Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 20 man squad v Leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Woolf has said both Matautia and Percy will be ok for the semis. Percy for next week.
    Fingers crossed on both. Mata'utia has been in great form and is starting to really fill the void left by Zeb Taia on that left hand side. It'd be a real blow to lose him and Bentley for the play offs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He got a niggly injury on his upper arm in the Hull game then he took a big knock on his arm (Stinger) off Chris HIA Hill, he seemed to have recovered around the Challenge Cup Final. We then had 2 cancelled Covid games so basically Alex got a rest to recover.

He made 25 carries tonight.
    Ahhh right. That certainly explains how he struggled earlier in the year. He’s been great this past 2 month. Last night he was a beast!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Don't know what anyone else thought but Tommy seemed to be carrying an injury last night. He was holding his arm by his side for quite a while, but was still running it in hard.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Don't know what anyone else thought but Tommy seemed to be carrying an injury last night. He was holding his arm by his side for quite a while, but was still running it in hard.
    He has been carrying that for what seems a while, dunno if it is his shoulder or arm.
    Tommy had that shoulder dislocation during the GF that he stayed on the pitch with as he says it went back in though he needed the big surgery after it during close season. He is a toughie alright, surprised Newman nearly got back to him last night, Regan showed him his heels in that last length of the field last year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    He has been carrying that for what seems a while, dunno if it is his shoulder or arm.
    Tommy had that shoulder dislocation during the GF that he stayed on the pitch with as he says it went back in though he needed the big surgery after it during close season. He is a toughie alright, surprised Newman nearly got back to him last night, Regan showed him his heels in that last length of the field last year.
    Newman is no slouch, but he had the angle on Tommy last night.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    What a riposte. Other than the PTB Walmsley was a one man front row. Exceptional performance from him.
    Batchelor starting to become a running SR. Other than momentum, next week doesn't really matter and none of the injuries looked too bad. Percy's face was a bit of a mess, I hope it is just bruising. I don't think I have ever seen such a young inexperienced HB paring gel together like thos two.I have been critical of Woolfs tactics first part of the season, but the last few games we have gradually opened up more and more. Roll on the play offs.
    We are more entertaining to watch and when the camera panned onto our injured players in the stands I just thought that no other team could do without them all.

In The South Stand

Surprised no one has mentioned how good Roby’s contribution was last night, seemed to be playing 3 positions last night, made some good runs with great ball distribution.
    Roby has been so good for so long that people take him for granted. He must be one of the greatest players of all time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Roby has been so good for so long that people take him for granted. He must be one of the greatest players of all time.
    Agreed

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

The Sky commentators get a lot of stick on here, and mostly rightly so. But I thought Carney raised an interesting point last night when he said that Saints hadn't quite put Leeds to the sword in the way that they might have. It's something I have noticed this year. We regularly get into the 30s but rarely these days push on into the 40s and never seem to give anyone the kind of thrashing we would hand out in the past. A bit like a batsman who regularly gets into the 70/80s but never seems to push on to the century even when the bowling is shot.

Of course usually it doesn't matter (as Clarke said last night, you can only win a game once) but I think really letting rip occasionally does increase the feelgood factor for fans (and maybe the team).

Maybe it's because we put so much into winning the game in the first quarter that we don't quite have enough left in the tank to go mad in the last? That strategy is working pretty well at the moment, but if we don't get that commanding lead in the first quarter (which could due to anything from the attack being a bit off, to dodgy reffing) it can cost us (see the Wire and Cas games) and it may have been a factor in the Catalan comeback.

Not trying to be controversial, just intrigued by the phenomenon and wondered if anyone else has noticed/has a view on it?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    The Sky commentators get a lot of stick on here, and mostly rightly so. But I thought Carney raised an interesting point last night when he said that Saints hadn't quite put Leeds to the sword in the way that they might have. It's something I have noticed this year. We regularly get into the 30s but rarely these days push on into the 40s and never seem to give anyone the kind of thrashing we would hand out in the past. A bit like a batsman who regularly gets into the 70/80s but never seems to push on to the century even when the bowling is shot.

Of course usually it doesn't matter (as Clarke said last night, you can only win a game once) but I think really letting rip occasionally does increase the feelgood factor for fans (and maybe the team).

Maybe it's because we put so much into winning the game in the first quarter that we don't quite have enough left in the tank to go mad in the last? That strategy is working pretty well at the moment, but if we don't get that commanding lead in the first quarter (which could due to anything from the attack being a bit off, to dodgy reffing) it can cost us (see the Wire and Cas games) and it may have been a factor in the Catalan comeback.

Not trying to be controversial, just intrigued by the phenomenon and wondered if anyone else has noticed/has a view on it?
    Fair points you make. We don't seem to have the killer streak in attack that we had under Millward / Holbrook when we let rip.

Although, I think the injuries and changes didn't help in the 2nd half. We seemed to lose intensity once Walmsley, Knowles and then Mata'utia came off and later on we lost Percy and Welsby too, so we just lost all rhythm with the ball and we're happy to just manage the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Fair points you make. We don't seem to have the killer streak in attack that we had under Millward / Holbrook when we let rip.

Although, I think the injuries and changes didn't help in the 2nd half. We seemed to lose intensity once Walmsley, Knowles and then Mata'utia came off and later on we lost Percy and Welsby too, so we just lost all rhythm with the ball and we're happy to just manage the game.
    Yes, I think the trend to saving most of your substitutions for the second half (which in our case has had a lot to do with blooding the likes of Dodd and Wingfield) does disrupt things, especially if you then get a couple of nocks. It does, however, seem to me that when everyone is enjoying themselves the ball tends to stick better (whoever you have on the field) than when you are 'managing' the game!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There were a few valid reasons for that, you would normally expect Agar to make Leeds respond at the start of the second half and they did just that. But after that we lost Welsby, Matautia and Percival and Makinson picked up 2 knocks (arm + leg) and played one prop, there was quite a lot of dissruption and organizing to do, I think Roby played half back. Once Welsby came back on we started to look OK and more threatening, for me the 6pts was more important than the 40 pts an indicator that we didn't switch off.

That’s the price he pays for consistency. A great player in any era.

Starting A Programme Collection

It looked like Roby went to 6 & Batchelor did a stint at prop with Knowles when he came back on. The disruption certainly hindered us 2nd half but we looked very comfortable. We appeared to go for a long period without much ball at that point & had to do a lot of tackling but never looked at all troubled.

What was great to see was the effort made at the end when they made the break on our right. Walmesley had no right to get back there & the speed that Grace showed really helped. That was a dead set try but we had enough spirit & hunger to deny them.
    Just hope Matau'taia is ok, it didn't look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    ….surprised Newman nearly got back to him last night, Regan showed him his heels in that last length of the field last year.
    It was Handley, not Newman, that chased Makinson.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Yes it was Handley and looked quicker, Newman was the best thing since sliced bread according to the SKY commentary last week. Last night he looked quite ordinary against a tough defence and got mauled at times.

Got A Season Ticket

There were a few valid reasons for that, you would normally expect Agar to make Leeds respond at the start of the second half and they did just that. But after that we lost Welsby, Matautia and Percival and Makinson picked up 2 knocks (arm + leg) and played one prop, there was quite a lot of dissruption and organizing to do, I think Roby played half back. Once Welsby came back on we started to look OK and more threatening, for me the 6pts was more important than the 40 pts an indicator that we didn't switch off.
    Agree with all of that (and with 2112) but I was raising a more general point. (Albeit perhaps not one of much interest to anyone but me and Brian Carney! )

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    He was also obstructed by Kendal .

In The South Stand

I agree with you and Carney to a point but wasn’t it 12 - 0 to us in the second half? A lot of teams would be happy with that margin after a full game against a play offs contender.

I agree with you and Carney to a point but wasn’t it 12 - 0 to us in the second half? A lot of teams would be happy with that margin after a full game against a play offs contender.
    Sorry Suttoner, wrong quote...
    I see what you're getting at but I think that last night was just down to injuries & disruption as much as anything. I reckon that Woolf has tried to get us to peak at this time and has been focussing on our defence which has aggravated many of us as our attack has been pretty poor. Whether it's the combination of Dodd & Welsby or just plans coming to fruition we will probably not know, but we have certainly been at a different level in the last few weeks. It may well be that Dodd & Welsby play less structured than Lomax, they definitely play what they see & have both shown excellent kicking.
    I am convinced that the Catalan defeat was a massive blow to our pride, Walmesley said as much in an interview.
    Rest Robes, Percy Makinson & Walmesley next week

Got A Season Ticket

Yes, and I agree with all the points that others have made about the specifics of last night. Carney's comment just prompted me to wonder about why we never seem to blow anyone away these days.

Learning All The Songs

Yes, and I agree with all the points that others have made about the specifics of last night. Carney's comment just prompted me to wonder about why we never seem to blow anyone away these days.
    I agree with your sentiment but I would say the last month we have played our best rugby of the season. I have been very critical of our style of play but there has been definite progress on that front. A lot obviously has to do with the form of our young half backs. I love tthe way young welsby creates space for the outside backs. He has a knack for being able to put the ball in a position where our centres running on to it at pace. Also he is not shy to get it wide to the outside backs early in the tackle count which is adding unpredictability to our attacks.

Last ten disappointing against Catalan but such complacency will not happen again.hopefully our injured back row heals by the playoffs and I think we will be in good shape.

[QUOTE=Suttoner;833226]He was also obstructed by Kendal .[/QUOTE
    Correct

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    I agree with your sentiment but I would say the last month we have played our best rugby of the season. I have been very critical of our style of play but there has been definite progress on that front. A lot obviously has to do with the form of our young half backs. I love tthe way young welsby creates space for the outside backs. He has a knack for being able to put the ball in a position where our centres running on to it at pace. Also he is not shy to get it wide to the outside backs early in the tackle count which is adding unpredictability to our attacks.

Last ten disappointing against Catalan but such complacency will not happen again.hopefully our injured back row heals by the playoffs and I think we will be in good shape.

I agree with that too. Welsby and Dodd have been a breath of fresh air and I have high hopes that we'll see the team playing with a lot more freedom next season.

Which team does blow the other away with 13 man defences.