Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Percival Testimonial

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I dont think anyone is being dishonest or even misleading, but we have heard the same interview for four months last season about being right for the big games and not to be concerned, and were starting this season as we ended the last. Its a relatively big deal to miss your own testimonial game (I cant remember the last one to miss theirs) and to do so as "precautionary" as painted out by Wellens just feels a bit odd - its hardly going to be a high intensity game, and you expect the whole team to be subbed at half time. Just seems off.

All that being said, I trust the club are doing the right things, and definitely hope they prove me wrong with Percival getting a full season under his belt and easing all our worries about the centre position for the next few years.

By my count, we have Welsby, Makinson, Hopoate, Percival, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Batchelor, Knowles and LMS ruled out? That would give us a team of;

Bennison
    Sambou Hurrell Mata'utia Ritson
    Lomax Dodd
    Paasi Lussick Wingfield
    Sironen Davies
    Bell

Pemberton Royle Norman Delaney Hill Lane + anyone else who impressed during the reserves game.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Moss + Roberts on the bench so Lomax and Dodd only play 40 minutes. Maybe Bruines to get more game time at centre
    doesn't Sione have a suspension carried over from last year ? Or does the game not count towards it?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    doesn't Sione have a suspension carried over from last year ? Or does the game not count towards it?
    LMS has a one match ban for contact with the referee during the scuffle following Martin upending Lomax which absolutely should have resulted in a card based on how the game was refereed last year, but dont think Mata'utia picked up a ban in the final? Theres nothing in the disciplinary books (not that the RFL make it easy to search or be in any way useful of course ...)

Learning All The Songs

LMS has a one match ban for contact with the referee during the scuffle following Martin upending Lomax which absolutely should have resulted in a card based on how the game was refereed last year, but dont think Mata'utia picked up a ban in the final? Theres nothing in the disciplinary books (not that the RFL make it easy to search or be in any way useful of course ...)
    yes sorry , I mixed up Sione with LMS. I remember Sione had a ban carried over from the Catalans final into last year

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    yes sorry , I mixed up Sione with LMS. I remember Sione had a ban carried over from the Catalans final into last year
    Yep....he slapped that sleazey grub Maloney

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I suppose we'll see what happens with Percival when the WCC and start of the season is here, but I too have concerns over his long term fitness. Just got to hope by the time he plays his 1st game he's over the injury and plays the majority of the season. It should be a position of strength with Percival, Hopoate and Hurrell but we've been very unfortunate at Centre the last 12 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I suppose we'll see what happens with Percival when the WCC and start of the season is here, but I too have concerns over his long term fitness. Just got to hope by the time he plays his 1st game he's over the injury and plays the majority of the season. It should be a position of strength with Percival, Hopoate and Hurrell but we've been very unfortunate at Centre the last 12 months.
    yes, which makes it even more remarkable that we won number 4.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Makinson hopoate Percival Welsby Roby Lees Batchelor Knowles all missing from Fridays squad

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Yep....he slapped that sleazey grub Maloney
    After Maloney had tried to milk a penalty then lashed out at Mata'utia
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Learning All The Songs

The reserves game v Swinton will have counted as LMS ban I think

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    LMS is named in the squad for Percival’s testimonial so you must be right.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Which makes a mockery of the whole system, whatever you think of the ban in the first place, and whichever team you support.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Which makes a mockery of the whole system, whatever you think of the ban in the first place, and whichever team you support.
    Yeah it is a bit of a silly loophole. It's how the bans are worded, it's a ban towards any games a player is eligible to play in and as any first team player could play reserves it counts if there is no first team game that same week. I do think they should separate it but I don't think they will.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Guessing same for Bell from world Cup

Learning All The Songs

Cold one tonight! I thought Bell was the pick of the bunch for us, solid defensively as always and some really smart play on a couple of occasions ball in hand. Sironen was industrious and effective and Jumah Sambou had a great game, it's a shame he was injured last year off that showing as he would have got at least half a dozen games. I thought Wingfield and Norman both added off the bench, Norman in particular putting a bit more of a dent in the line than we have seen previously. When the second half came it was difficult to really judge anyone with the chopping and changing but both Baxter and Delaney played hard, Lane dealt with a couple of testing kicks and Pemberton's distribution was sharp though I'd like to see him run more.

All in all, a 'fine' run out for a pre season game and the minutes will do a few players right ahead of St George.

Got A Season Ticket

News on Ritson and Wes thingy?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    News on Ritson and Wes thingy?
    Ritson didn't really get much opportunity to run in open space. Did well to get back and clean up a kick through in the second half and returned it a good 30/40m as a highlight of his night, I though Sambou was the better winger overall. You can see he's rapid though and it'll be good to see him fly. That edge of Davies/Ritson got exposed positionally a few times but I think it was problems inside Ritson rather than him.

Bruines was quiet, didn't really do much but at the same time didn't really do much wrong. He only came on at half time and by that point it was a reserves team that moved closer towards an academy team by the end.

Got A Season Ticket

Cheers for that, BS.

Learning All The Songs

As mentioned Ritson didn't get the chance to show us his speed but you could sense the crowd lift when he got the ball, could be a good signing, Always looking to take the ball in on first tackle never did anything wrong?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Cold one tonight! I thought Bell was the pick of the bunch for us, solid defensively as always and some really smart play on a couple of occasions ball in hand. Sironen was industrious and effective and Jumah Sambou had a great game, it's a shame he was injured last year off that showing as he would have got at least half a dozen games. I thought Wingfield and Norman both added off the bench, Norman in particular putting a bit more of a dent in the line than we have seen previously. When the second half came it was difficult to really judge anyone with the chopping and changing but both Baxter and Delaney played hard, Lane dealt with a couple of testing kicks and Pemberton's distribution was sharp though I'd like to see him run more.

All in all, a 'fine' run out for a pre season game and the minutes will do a few players right ahead of St George.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Pretty accurate. Sambou was my main take away from the game. He looked a lot bigger and stronger than his last game and did a lot of work. I know it was Widnes but Sambou now looks ready .

Wingfield showed how dynamic he is and not just "a middle". He came on after about 20 mins worked as a prop. Then when Lussick got sin binned he did a small shift at hooker and looked good, I actually thought he looked better than Lussick. Then when Pemberton came on he went to Loose forward and started running more dynamically and passing more (like a lock).

I thought Baxter looked reasonable, he ran strong.
    Peposhi, who is a forward from the academy got 5 mins at the end and didn't look out of place.

Ritson ran up with the ball a bit but didn't do a great deal. However, he didnt get shown up in defence or made to look stupid under a high ball so they are positives.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Pretty accurate. Sambou was my main take away from the game. He looked a lot bigger and stronger than his last game and did a lot of work. I know it was Widnes but Sambou now looks ready .

Wingfield showed how dynamic he is and not just "a middle". He came on after about 20 mins worked as a prop. Then when Lussick got sin binned he did a small shift at hooker and looked good, I actually thought he looked better than Lussick. Then when Pemberton came on he went to Loose forward and started running more dynamically and passing more (like a lock).

I thought Baxter looked reasonable, he ran strong.
    Peposhi, who is a forward from the academy got 5 mins at the end and didn't look out of place.

Ritson ran up with the ball a bit but didn't do a great deal. However, he didnt get shown up in defence or made to look stupid under a high ball so they are positives.
    Sambou carried very well out of his own end. His edge did get caught for a break pre lussick yellow but beyond that and an overly hopeful offload he was very good

James Bell, as others have mentioned, by far the best out there with some great tip on plays for breaks

Ritson did alright, carried ok. Did very well to mop up when lane was out of position and the half break off of that got us rolling in the set leading to Bells try

Delaney put in some massive carries when we were getting a bit stuck in our end in his spell. He looks like he is going to be a very good player - looks a bit Matty Lees with more potential for yards

Came on to offer my thoughts but they were pretty much exactly this. Sambou was very impressive and I thought Norman and Lewis Baxter were excellent. Bell MOM.

I was intrigued to see Bruines but on this evidence he looks a bit raw and I wouldn't expect to see much of him in the first team for the time being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Any idea how many turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Any idea how many turned up.
    I'm not sure if the attendance was announced - I didn't hear it if it was - but the South and West stand were pretty busy (North and East were closed). I would guess about 7k.

Got A Replica Shirt

5768 according to the Saints website.