Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good effort

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Josh Perry had his best game in a Saints shirt for me and Scott Moore was outstanding.
    I agree with you. It was great to see them both performing well and they both made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Dan View Post
    I don't think you can judge Kyle based on that. You can question the coach though who essentially plays an already weak/depleated team 1 sub down for 70 mins and also why the coach thinks Kyle would be a better option than Gaskell.
    Not sure who would be a better option? It only leaves one of our fringe forwards who have zero impact in the tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Firstly, to cover injuries. Secondly, to give him game time. Thirdly, maybe Gaskell was a bit overwhelmed? Fourthly, Kyle can be explosive. He kicked a beautiful short kick and boy have we missed his kicking game.
    1. Your covering something which may never and hopefully would never happen. If all goes well then your playing with 16 men. Something we simply cannot afford to do. Something which is ridiculous when you have players who would be more than capable of A) making a contribution for the first 70 shifting around if neccesary.

2. "game time" isn't something we should be giving players when down by 7 points in an extremely tight game against rivals.

3. His performance suggested he wasn't, and if he was then he should have been brought off earlier.

4. CAN BE being the optimal phrase. He hasn't done anything this season.

I'm not having a dig at Kyle. It has nothing to do with him. I think it is an absolutely terrible ploy whether Kyle is the bench guy or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I don't think you can judge Kyle based on that. You can question the coach though who essentially plays an already weak/depleated team 1 sub down for 70 mins and also why the coach thinks Kyle would be a better option than Gaskell.
    Though gaskell was very poor again tonight. Twelve minutes isn't enough for Kyle to make any sort of impact, and didn't do anything wrong. Not impressed by Simmons' tactic with regards to subs, we played 60 minutes with 15 men. That said, throw Pryce in, and cloughy on the bench it's a different team..

Not watched it again, a few initial thoughts. Wellens defensively was excellent, however he's potentially cost us two tries tonight, being too slow to pick up the charge down (although you can level that at gaskell really) and where he cost us a drop out which they scored from.

Thought we made crucial errors at important points, lomax's knock on following the 40/20, and graham's from a penalty are two which immediately spring to mind.

Once again I think reverted back to one out rugby when we looked good playing rugby.

Wire certainly are beatable though

It seems like we are trying to put 3 men into a tackle now, similar to Wigan. For a big period it slowed them down well and we were frustrating them!

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Wire certainly are beatable though
    I think that's the best thing to come out of the game.

In The West Stand

To be fair, if the coach felt the game needed Kyle, then he left too late. Maybe a better option could have been to put Gaskell at centre, and move Sia to the forwards. We would have had a little pace on the field, and still a pretty fresh forward moving inside. The really disappointing thing is, they were there to be beaten, we gave away a very soft 1st try, conceded what looked like a blatant knock on try, King's was a good try, but we should have attacked him more after his injury. We then made a great fightback, but needed to score first in the 2nd half, but went onto lose the ball on the first tackle on at least 3 occasions, then they score at 2 maybe 3 tries on the back of penalties. One more thing, for those who have seen the match on TV, was Meli not impeded for the Hodgson try? because someone definately made contact with him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    To be fair, if the coach felt the game needed Kyle, then he left too late. Maybe a better option could have been to put Gaskell at centre, and move Sia to the forwards. We would have had a little pace on the field, and still a pretty fresh forward moving inside. The really disappointing thing is, they were there to be beaten, we gave away a very soft 1st try, conceded what looked like a blatant knock on try, King's was a good try, but we should have attacked him more after his injury. We then made a great fightback, but needed to score first in the 2nd half, but went onto lose the ball on the first tackle on at least 3 occasions, then they score at 2 maybe 3 tries on the back of penalties. One more thing, for those who have seen the match on TV, was Meli not impeded for the Hodgson try? because someone definately made contact with him.
    I thought it was a 100% clear obstruction. Shaun Mcrae disagreed but what does he know? They put it down to a bad read by Meli but for me he was stopped from making the tackle when he wanted to

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I thought it was a 100% clear obstruction. Shaun Mcrae disagreed but what does he know? They put it down to a bad read by Meli but for me he was stopped from making the tackle when he wanted to
    I've not watched it again, but I was happy with the decision. I was more concerned by foster and meli's garbage attempts at the tackle

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I've not watched it again, but I was happy with the decision. I was more concerned by foster and meli's garbage attempts at the tackle
    But as I saw it at the game, on the screen, the penalty should have been awarded before the tackles were to be made. The way I saw it was, that it was no different to what happened at Bradford, a player made contact with a defender, thus making his attempted tackle more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    The thing with obstruction is that it isn't objective, it's more of a subjective call as it's all to do with the ref's interpretation and each ref has their own.

Learning All The Songs Gruntfuttock's Avatar

I agree but Smith was Video Ref at Bradford as well
    Pre-Match drinks?
    try the George Hotel , George St
    St Helens , A real Saints pub

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I agree but Smith was Video Ref at Bradford as well
    I nearly added this point onto my post but I haven't seen it yet to make a judgment.

I thought Perry played well.

Soliola had a good game too.

What did annoy me last night was how Stevo and a couple of others were seemingly 'knocking' the performances of LMS this season. Ok, he probably hasn't made as much impact as the lad himself would have wanted, but he hasn't played badly, far from it. He runs aggressively, and takes the ball up for us, and does his work in defence.

As much as it will annoy the people who cannot have a bad word said against him, if there was one of our forwards that needed to give us some go forward, it is James Graham, who at the moment, seems to be 'talking a good game' when on the pitch and shouting abuse at officials, etc... when really, he needs to direct his aggression at giving us some go forward.

Learning All The Songs Saint Jasper's Avatar

this is what I was trying to say really, well put.
    Warrington have still never won in 16 Super League attempts at Knowsley Road. And, with Saints off to a new home next year, now they never will.

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    As much as it will annoy the people who cannot have a bad word said against him, if there was one of our forwards that needed to give us some go forward, it is James Graham, who at the moment, seems to be 'talking a good game' when on the pitch and shouting abuse at officials, etc... when really, he needs to direct his aggression at giving us some go forward.

I agree.

You can forgive/allow Jammer petulance and shouting at officials when he is making good yards but he is just getting dominated at the minute and the opposition know he will never have ago at them he'd much rather stomp around at the ref.

We really lack someone who is willing to get stuck in and if needed throw a few punches. We are too willing to take any big hits/dirty tactics/dominant tackles.
    That's Conroy for you. 95% of the time he is one of the most knowledgeable posters we have.

Learning All The Songs Dynamite Don Brennan's Avatar

I agree.

You can forgive/allow Jammer petulance and shouting at officials when he is making good yards but he is just getting dominated at the minute and the opposition know he will never have ago at them he'd much rather stomp around at the ref.

We really lack someone who is willing to get stuck in and if needed throw a few punches. We are too willing to take any big hits/dirty tactics/dominant tackles.
    Hang about, havent we done that and unlike other teams copped a ban for It.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite Don Brennan View Post
    Hang about, havent we done that and unlike other teams copped a ban for It.
    1 time. Before that the last punch thrown by a Saints player was probably Scully.

More than just punching though we seem all too willing to accept any nigling dirty play or cheap shots and would rather stomp around at the ref (Wellens and Jammer) rather than giving abit back and getting stuck in, especially our props.

Teams must know that if they get slightly dirty (and the refs ignore it) then we won't respond.

Learning All The Songs Dynamite Don Brennan's Avatar

1 time. Before that the last punch thrown by a Saints player was probably Scully.

More than just punching though we seem all too willing to accept any nigling dirty play or cheap shots and would rather stomp around at the ref (Wellens and Jammer) rather than giving abit back and getting stuck in, especially our props.

Teams must know that if they get slightly dirty (and the refs ignore it) then we won't respond.
    Last week deffo,this week I thought we held our own In that department.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

My thoughts on last night.

Our best performance of the entire season for 35 mins (25 in the first and 10 in the second).

Decidedly average for the remainder.

We have completely lost the ability to control the tempo of the game. Last night Wire did to us what we have done to sides for 10+ years. They upped the tempo when they needed to do so and effectively did just enough to win the contest. I actually could not believe we were so poor for the first 25 of the second half. When you have worked like we did to get back in the game, it was unforgivable to give it away again by reducing our intensity. We upped the intensity of our game for 35 minutes and Wire literally did not have an answer to us, they couldn't get out of their own half for periods last night. Moore was absolutely immense and has completely changed my opinion of him around, really wanted it in a massive game last night. Perry showed why we missed him against Wigan. We actually improved and began to dominate in the periods where Perry and Moore were on the field together.

Anyway

He is second in the league for the amount of meters he has made

His performances seem to have drastically dropped though. He just isn't breaking tackles and is dominated in most collisions.

Banned

What were his metres in the last two weeks? Thought he was poor against us but did well last night