Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I totally get what your saying and it's something I've brought up myself, especially earlier when it was announced but signing coote doesn't necessarily mean we're going to turn into all out percentage rugby. You need to play smart to win big games. Both us and cas have shown you can be a joy to watch all season and still fail at the last hurdle. How many saints fans think last season was a success? I genuinely think that Warrington semi could have been put to bed if we'd been smarter and had better last tackle plays. Wigan would have strangled that game out of them if they went a score up after half time.

We've signed a ball playing forward and a strike centre. Not really choices for percentage rugby

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I totally get what your saying and it's something I've brought up myself, especially earlier when it was announced but signing coote doesn't necessarily mean we're going to turn into all out percentage rugby. You need to play smart to win big games. Both us and cas have shown you can be a joy to watch all season and still fail at the last hurdle. How many saints fans think last season was a success? I genuinely think that Warrington semi could have been put to bed if we'd been smarter and had better last tackle plays. Wigan would have strangled that game out of them if they went a score up after half time.

We've signed a ball playing forward and a strike centre. Not really choices for percentage rugby
    Agree completely with this and I posted something similar a while back about us being better placed to win the tight games on 2019. Little things like forcing repeat sets in tight games can make all the difference. Having someone with the experience of Coote who has the ability to kick much smarter than Richardson so often does will be huge for us I think.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Agree completely with this and I posted something similar a while back about us being better placed to win the tight games on 2019. Little things like forcing repeat sets in tight games can make all the difference. Having someone with the experience of Coote who has the ability to kick much smarter than Richardson so often does will be huge for us I think.
    I agree with you. I think Lomax will offer more threat at full back than Coote will. Coote will offer a better kicking game in the halves than Lomax. I would hope to see Lomax at 1 and Coote at 6

I understand that Coote prefers fullback but is happy to play stand off. I’m not much of a theorist of the modern game but I understand that a fullback who can run the ball through small holes in the opposition defence is required. Lomax is no Barba in that respect but I think he will be better than Coote and I think he is very good with the ball inhand. Fullback gives him more of the freedom to roam and link in with the attack inside either second row forward. Coote would put more pressure on the opposition at the end of our sets which might also allow Richardson to use his speed with ball in hand a bit more

They can both defend so that’s not a deciding factor

Anyway roll on the new season. I think this team could actually attack better than last seasons team did as a unit over all. Obviously, any team will miss a super star like Barba but I’m optimistic that this team is better over all and hopefully tougher in the tight matches.

Time will tell whether they have more mental strength as well. I’ve no dea on that one

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Will we win the regular season again most people tipping Warrington!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Will we win the regular season again most people tipping Warrington!
    When you say 'most people', I gather you don't mean bookmakers because everyone of them has Saints as favourites.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Very marginal favourites people on forums tipping warrington

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I agree with you. I think Lomax will offer more threat at full back than Coote will. Coote will offer a better kicking game in the halves than Lomax. I would hope to see Lomax at 1 and Coote at 6

I understand that Coote prefers fullback but is happy to play stand off. I’m not much of a theorist of the modern game but I understand that a fullback who can run the ball through small holes in the opposition defence is required. Lomax is no Barba in that respect but I think he will be better than Coote and I think he is very good with the ball inhand. Fullback gives him more of the freedom to roam and link in with the attack inside either second row forward. Coote would put more pressure on the opposition at the end of our sets which might also allow Richardson to use his speed with ball in hand a bit more

They can both defend so that’s not a deciding factor

Anyway roll on the new season. I think this team could actually attack better than last seasons team did as a unit over all. Obviously, any team will miss a super star like Barba but I’m optimistic that this team is better over all and hopefully tougher in the tight matches.

Time will tell whether they have more mental strength as well. I’ve no dea on that one
    A number of positions aren't as 'set in stone' as they used to be, with players moving roles more fluidly, even within games.

I'm hoping there's interchanging between Lomax & Coote at 1 & 6 throughout games to mix it up and keep opposition defences guessing.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    A number of positions aren't as 'set in stone' as they used to be, with players moving roles more fluidly, even within games.

I'm hoping there's interchanging between Lomax & Coote at 1 & 6 throughout games to mix it up and keep opposition defences guessing.
    I would imagine that Coote will play a lot as 6 on attack with Lomax being the runner,but there are a lot of options to keep teams guessing.

Learning All The Songs

Webbo and Brook I’m sure your right. We also have good speed in centres and wings left and right and our pack looks bigger as well as more dynamic with Walmsley back and Thompson doing so well. Pualo is a ball player apparently

I’m excited to see how we go and how Holbrook mixes things up which I am sure he will

Can’t wait!

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I understand both sides of the Coote thing to be fair but the club live and die by these decisions. Barba leaving wasn’t unexpected, they had the time to figure out who to sign. Coote will bring to Saints what he’s brought to the Cowboys and they were the best team on the planet with him in it. He did a lot of kicking down the left for them, he’s tough, he’s got good hands, he’s got good feet, he’s got acceleration. We could have brought in another full back but had that been the case, we’d have needed a scrum half and to be honest, Lomax was brilliant last year and I think Richardson deserves another shot as well. If you sign a half for three years, if Richardson turns into Andrew Johns by September, what then? If the idea is that Richardson is more of a running player, this season he’s got Naquima on his shoulder who more of an attacking threat than Morgan (so in terms of strike in attack, you could say that’s an upgrade), he’s got Peyroux and Makinson there as well and he’s got Coote taking pressure off him inside him. A good running player should be able to prosper in that company.

Also, an important thing for me is that if worst comes to worst, Naquima and Lomax have played at full back for their countries. Coote can, and may even start the year playing in the halves, there’s options to change it if needed. I don’t think there’s a need to worry really because of that.

I also think that with the interchanges and the rule changes, kicking the ball becomes even more important. Having a left foot/right foot option is really good and a lot of successful teams have that that, we had it when we were successful. Cameron Smith/Cooper Cronk is arguably the best example in recent years when it comes manipulating a back field and the effects that can have. Back three’s can’t set as early because there’s always an option of a 40/20 on one side of the field and Coote is good enough to exploit that.

In terms of Saints as a team, I’d like to see us be less structured with the ball. Last season, I felt we were too predictable in that towards the end of the year, you could predict where the ball was going, we were very fixed in terms of where players were standing. Barba got some stick and rightly so at times, but everyone in the ground knew when and where he was going to get the ball. That’s down to the coaches so this year I’d like to see our halves have a bit more freedom to roam around the field a little bit more and I’d like to see more plays in attack rather than having two leads and going out the ball all the time.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Default 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I understand both sides of the Coote thing to be fair but the club live and die by these decisions. Barba leaving wasn’t unexpected, they had the time to figure out who to sign. Coote will bring to Saints what he’s brought to the Cowboys and they were the best team on the planet with him in it. He did a lot of kicking down the left for them, he’s tough, he’s got good hands, he’s got good feet, he’s got acceleration. We could have brought in another full back but had that been the case, we’d have needed a scrum half and to be honest, Lomax was brilliant last year and I think Richardson deserves another shot as well. If you sign a half for three years, if Richardson turns into Andrew Johns by September, what then? If the idea is that Richardson is more of a running player, this season he’s got Naquima on his shoulder who more of an attacking threat than Morgan (so in terms of strike in attack, you could say that’s an upgrade), he’s got Peyroux and Makinson there as well and he’s got Coote taking pressure off him inside him. A good running player should be able to prosper in that company.

Also, an important thing for me is that if worst comes to worst, Naquima and Lomax have played at full back for their countries. Coote can, and may even start the year playing in the halves, there’s options to change it if needed. I don’t think there’s a need to worry really because of that.

I also think that with the interchanges and the rule changes, kicking the ball becomes even more important. Having a left foot/right foot option is really good and a lot of successful teams have that that, we had it when we were successful. Cameron Smith/Cooper Cronk is arguably the best example in recent years when it comes manipulating a back field and the effects that can have. Back three’s can’t set as early because there’s always an option of a 40/20 on one side of the field and Coote is good enough to exploit that.

In terms of Saints as a team, I’d like to see us be less structured with the ball. Last season, I felt we were too predictable in that towards the end of the year, you could predict where the ball was going, we were very fixed in terms of where players were standing. Barba got some stick and rightly so at times, but everyone in the ground knew when and where he was going to get the ball. That’s down to the coaches so this year I’d like to see our halves have a bit more freedom to roam around the field a little bit more and I’d like to see more plays in attack rather than having two leads and going out the ball all the time.
    Brilliant post and it sums up my thoughts exactly.

The last part about us being predictable is spot on, I think the coaches got away lightly because everyone wanted to blame Barba. We didn’t have a plan B for when Barba got shut down and that’s down to the coaches.

Having strike players on both flanks this year should give us more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I've mentioned in other posts that I think ur recruitment has been good and that this season we appear more balanced. For me, you have put all the detail to that point of view. Good post

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

All valid points and we do look more flexible in the backline options, for me we still have a weakness in Holbrook himself in his indecision to make positional changes when things don't go to plan, Im hoping our coach has learnt lessons from the way last season unfolded.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    All valid points and we do look more flexible in the backline options, for me we still have a weakness in Holbrook himself in his indecision to make positional changes when things don't go to plan, Im hoping our coach has learnt lessons from the way last season unfolded.
    I can see exactly where you are coming from, however, I feel Holbrook was in a no win situation, if he had of dropped the ‘stand out Player’ of the early season he would have been criticised. To stay with a player that was obviously out of sorts in the hope that he would find his earlier form would also lead to criticism.
    Looking back, we should have dropped Barba when his form dipped, but that takes a very brave or foolish (depending on the outcome) Coach.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by knowsley roader View Post
    I can see exactly where you are coming from, however, I feel Holbrook was in a no win situation, if he had of dropped the ‘stand out Player’ of the early season he would have been criticised. To stay with a player that was obviously out of sorts in the hope that he would find his earlier form would also lead to criticism.
    Looking back, we should have dropped Barba when his form dipped, but that takes a very brave or foolish (depending on the outcome) Coach.
    The majority of fans assumed that Barba was distracted because he was seeking a NRL contract, which may be true, but JH was also privileged to any injuries that BB may have been carrying at the time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think our trouble last year was that over 90% of the time things did go to plan.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by knowsley roader View Post
    So are you saying Holbrook is a poor coach and scared of criticism

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    So are you saying Holbrook is a poor coach and scared of criticism
    Neither, Whatever he did he would have faced criticism. He stuck to his guns and did what he thought was right. Let’s see what this season brings.

Learning All The Songs

Our main problems last year were, we had a scrum half who didn’t have a clue what he was doing and was out of control most of the time and pretty much all of our attack went down that left hand side and more often than not through Barba. It became predictable and teams worked it out. Coote isn’t as good as Barba meaning we shouldn’t have to rely on him to anywhere near the same extent which should benefit us as the season goes on.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Having a left footed kicker in the team is certainly a good thing, and it's something I've spoken about before- it was the primary reason I supported Jon Wilkin remaining in the team the past couple seasons.

When NQL where the best team on the planet (2016), they had the best metre-making forward in the sport, one of the best game managing halves ever, who was still in his prime at that point, and a genuine x-factor player in Michael Morgan at his side. In that grand final against Brisbane, Thurston threw the ball to Morgan and he produced the magic to put the winger away to take the game to golden point. Last season was the first since 2010 that they didn't make the finals and they were really bad to watch. They really struggled to score points. Why? Morgan missed most of the season through injury and so they experimented with different partners for Thurston as a result. They signed Martin mid-season from Penrith and in the end he took Coote's position at full back and a junior was brought in to partner JT. Their attack improved and Coote didn't play again and was released. They've signed a new full back, specifically to improve their attack- Ben Barba. An interesting stat I've just seen for last season, is that Thurston still had the best stats for forcing repeat sets, so building this pressure, but yet this didn't result in points on the score board often enough.

Yes the NRL and SL are different competitions, but I can only see Saints attack becoming more structured, because I'm not sure who has that individual brilliance in Coote, Lomax or Richardson to create that something out of nothing. I do like Naquima and think he will offer more in attack than Ryan Morgan, but he's not Radradra or Koroibete and so fans have to be realistic there. Joseph Paulo is a ball playing forward, but I think Leeds have signed a better one in Trent Merrin. This is my point Frenchman, about Saints spending their money wisely.

This is all really good debate and thankfully the new season is fast approaching. I guess Saints friendly with Hull FC in a couple of weeks will give an indication of the coach's plans.

Regards,

STEVO
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 6th January 2019 at 22:17.

Learning All The Songs

Is KC’s lad still at Saints ?. When is Lees contracted at saints till.

Banned

Looking at longer range weather forecasts, I think there's a decent chance the season opener might be dicey.

Looking at longer range weather forecasts, I think there's a decent chance the season opener might be dicey.
    Icy?

In The South Stand

Why? A bit of snow forcast for the morning, but certainly warm enough to melt any snow during the day. Only -1 at night forecast for that weekend.

If I was in charge, I would go for something like...

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace

Lomax
    Richardson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Douglas
    Peyroux
    Paulo
    Thompson

Ashworth
    Taia
    LMS
    Lees

Start with a big pack. Bring Taia on after 15 mins for Walmsley and keep him on for the rest of the match. This should wear a lot of teams out, stopping our big men.
    After 25 bring on Ashworth and Lees at this point to run at tired defenders before half time.

Our focus needs to be on getting the ball to our wingers more often. Moving Taia into the middle would help with this.

I am interested to see how Percy goes in 2019. He is not a wingers centre, which probably cost him an international spot. If he can add some better passing to his game he could become even better. If not, he could stagnate.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.