Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superleague Grand Final - Uncovered

Learning All The Songs

Just watched it. Could have done with more behind the scenes but still a decent watch love his ending about going into pre season.. funny.
    Hopefully channel 4 can really build on this and start to do some content off the field to help raise the profile all round.
    Last edited by CGSaint; 2nd October 2022 at 16:23.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

What's a sook

Learning All The Songs

Ch4 do cover RL really well but sadly the game doesn’t get a penny for it. Now if it led to a big new TV deal at the end of next season then great. If not we’ll just have to hope Sky give us another deal with the same amount of cash we get off them currently.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    What's a sook
    Someone sulking. I think.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Yep. God forbid we have a woman's opinion of the game.
    Jodie Cunnigham and Danika offer the same as most studio pundits and are there to even the gender presentation. No better than Leon Pryce but no worse either. Personally when Kev Brown is on I actively sit up and listen that is what all pundits should be aspiring to, male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Ulrich of Augsburg View Post
    Yeah, we don't want charismatic top professionals like Skelton in RL, just mumbling northern stereotypes trotting out the usual clichés for us please!
    Skelton a top professional who is charismatic? If that is your view fair enough. A northern girl with a northern accent who married an RL player is not a stereotype?
    Carney is not everyone`s cup of tea but he has wit as when he put Eddie Jones in his box and the Sky News presenters when GB lions were announced. He can put a serious question and debate very well probably aided by the fact he gained his Law degree before he tried his luck as a professional RL player. He is not a "dyed in the wool" RL man as his background until early 20`s was GAA, he rose through the ranks and became an international certainly not a stereotypical northern RL player.

We had a brilliant woman presenter on the BBC, Claire Balding, a posh southern lady who read up on the background of our sport before presenting it. Helen Skelton could only dream of being half as good as her.

Learning All The Songs

I like Skelton, I think she brings a good energy to the presentation. Danika doesnt really offer anything as an analyst (regardless of gender) and someone like Jodie Cunningham/Emily Rudge/Courtney Winfield-Hill would provide better insight for me.

Having Claire Balding involved would be great, she's excellent, but I'm not sure whether she's contractually tied to other channels?

I missed it, but expected it to be on 4od - it's not. Anyone know if it's going up on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    I missed it, but expected it to be on 4od - it's not. Anyone know if it's going up on there?
    Sorry ignore this, no sooner had I asked I found the issue i was having. It IS on 4od.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    I watched this afternoon on All4 scroll down to the sports section.
    try this link.
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...r-league-rugby

Got A Season Ticket

Just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. As others have said not that much behind the scenes stuff but a great way to present the highlights. Also, how can you not like Skelton?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    Just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. As others have said not that much behind the scenes stuff but a great way to present the highlights. Also, how can you not like Skelton?
    Skelton provides a different angle and is bubbly, enthusiastic and vivacious, what's not to like? Having been married to a SL player she'll also have insights on how the game impacts on lifestyle. I think she's a good presenter who will bring people to the game. The Aussie frontman also obviously loves the game and Kyle Amor is great at punditry with his relevant and crucially recent, experience within the sport. He's got sound indepth knowledge of the modern game and is charismatic and articulate. Juxtapose all this with SKY's tired presentation. Presenters and pundits coforming to the whippet walking cloth cap stereotype whilst harking back to the "good old days" of "biff and bash". They're completely out of touch with the modern day athlete that is the modern SL player. Add to that the constant mickey taking and running down of the game itself and you realise SKY are driving the game down a cul de sac presentation wise.

Have to say having read the comments on here I expected a lot more after watching it. I was away at weekend so only watched it last night. The mic'd up part was barely worth bothering with, I think the Leeds team manager only said a couple of sentences. Similarly with Peter Matautia he shouted "Si" a couple of times I think and that was that.

Other than the piece on Oledzki and the one on Wellens it offered nothing other than what I saw on Sky, just different voices on the commentary. Also to be fair to Sky, Tomkins offers much more as a pundit bearing in mind he is a current player.

Got A Season Ticket

Just watched this on all 4 and really enjoyed it.

I saw that IMG are the ones that are producing all the live super league matches and shows for channel 4. They also seem to work closely with channel 4 on other sports productions like horse racing and nations league football so I think that close partnership will definitely be good news for us going forward, just as the way all of the matches and shows have been produced this season shows the future under IMGs vision in a super positive light. I really think we could be onto something big here as a sport and it’s pretty exciting.

Let’s hope it’s not another false dawn

Learning All The Songs

One thing that was very evident from the channel 4 program was someone needs to give Newman a good dressing down.

He's a talented player no doubt, but with the sulky toddler attitude he's got he'll never get anywhere with no resilience to adversity. The product of poor parenting, I hope he can mature beyond that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    One thing that was very evident from the channel 4 program was someone needs to give Newman a good dressing down.

He's a talented player no doubt, but with the sulky toddler attitude he's got he'll never get anywhere with no resilience to adversity. The product of poor parenting, I hope he can mature beyond that.
    He’s the perfect example of the type of player that Saints would never sign lacking in character and temperament. Woolf in his latest interview that a player needs to be a “saints person” off the pitch as well as on it, and that’s all part of the saints culture.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post

I came on here to say the same thing as I watched it earlier. What a petulant idiot, as you’ve said his parents have clearly let him get away with murder his whole life and he’s become an entitled, whiney little shit

It might never happen but I’d describe him as the type of person who will show no loyalty and will go to rugby Union, chasing more money

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He’s the perfect example of the type of player that Saints would never sign lacking in character and temperament. Woolf in his latest interview that a player needs to be a “saints person” off the pitch as well as on it, and that’s all part of the saints culture.
    Woolf summed it up in an interview after GF

" you don't see these guys getting their names in the newspapers for the wrong reasons"

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Have to say having read the comments on here I expected a lot more after watching it. I was away at weekend so only watched it last night. The mic'd up part was barely worth bothering with, I think the Leeds team manager only said a couple of sentences. Similarly with Peter Matautia he shouted "Si" a couple of times I think and that was that.

Other than the piece on Oledzki and the one on Wellens it offered nothing other than what I saw on Sky, just different voices on the commentary. Also to be fair to Sky, Tomkins offers much more as a pundit bearing in mind he is a current player.
    I agree to a point, but to be fair to CH 4 they are new to this and on a time constraint. I liked the different camera angles and the overall feel. Agree re the mic up bits, but that said they do it in NFL and it’s also quite brief snippets.
    I noted that Sky showed more pre game for the NRL grand final than they did for our GF which says a lot.
    I have liked CH 4s coverage and hope they take over the coverage from Sky ASAP. Room for improvement I agree but I think they will do better next season and beyond.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I agree to a point, but to be fair to CH 4 they are new to this and on a time constraint. I liked the different camera angles and the overall feel. Agree re the mic up bits, but that said they do it in NFL and it’s also quite brief snippets.
    I noted that Sky showed more pre game for the NRL grand final than they did for our GF which says a lot.
    I have liked CH 4s coverage and hope they take over the coverage from Sky ASAP. Room for improvement I agree but I think they will do better next season and beyond.
    Is CH4 do take over production from Sky (via IMG) how long will it be before we start slagging Adam Hills off for being Pro Wire etc

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Is CH4 do take over production from Sky (via IMG) how long will it be before we start slagging Adam Hills off for being Pro Wire etc
    2 weeks

Got A Season Ticket grungellamas's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. Agree with lots already shared on here. I've enjoyed all the C4 coverage this season. Yep, Kyle Amor is great on all of the platforms he's working for. I can't stand watching SKY - it's like listening to a gossip column rather than commentary of what's actually happening on the field. Why is that? Why don't they talk about the actual game they're watching and just have a few tit-bits to fill in any stoppages.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by grungellamas View Post
    I really enjoyed it. Agree with lots already shared on here. I've enjoyed all the C4 coverage this season. Yep, Kyle Amor is great on all of the platforms he's working for. I can't stand watching SKY - it's like listening to a gossip column rather than commentary of what's actually happening on the field. Why is that? Why don't they talk about the actual game they're watching and just have a few tit-bits to fill in any stoppages.
    Spot on my friend.