Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 254 of 468 FirstFirst ... 154204234244250251252253254255256257258264274304354 ... LastLast
Results 6,326 to 6,350 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The South Stand

The thing with Dufty is that he isn't trying to defend. There was one hilarious clip at the weekend where a Hull lead runner goes through, possibly Griffin, and Dufty just carries on running to get out of his way. He could have at least made a challenge and tried to dislodge the ball, but he had absolutely no interest in putting his body in the way of him. He was the same against us, there were a couple of times he could have got to the ball carrier and whilst he might not have successfully made the tackle, not even trying to is criminal.

Someone above put that Field puts his body on the line in defense. I'd hate to him half hearted then if that's his defending when fully committed.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I'd put Dufty in the same category as Adam Quinlan. He had pace to burn and scored plenty for Saints & HKR, always there to support a break, but like Dufty his defence was absolutely awful. It was pretty much guaranteed that if the opposition made a break then they were going to score a try if the only person in front of them was Quinlan. Though in Quinlan's defence he at least attempted to tackle, Dufty always manages not to even attempt one but try to make it look like he has. For someone with so much pace funny how he never manages to get across to attempt that try saving tackle, something you'd expect of any decent full back at any level.

As for your question on Lam, he's OK but I wouldn't rate him as anything better than we already have at the club. That said I can't see the need for him anyway. If Dodd leaves then its inevitable the Welsby would move to 6 with Bennison going to 1, and while i'm not yet convinced that Moss will make it (he hasn't really been given a chance to prove himself yet), there are some other outstanding half backs coming through in the junior teams.
    Quinlan definitely did his best to defend. His problem was lack of bulk/power. He could tackle low but couldn’t have held up an attacking player and could be bulldozed one to one. A lot braver than Dufty though.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Tomkins singing Whitley’s praises;

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...to-death-about

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Quinlan definitely did his best to defend. His problem was lack of bulk/power. He could tackle low but couldn’t have held up an attacking player and could be bulldozed one to one. A lot braver than Dufty though.
    I thought the same Quinlan tried but too slight.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    As for your question on Lam, he's OK but I wouldn't rate him as anything better than we already have at the club. That said I can't see the need for him anyway. If Dodd leaves then its inevitable the Welsby would move to 6 with Bennison going to 1, and while i'm not yet convinced that Moss will make it (he hasn't really been given a chance to prove himself yet), there are some other outstanding half backs coming through in the junior teams.
    It's good to read about some promising development players at the club, whilst at the same time, I don't think the club can look too far ahead...

Some people on here said Danny Richardson would be Saints' 7 for 10 years and he lasted 1. There's other examples of young players from other clubs too, that haven't gone on and done it at senior level. So who knows?

If Dodd leaves and whether that be end of 2023 or 2024, the club should be keeping an eye on the market and seeing who's available. It would be unwise not to do so.

For me, Lam is one the club should be monitoring. Whenever I see Leigh play, Lam is involved in everything.

Mickey Lewis is another to monitor.

Both showing they can do it in SL. Would still be looking in the NRL of course, as well.

I agree what you're saying about Welsby, think he will move into the halves at some point, though not sure that will mean Bennison becomes first choice full back. I haven't seen enough of him at SL level and indeed at 1, to say that. Same with Moss.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Ritson is good enough to make it in my opinion in much the same way Bachelor had to adjust. He has pace and will be a good asset I don't see him in competition with Bennison.
    I think the difference with Batchelor (and Bentley before him) was that they had years working behind the scenes before the club were happy that they were ready. Ritson isn’t being given that grace, and is effectively a first 17 player. I agree there’s a player in there, and a couple of years adjusting could see him really excel, but we need a winger that can excel now.

The comparison with Bennison is a misnomer in the conversation really; but given it’s a coin toss between them at the moment, and we all agreed just going with Bennison this year was a complete no go, I don’t understand why the club wouldn’t reassess those options now that the market has picked up again and there are more wing options available. We could even keep Ritson as a backup winger and let him develop out of the limelight as as mentioned there going to be an opportunity to take over from Makinson in the future. With the cap space we have, that’s what I would be looking to do.

Anyway, judging from the articles today, the only players we seem sure are leaving are Roby (retiring) and Norman (Leigh). There seem to be question marks over LMS (who should be retiring to become a fireman, but there’s seems to be talk that this might be delayed), Mata’utia (who Wellens is confident will stay) and Hopoate, but I also saw an article that said Hurrell wasn’t confirmed yet either. I guess how many out of that group go will tell us how many to expect coming in.

As a side note has anyone kept up with Graces recovery? Do we think there’s any chance of him returning to Saints next year?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    As a side note has anyone kept up with Graces recovery? Do we think there’s any chance of him returning to Saints next year?
    The last I saw was an interview in about April where he spoke about his recovery and wanting to get back to playing by about November. He said he wants to prove himself in France and play for Wales ultimately. I think the Union season starts in August and he only had a one year contract, with an option for a second, so that must have been triggered. His contract would then be up about this time next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    The last I saw was an interview in about April where he spoke about his recovery and wanting to get back to playing by about November. He said he wants to prove himself in France and play for Wales ultimately. I think the Union season starts in August and he only had a one year contract, with an option for a second, so that must have been triggered. His contract would then be up about this time next year.
    With the amount of money floating around in France Racing could easily afford to give him another year. Even if they don’t he could pick up a decent contract in the 2nd division and work his way back up quickly. I don’t think we’ll see him back in league until he’s had a proper go at union.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    With the amount of money floating around in France Racing could easily afford to give him another year. Even if they don’t he could pick up a decent contract in the 2nd division and work his way back up quickly. I don’t think we’ll see him back in league until he’s had a proper go at union.
    l

Agen in the second division are paying Squad players minimum 15k pm. The better players between 25 and 30k pm.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Of course they could. But they're also not mugs. Once they feel he's not going to be the asset they thought he might, they'll let him go. It's probably more likely he'll stay in France, but I wouldn't rule anything out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Of course they could. But they're also not mugs. Once they feel he's not going to be the asset they thought he might, they'll let him go. It's probably more likely he'll stay in France, but I wouldn't rule anything out.
    I agree, my point was they can afford to take the risk. I suppose As Belgian Saint points out above, the 2nd division money in France is higher than most super league clubs as well. In the article below he references wanting to do well for Racing and targeting being back in November so it sounds like he's staying.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...arget-26796554
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The West Stand

Mindless speculation on Luke Thompson; https://www.totalrl.com/door-open-fo...-super-league/

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Mindless speculation on Luke Thompson; https://www.totalrl.com/door-open-fo...-super-league/
    Clickbait crap that tells nobody anything.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Noooobie

I believe that Adam Swift is leaving Hull FC at the end of this season because they have signed Tindall from Leeds. We are also in need of a left winger too.
    I can't help but think that it's fate him coming back and with his form this season and his display in the Magic Weekend, I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJoe147 View Post
    I believe that Adam Swift is leaving Hull FC at the end of this season because they have signed Tindall from Leeds. We are also in need of a left winger too.
    I can't help but think that it's fate him coming back and with his form this season and his display in the Magic Weekend, I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
    Pfft. I wouldn't have him back. Seems a nice guy and he's a solid enough player, but he's not as good as the players we've got now.

Pfft. I wouldn't have him back. Seems a nice guy and he's a solid enough player, but he's not as good as the players we've got now.
    Indeed we already have too many wingers. I get the feeling some fans would just play a team of wingers if it was down to them.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand

I liked Swift when he was here. Honest, hardworking but not the best. I wouldn’t want him back. Think he’ll end up at a Salford or Cas.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I liked Swift when he was here. Honest, hardworking but not the best. I wouldn’t want him back. Think he’ll end up at a Salford or Cas.
    I think he could do better than that. He would be a considerable improvement on what Leeds currently have.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Indeed we already have too many wingers. I get the feeling some fans would just play a team of wingers if it was down to them.
    We have Makinson and Ritson (whose still not confirmed as being here next year) and that’s it? It’s common consensus Bennison isn’t a winger, and beyond that we have a couple of kids, Hill, J Sambou, Lane, Gilford, who don’t have 10 games between them. Signing a top class winger, and keeping Ritson as back up as he develops is the biggest improvement we can make our squad overall at the moment.

That being said, Swift isn’t the answer. Has always looked good in try scoring situations, but is also suspect in defence and has a turning circle of an oil tanker and struggles with the kick behind.

Got A Season Ticket

Someone above put that Field puts his body on the line in defense. I'd hate to him half hearted then if that's his defending when fully committed.
    I completely agree with this, but he wasn't helped by not being full back, and being in an apparently unfamiliar position. At Magic, so many Catalan tries came through his route. Even at the game (and I am no RL tactician) I just couldn't understand why Peet didn't shuffle things around and get him out of the firing line. He was awful.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    He's been offered a contract by Sale so looks like he could be taking semi-retirement in rahrah land. You can't blame anyone for wanting to double your wages while halving the amount of work you need to do.

In The South Stand

Dan Norman has gone on loan to Leigh. Not sure we should be loaning players to clubs who are higher placed than us in the league table. How do we benefit from this exactly, when he's joining them at the end of the season anyway? It's not like his development is an issue now, why not loan him to the Championship or Wakefield?

In The West Stand

Dan Norman has gone on loan to Leigh. Not sure we should be loaning players to clubs who are higher placed than us in the league table. How do we benefit from this exactly, when he's joining them at the end of the season anyway? It's not like his development is an issue now, why not loan him to the Championship or Wakefield?
    Maybe we need to free up a bit of cap space for a resigning? A signing bonus counts in the year it was signed so maybe we have given Mata’utia a 10k signing fee and knocked a bit of money off his regular salary so he counts for less on the cap next year, which is the difference between being in the cap and over?

Is he cup tied? If so it’s only a 1 week loan anyway? Maybe he’s on a kamikaze mission to take out Jake Clifford before the Quarters

Yes I found this odd too. Effectively we are helping out a rival or maybe we just do not rate him enough to have that thought. Norman has played the last 3 or 4 games for Swinton so not sure why he could not have continued to do this.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Leigh may have paid a fee for him? Why hinder his development which he obviously needs still? He’ll want to play so why keep a player who is back up for back up against his will?

If it was a quality player leaving on loan there would be question marks, but he’s not had a look in at all so he isn’t going to be missed whilst we have a full set of forwards, barring Wingfield. If he was that highly thought of and would make a massive impact for a team above us I’m sure the decision may have been different.

No issue at all with it.