game at 13.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what JH does with Paulo. Personally I don't think we'll see him playing second row unless we're short of numbers (from what I've seen Taia is more physical and more athletic than him, and we have other options too). I suspect he'll play as a ball-playing 13, doing a lot of work at first receiver, with Richardson and Lomax on either edge and Coote roaming. We could start games with Thompson at 13 to give us the extra prop for the opening exchanges, then when it's settling down a bit take Walmsley off, shift Thompson to prop and bring Paulo on for the rest of the game at 13.
    Holbrook has said several times he sees Paulo at 13. I’d be amazed if he started the Wigan game anywhere but loose forward.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I attended a Business event at the ground today and as part of the opening, Holbrook spoke for 10 mins.

He was saying that there is no week off this year so unless we get knocked out the CC it could be 34, 35 games straight. He admits he needs to rotate more this season. However he also made a good point that in his first season we practically had to win every game to make the Finals so had no option but to play his best team every week and no one moaned at him then. Great point to be fair.

He also said that we had no Walmsley after the first 5 games and that Roby had a really damaged shoulder, way more than was reported. We definitely missed a fully firing Roby in the last few weeks and obviously Walmsley.

He also said he’s looking forward to seeing Knowles this season as he’s had a great pre season and trained really well. The season before, Knowles was coming off the back of a WC and had a short pre-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I attended a Business event at the ground today and as part of the opening, Holbrook spoke for 10 mins.

He was saying that there is no week off this year so unless we get knocked out the CC it could be 34, 35 games straight. He admits he needs to rotate more this season. However he also made a good point that in his first season we practically had to win every game to make the Finals so had no option but to play his best team every week and no one moaned at him then. Great point to be fair.

He also said that we had no Walmsley after the first 5 games and that Roby had a really damaged shoulder, way more than was reported. We definitely missed a fully firing Roby in the last few weeks and obviously Walmsley.

He also said he’s looking forward to seeing Knowles this season as he’s had a great pre season and trained really well. The season before, Knowles was coming off the back of a WC and had a short pre-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did he say if Roby's shoulder has fully recovered? Hope so.

Wonder if Bentley and Batchelor will feature much this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    If I was in charge, I would go for something like...

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace

Lomax
    Richardson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Douglas
    Peyroux
    Paulo
    Thompson

Ashworth
    Taia
    LMS
    Lees

Start with a big pack. Bring Taia on after 15 mins for Walmsley and keep him on for the rest of the match. This should wear a lot of teams out, stopping our big men.
    After 25 bring on Ashworth and Lees at this point to run at tired defenders before half time.

Our focus needs to be on getting the ball to our wingers more often. Moving Taia into the middle would help with this.

I am interested to see how Percy goes in 2019. He is not a wingers centre, which probably cost him an international spot. If he can add some better passing to his game he could become even better. If not, he could stagnate.
    Knowles has to be in there for me.

Just not sure who I would take out for him

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Did he say if Roby's shoulder has fully recovered? Hope so.
    I asked the same question when he first had the surgery, avoiding the Autumn test series to have the op.
    Shoulder joint is the most complex in the body all the nerves in a sheath for the upper body pass through parts of the shoulder.
    ACL in the knee used to be the career ending injury, almost all orthapeadic surgeons do knees successfully as routine now.
    Very few will do shoulder reconstructions due to the nerve damage potential. North West of UK has some of the best upper limb surgeons as they have the availability and supply of victims/patients. The guy who did Maurie Fasavaulu saved Shay Given`s career as a surgeon in Newcastle and one in Germany could not manage it, he perfected this technique on bigger boned/tendon RL players first.
    Hope Robes is a beneficiary of this as was Wilko before him.

Got A Season Ticket

I would go for the following:

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace

Lomax
    Richardson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Paulo

Knowles
    Douglas
    LMS
    Lees

I don't think that we can expect Thompson to start at 13 and then revert to prop week in, week out. With the decrease in interchanges, he will need rest time in games, otherwise he may be burned out come the end part of the season when we'll need him most.

I'd have Knowles on the bench to spell Roby with Douglas and Lees swapping with Walmsley and Thompson.
    LMS on the bench as he can provide utility cover in both the forwards and backs if required

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I asked the same question when he first had the surgery, avoiding the Autumn test series to have the op.
    Shoulder joint is the most complex in the body all the nerves in a sheath for the upper body pass through parts of the shoulder.
    ACL in the knee used to be the career ending injury, almost all orthapeadic surgeons do knees successfully as routine now.
    Very few will do shoulder reconstructions due to the nerve damage potential. North West of UK has some of the best upper limb surgeons as they have the availability and supply of victims/patients. The guy who did Maurie Fasavaulu saved Shay Given`s career as a surgeon in Newcastle and one in Germany could not manage it, he perfected this technique on bigger boned/tendon RL players first.
    Hope Robes is a beneficiary of this as was Wilko before him.
    I had a fairly complicated shoulder op in Belgium a few months ago and I am still having physio 3 days PW. The Surgeon told me a full year is normal for recovery, but I'm not James Roby. Hope we see the true version this year, and that he gets that Lance Todd he deserves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

I think Paulo is the biggest question mark of our 3 signings. He could be a revelation; he could be the next terrace scapegoat.

Saying that, I don't think we'll start Thompson at 13. If we're looking for some physicality in the early stages, then I'd say it would be Knowles. His work around the ruck and his defence is the 'get your hands dirty' grubby stuff that can be needed. Once that's done, bring Paulo into the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think Paulo is the biggest question mark of our 3 signings. He could be a revelation; he could be the next terrace scapegoat.

Saying that, I don't think we'll start Thompson at 13. If we're looking for some physicality in the early stages, then I'd say it would be Knowles. His work around the ruck and his defence is the 'get your hands dirty' grubby stuff that can be needed. Once that's done, bring Paulo into the fray.
    I criminally forgot Knowles in my last post. Yes, I agree ... we've suddenly got quite a bit of depth in our pack.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

The 2019 season could be very interesting, and competitive.
    Leeds will certainly be much better, but by how much? Lolohea and Hurrell can both be exciting players but can just as easily go awol.

Wire have signed well, Austin is a very talented player IF he settles over here and Jason Clark I think could be the overseas signing of the year.

Wigan and Saints positions I find intriguing.

Wigan, will Hardaker stay on track? Can he replace Sam Tomkins as he is a different player and doesn't have Sams creativity, Wigan will need to play differently as Hardaker is more of a runner. Bateman is a big loss but I think a fit Liam Farrell can fill that role leaving Greenwood as the running back rower.
    Ryan Sutton had a good season once he returned from injury, who will step up? Alongside Bullock we have Kibula, Partington and Byrne from last years U19 academy winning team, three top prospects but ready for 1st team yet I'm not sure.
    Then of course there is a new coach in Adrian Lam.
    One thing that really concerns me is the loss of Mark Bitcon who has gone to Manchester City. Under him Wigan were the fittest side in Superleague IMO and it appears that there has been less hill running etc but more work on the training ground under Lam. Will that work?
    It's important that we keep Williams, Gildart and Farrell fit, it really went poorly for us when they were out last year, and of course O'Loughlins game time needs to be managed.

Saints.
    How will they replace the 28 tries and 24 assists from Barba?
    I know he got a lot of bad comments but I do think you will miss Wilkin. A few on here have said Paulo will be a ball player, however he only has 7 try assists in his last 5 seasons, a small fraction of Wilkins over the same period. Naiqama should be an improvement on Ryan Morgan. Coote I honestly don't know, he struggled to get 1st team game time last year.
    Walmsley back is a big plus for Saints if he can stay fit.
    Will Saints do the "switcheroo" as it was affectionately known at Wigan last season when they brought on Escare and moved Tomkins to #6. Coote and Naiqama's utility could be a big plus.

All in all I'm looking forward to it and I think the four clubs Iv'e mentioned will be well "in the mix"
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 11th January 2019 at 13:09.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The 2019 season could be very interesting, and competitive.
    Leeds will certainly be much better, but by how much?

Wire have signed well, Austin is a very talented player IF he settles over here and Jason Clark I think could be the overseas signing of the year.

Wigan and Saints positions I find intriguing.

Wigan, will Hardaker stay on track? Can he replace Sam Tomkins as he is a different player and doesn't have Sams creativity, Wigan will need to play differently as Hardaker is more of a runner. Bateman is a big loss but I think a fit Liam Farrell can fill that role leaving Greenwood as the running back rower.
    Ryan Sutton had a good season once he returned from injury, who will step up? Alongside Bullock we have Kibula, Partington and Byrne from last years U19 academy winning team, three top prospects but ready for 1st team yet I'm not sure.
    Then of course there is a new coach in Adrian Lam.
    One thing that really concerns me is the loss of Mark Bitcon who has gone to Manchester City. Under him Wigan were the fittest side in Superleague IMO and it appears that there has been less hill running etc but more work on the training ground under Lam. Will that work?
    It's important that we keep Williams, Gildart and Farrell fit, it really went poorly for us when they were out last year, and of course O'Loughlins game time needs to be managed.

Saints.
    How will they replace the 28 tries and 24 assists from Barba?
    I know he got a lot of bad comments but I do think you will miss Wilkin. A few on here have said Paulo will be a ball player, however he only has 7 try assists in his last 5 seasons, a small fraction of Wilkins over the same period. Naiqama should be an improvement on Ryan Morgan. Coote I honestly don't know, he struggled to get 1st team game time last year.
    Walmsley back is a big plus for Saints if he can stay fit.

All in all I'm looking forward to it and I think the four clubs I'e mentioned will be well "in the mix"
    I’m not sure it will be, Saints and Warrington are the most settled out of the big sides and definitely start the season as favourites although I think Warrington still have a fair few average players. I don’t think Leeds have signed well enough, Cas the same and you’d imagine Wigan’s season will be more about preparing for 2020. What makes you think Clark will be the best overseas signing? His stats for South Sydney are very average (at best) and he just screams of signing an Aussie for the sake of it. As for us missing Wilkin, I can assure you we won’t. He played well at times last year but in the big games his age caught up with him and he was very poor.

Got A Season Ticket

1 saints
    2 warrington
    3 cas
    4 wigan
    5 wakey

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

It’s an interesting one, there’s lots of unknowns this year but there are a few teams who you could make a case for on paper.

In reality though, you need some luck with injuries. You look at Saints last season, CCSF we lose Peyroux and Ryan Morgan leading up to the game and concede tries on that edge. Semi final against Warrington, Roby isn’t fit, Peyroux lasts 20 minutes, Lomax snaps a finger and the season is done.

Some good signings this year though, as Rogues says, Leeds could be anything but I think they’ve signed a really solid player in Trent Merrin. If Hurrell and Lolohea live up to their potential they’ll be dangerous but I’m not sure they’ve got a Sinfield who’s going to kick them around the pitch.

We saw last season how one superstar player carries other players up levels with him and Austin is potentially someone who can do that for Warrington. He’ll give them another threat besides Clark and Ratchford but I think it’s more of a mental thing with them.

Wigan are always horrible in big games and any team with Hardaker, Williams, Leuluai and O’Loughlin will take some knocking out because they’ll stick at it. O’Loughlin has produced three of the best performances ive seen at the new stadium so it’ll be interesting to see how we try and stop him in round 1. Hull FC will have all of their players back fit as well and have threats in their team.

For us, I think it’s pretty obvious that we need to kick better and manage games better. I also think that defensively we need to be better in the big games.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    I would go for the following:

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace

Lomax
    Richardson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Paulo

Knowles
    Douglas
    LMS
    Lees

I don't think that we can expect Thompson to start at 13 and then revert to prop week in, week out. With the decrease in interchanges, he will need rest time in games, otherwise he may be burned out come the end part of the season when we'll need him most.

I'd have Knowles on the bench to spell Roby with Douglas and Lees swapping with Walmsley and Thompson.
    LMS on the bench as he can provide utility cover in both the forwards and backs if required
    I am not convinced about Knowles at 9. Yes, he can do the dirty stuff but his distribution accuracy & speed weren't good enough last year when he played at hooker

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I am not convinced about Knowles at 9. Yes, he can do the dirty stuff but his distribution accuracy & speed weren't good enough last year when he played at hooker
    Knowles is poor at 9, never a hooker in a million years he's an excellent back rower tho

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Holbrook has been working on his game in various positions, hooker, second row and loose forward and is more involved in set plays in the middle of the oppositions 20 metres. Apparently he has had an impressive pre season and wants step up a level, Holbrook probably needs to decide where and when he is going to be more effective. But we've got a lot of competition for places now so everyone is going to be fighting for selection in the first 17.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Holbrook has been working on his game in various positions, hooker, second row and loose forward and is more involved in set plays in the middle of the oppositions 20 metres. Apparently he has had an impressive pre season and wants step up a level, Holbrook probably needs to decide where and when he is going to be more effective. But we've got a lot of competition for places now so everyone is going to be fighting for selection in the first 17.
    With the reduced interchanges, players are going to have to be able to play a couple of positions. I think less teams will run with a natural 9/half on the bench so any halves that get crook mid game is going to be interesting

Learning All The Songs

Can't understand people starting with Walmsley, far better coming off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Can't understand people starting with Walmsley, far better coming off the bench
    I agree and I think with him coming back from such a long lay-off it makes even more sense. I’d start Thompson alongside Douglas probably and then have plenty impact from the bench with Walmsley, LMS,Lees,etc.

Coote
    Grace
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Douglas
    Roby
    Thompson
    Taia
    Peyroux
    Paulo

Walmsley
    Lees
    Knowles
    LMS

Ashworth essentially first reserve. I think he’ll go mainly with Knowles as interchange hooker as he will hope to develop his skills in this position and be left with someone who can defend strongly too. I do like Fages as he does change the tempo of the game but can be picked out in our defensive line and in big games one weaker tackle on a big second rower near the line can be the difference. I’m sure he’ll play 10-15 games minimum still even if he is second choice and Holbrook does intend to rotate

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Coote
    Grace
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Douglas
    Roby
    Thompson
    Taia
    Peyroux
    Paulo

Walmsley
    Lees
    Knowles
    LMS

Ashworth essentially first reserve. I think he’ll go mainly with Knowles as interchange hooker as he will hope to develop his skills in this position and be left with someone who can defend strongly too. I do like Fages as he does change the tempo of the game but can be picked out in our defensive line and in big games one weaker tackle on a big second rower near the line can be the difference. I’m sure he’ll play 10-15 games minimum still even if he is second choice and Holbrook does intend to rotate
    Spot on that for me (apart from Grace being a bit overworked ) I think that’s the team I posted earlier in the thread.

What’s good is we have genuine depth now, especially in the forwards. I think we could just about cover an injury to any player really, apart from maybe Roby.

Sorry! Meant to put Tommy on Percy’s wing!

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    That's pretty much how I see it myself although I'm not sure how a certain Thomas Makinson will feel. Possibly the 3 backrowers have something to prove but we're pretty well covered should that not work out early doors.
    I agree on the second rowers. They’ll have to hit the ground running as there’s probably 3-5 lads who could be brought in at their expense with minimum shuffling around