Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Home & Away Kit 2023 Revealed

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Who gives a flying f... what they play in.....
    All these moaners...We win 5 in a row if we played in f.. all.
    Just support the lads in whatever
    Totally agree this happens every year but it is amusing reading some of the comments about what you can do with a white shirt with a red V but I don’t buy rep shirts anymore so they could play in a bin bag for all I care as long as they keep picking the big silver thing up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    Doesn't mean your slagging your club you know just by giving your opinion on what you'd have liked to have seen, I thought that's what the forum was for?...
    Until the bizarre rant inspectors decree otherwise?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Totally agree this happens every year but it is amusing reading some of the comments about what you can do with a white shirt with a red V but I don’t buy rep shirts anymore so they could play in a bin bag for all I care as long as they keep picking the big silver thing up
    Is your support dependent on them picking up the big silver thing? Playing in a bin back would make them lose too much water, they would need salt tablets... now this really is a bizarre rant!

Can we have a standing thread for bizarre rants?

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I think its bizarre that by giving an opinion on a shirt your support for the team gets questioned? I'd said the shirts were nice but nothing special for 150 yrs, that's an opinion I wouldn't say its a moan....I agree it doesn't really matter but don't have a thread on kits if you don't want to hear what people think about it?

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I like both.

Will probs get my lad a toddlers kit. Ive never like oneills fabric so i will most likely wait for Saints own branded stuff to come out or wait for general sale.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Is your support dependent on them picking up the big silver thing? Playing in a bin back would make them lose too much water, they would need salt tablets... now this really is a bizarre rant!

Can we have a standing thread for bizarre rants?
    Rant give your head a wobble

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Rant give your head a wobble
    Unfortunately it’s attached and won’t wobble. But I will think long and hard about your informative and innovative post

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Unfortunately it’s attached and won’t wobble. But I will think long and hard about your informative and innovative post
    It was a light hearted post (rant lololol)to say I don’t really mind what the team wears as long as they continue to be as successful as we have been, I hope you don’t take everything in life so literal but there’s nowt as queer as folk I suppose

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I think its bizarre that by giving an opinion on a shirt your support for the team gets questioned? I'd said the shirts were nice but nothing special for 150 yrs, that's an opinion I wouldn't say its a moan....I agree it doesn't really matter but don't have a thread on kits if you don't want to hear what people think about it?
    Same as ever on here. The cheerleading is getting pretty hardcore. Suggest a signing and you're mocked, suggest the club, coach or a player made a mistake and you're hammered. Suggest the kit, whilst probably the best two we've had from O'Neills, is boring and unimaginative is also derided. The club have done brilliantly on a lot of things, the kits and training ranges have never been one of them however. Hamstrung to some degree with such an awful and lazy manufacturer, but it's still on the club.
    Last edited by Saddened!; 6th November 2022 at 22:32.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Away kit makes me think of Francis Meli for some reason.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Love it when the new kits come out as it always provides amusing reading from contributors here and other platforms. But in reality you either like it or don’t. You buy one or you don’t. People getting angry amuses me. Why? We could all design a shirt and that would get the same reaction. Some will like some won’t. However my amusement has been curtailed this year because there is a lack of ‘Why didn’t they design a shirt that looked more retro like the one when we played the Romans on Hadrian’s wall back in the day, in that famous win when James Robus scored the last minute try with a severed head’ contributors.
    Remember it’s just a shirt. For what it’s worth I like the away one.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

Be very careful pal you will be accused of ranting by some posters on here lolololol

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Remember it’s just a shirt. For what it’s worth I like the away one.
    But it could have more than "just a shirt"?
    Some people buy the shirt regardless and I have no issue with that, whereas I buy a shirt if I like it and that's my prerogative (especially in today's economic climate).
    Where I'm coming from is that I think the club missed a trick in not making at least one of the shirts a design that you'll never be able to get again, rather than a design that we'll probably see again in a couple of seasons with maybe a slight variation.
    I get where people are coming from when they say "what can you do with a Red Vee?", so maybe the club should have gone for change in just the away shirt instead of (what seems to be an increasing trend with O'Neills) just copying the home shirt and change the colours.
    I was one of the many that bought the brown and light blue hooped heritage shirt a number of years back - why? - Because it was something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    But it could have more than "just a shirt"?
    Some people buy the shirt regardless and I have no issue with that, whereas I buy a shirt if I like it and that's my prerogative (especially in today's economic climate).
    Where I'm coming from is that I think the club missed a trick in not making at least one of the shirts a design that you'll never be able to get again, rather than a design that we'll probably see again in a couple of seasons with maybe a slight variation.
    I get where people are coming from when they say "what can you do with a Red Vee?", so maybe the club should have gone for change in the away shirt instead of (what seem to be an increasing trend with O'Neills) just copy the home shirt and change the colours.
    I was one of the many that bought the brown and light blue hooped heritage shirt a number of years back - why? - Because it was something different.
    It’s not as if the light blue/navy blue away shirt is a constant feature though. As far as I can remember we had it in 1984-5 and in 2005, and that’s it. You’re talking about a design that crops up once nearly every 20 years.

EDIT - I’ve remembered that there was a two-tone blue vee design in 2015, but it wasn’t the traditional look.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It’s not as if the light blue/navy blue away shirt is a constant feature though. As far as I can remember we had it in 1984-5 and in 2005, and that’s it. You’re talking about a design that crops up once nearly every 20 years.
    Recently, it's more often than you think

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Recently, it's more often than you think
    Fair play - although the 2006 kit was just the 2005 kit (back when we only changed one kit a year) and the 2020 kit was blue and white, wasn't it? 2015 had the navy and light blue but was a bit more of a modern take. I'd forgotten about 2008 though.

But still, I reckon since the original mid-80s kit we've had the straightforward 'classic' dark blue V on light blue twice - in 2005-6 and 2008.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Fair play - although the 2006 kit was just the 2005 kit (back when we only changed one kit a year) and the 2020 kit was blue and white, wasn't it? 2015 had the navy and light blue but was a bit more of a modern take. I'd forgotten about 2008 though.

But still, I reckon since the original mid-80s kit we've had the straightforward 'classic' dark blue V on light blue twice - in 2005-6 and 2008.
    We've changed both kits every year since before 2005. We didn't have the same away kit in 2005 and 2006.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    We've changed both kits every year since before 2005. We didn't have the same away kit in 2005 and 2006.
    You're quite right. 2006 was a dark blue shirt with a white vee. So to revise my last post, we've only had the classic dark blue vee on sky blue in 2005 and 2008 since the original 80s one.

Got A Season Ticket

You're quite right. 2006 was a dark blue shirt with a white vee. So to revise my last post, we've only had the classic dark blue vee on sky blue in 2005 and 2008 since the original 80s one.
    At a pinch, you could probably say that the 2015 was the same

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I don't know what people want sometimes.

For me, this is up there with the best home and away combinations of kits that we've ever had.

If you look at most football tops, especially home ones, they don't change much. Fans want to see their clubs in familiar designs, So for people to complain because we've brought out a traditional looking kit that looks like a traditional looking kit we had a few years ago is just crackers.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I like both kits.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I don't know what people want sometimes.

For me, this is up there with the best home and away combinations of kits that we've ever had.

If you look at most football tops, especially home ones, they don't change much. Fans want to see their clubs in familiar designs, So for people to complain because we've brought out a traditional looking kit that looks like a traditional looking kit we had a few years ago is just crackers.
    It's just a lazy effort from O'Neills as ever. They had a design template for our kits the year they first took us on and it hasn't changed. If you look at several aspects of the design, they never change. The collar for example, it's entirely identical to several kits we've already had. If someone had walked round town in that kit last week, I doubt anyone would have noticed it's new. My kids are all getting the away kit. Their reasons were 'I've already got the home kit haven't I?'.

It's the best home and away kit we've had under O'Neills, I'll agree with that. It's the kit they should have brought out when they first started making our shirts. But the fact that it's got a 'meh' reaction says everything you need to know about it. Hopefully O'Neills put a bit more effort into the training/leisure wear range this year. That is another area when both O'Neills and the club could make a killing. Good quality, well designed vest, shorts (with zips), training pants and hoodies would fly off the shelves quicker than they could make them. Every year you go in the club shop and it's a choice between the clubs own brand stuff, which makes your local market seem fancy and the O'Neills stuff which is all horrendous. There are amateur clubs with better training kits than we get.

Getting away from O'Neills to a Castore or Hummell would be a boon for us I feel. If we can't do that as we've signed up long term, at least getting them to refresh the base template they use every year would be good. We really need to think about a red band kit too.

Learning All The Songs

For those who are not happy with the effort gone into the (h) kit how about we play in red & white hoops.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I think there's been an overreaction to people's reactions to the new shirt tbh, can't anyone give an opinion thesedays. Either way it makes no difference what we say the kit is the kit may as well close thread if people are getting upset.

Learning All The Songs

As white shirts with a red vee go it's probably about as 'classic' and 'traditional' a design as you can get so on that basis I quite like it. Personally I'd have removed the red trims on the sleeves and collar too but that would have been even more 'boring' to some. The thicker vee lends itself better to the big Home Bargains block too which is pretty difficult to blend into any shirt which doesn't use horizontal stripes. And we were never going back to white with a red band for this and nor should we have - it's not remotely relevant to anything about either our current brand or the club as it was 150 years ago. Fine for retro jerseys or anniversaries of that particular design but little else at this point.

For the away kit I'd have liked a blue and chocolate kit in a nod to our original colours but the one they've gone with is a nice kit too. Personal preference I guess but 150 years seems like the time to do something like that.

o'neills have generally been pretty rubbish quality though and with the state of our current shirt sponsors (aesthetically I mean, nothing against the companies really), it's probably still a no from me. Hopefully there's some decent retro gear coming too though, I'd happily chuck them double the money for a proper high quality retro shirt or a sponsor-less version of the home shirt with an old-school collar.