Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: End Of Season Play Offs

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    The first was a disgrace. Hardaker is offside when French knocks on, the only thing he's doing is obstructing the hull player.
    Kendall has given a ridiculously one-sided performance tonight

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    I do not go in for any underhand or conspiracy theories but some of the decisions were odd, I wondered about the Hardaker one but thought he may have been trying to get back on side when pushed but the "headpat" decision reversal?
    Singleton tapped Regan on the back and clapped in his face, the same ref warned Singleton "do not do that" why did he not reverse the knock on into touch by Regan?
    Very strange decisions tonight, it did not affect the result but there was enough to raise an eyebrow.

Hull’s pack was non existent. Wigan didn’t have the same intensity as the previous couple of weeks but Hull barely got out of their own half. Kendall should be asked why it was ok for Wigan to yell in Grace’s face the other week but a similar episode tonight was an instant penalty - I think it should be but I’d like to hear his explanation of the difference

On the whole I didn’t see anything to be worried about. At somewhere near our best we would beat that easily

Learning All The Songs

Double post

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Hull’s pack was non existent. Wigan didn’t have the same intensity as the previous couple of weeks but Hull barely got out of their own half. Kendall should be asked why it was ok for Wigan to yell in Grace’s face the other week but a similar episode tonight was an instant penalty - I think it should be but I’d like to hear his explanation of the difference

On the whole I didn’t see anything to be worried about. At somewhere near our best we would beat that easily
    The difference was the fact that Wigan players went running in making an issue of it, for me that swayed his decision. This is were Saint's lack something with big game mentality.

When Lee's got clotheslined a fornight ago there was too many Saint's players standing around appealing to the ref rather than running in making a fuss.

Another night of inconsistency from the rugby league officials!

Wigan definitely got the rub of the green. Some poor stuff in D from Hull cost them, as well as some pretty poor mistakes.

Banned

I'm struggling to get any enthusiasm for these playoffs, or for the game in general.

Woeful refs, constant offsides, some teams allowed to constantly lay on at the tackle, stupifyingly boring 'arm wrestle' gameplay.

There's only Saints keeping even a shred of interest for me, and with our crap, one-dimensional tactics, even that's dissolving.

I can see why Sky viewing figures are down the toilet. Entertainment value is negligible for casual viewer.

Apart from the odd brief period of a team bucking the trend (Cas for a couple of seasons, us under JH, Wire on and off) the rule makers of this sport have destroyed it since allowing teams to slow the PTB and take a lax view of offside. But hey, at least it stopped us dominating in the late 00s.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I try not to criticise referees really but I think they’ve been poor this year. Maybe it’s because the majority of the games have been on TV but there seems to have been a real lack of consistency. The penalty given against Josh Griffin tonight could be given in most games every week really but it isn’t. Forward passes and offsides in particular seem to be ignored at least half the time but then out of nowhere they’ll give one. I don’t believe that they don’t see them, they just seem to give them when they want to.

The decisions around the six again are just so unpredictable.

In play off and knock out games though when teams are on edge and field position is so important, one decision can change the momentum of a game completely. It can take 10/15 minutes to recover from conceding a penalty easily. They’ve got to show more consistency because collectively their decision making is so unpredictable.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Wigan definitely got the rub of the green.
    You say that like it's unexpected. I think there's 3 sub-clauses written into refs' contracts:

1. If in doubt, give the decision wi*an's way.

2. wi*an get an extra 5 seconds to clear the ruck

3. Warrington are allowed to be offside at the ptb

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    The difference was the fact that Wigan players went running in making an issue of it, for me that swayed his decision. This is were Saint's lack something with big game mentality.

When Lee's got clotheslined a fornight ago there was too many Saint's players standing around appealing to the ref rather than running in making a fuss.
    Exactly this, too much sulking to the referee. Get stuck in, don't take a backward step, sick of watching friendly back patting players when its kicking off 5 metres away.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I do not go in for any underhand or conspiracy theories but some of the decisions were odd, I wondered about the Hardaker one but thought he may have been trying to get back on side when pushed but the "headpat" decision reversal?
    Singleton tapped Regan on the back and clapped in his face, the same ref warned Singleton "do not do that" why did he not reverse the knock on into touch by Regan?
    Very strange decisions tonight, it did not affect the result but there was enough to raise an eyebrow.
    Now now tiger lets not be small minded, your in danger of falling off the fence.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

As much as Kendall was abysmal tonight, my main complaint is how the hell did he get the game. This is a referee who missed 3 (at least) blatant offences in his previous game, which eventually resulted in 14 match bans. Talk about protecting players health. Oh I know, we'll reward him with a play off semi final.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs

I think tonight showed us how Wigan will play against us if we win tomorrow night. Have we got the nous anywhere within the team to challenge and break their defensive strategy?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    I think tonight showed us how Wigan will play against us if we win tomorrow night. Have we got the nous anywhere within the team to challenge and break their defensive strategy?
    Reluctantly, i don't think we have, it was a good all round performance by Wigan, they stood up to the physical stuff from Hull then answered it with tries

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Yes Wigan were good defensively but Hull still had scoring opportunities. Didn’t help that Hull’s 1, 6 & 7 played like they’ve never met before, the distribution from 9 was abysmal and Fonua was an absolute liability at centre in attack and defence. Add in to that all those loose carries and daft offload attempts and they played right into Wigan’s hands.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    Now now tiger lets not be small minded, your in danger of falling off the fence.
    Definitrly not on the fence.
    We did not lose all them GF`s because the RFL changed the rules . We did not lose the CC last year because of Hicks.
    We are not victims of a conspiracy against us.
    Some of the decisions by Kendall in the last few weeks are odd, as Roger Moore says why was he given the match after last week.
    Is he Thierry Alibert in disguise?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    As much as Kendall was abysmal tonight, my main complaint is how the hell did he get the game. This is a referee who missed 3 (at least) blatant offences in his previous game, which eventually resulted in 14 match bans. Talk about protecting players health. Oh I know, we'll reward him with a play off semi final.
    Said the same thing when I switched on and saw he was referee. Should have been dropped for his abysmal performance last week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

This is the point and it's down to tactics and execution I hope we find some.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Anyone else feeling a bit meh about tonight? I don't want us to lose but I certainly can't get excited about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Anyone else feeling a bit meh about tonight? I don't want us to lose but I certainly can't get excited about it either.
    I’ve been feeling like that about the games for a couple of months but I’m actually quite psyched up for this one.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    This is the point and it's down to tactics and execution I hope we find some.
    I hope we get past these tonight.
    Kicking along the ground to French & Burgess seems to be a better option than the high punt.

My wife asked me this morning “Would you rather lose tonight than win and lose the GF??”

She’s set this off in my head now!!!!!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I hope we get past these tonight.
    Kicking along the ground to French & Burgess seems to be a better option than the high punt.
    I'm sure we won't change our tried and trusted tactics, after all they've worked so well

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

I feel exactly like that - if we carry on with our dreary tactics I can see me turning off after 10 minutes, if we get there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm sure we won't change our tried and trusted tactics, after all they've worked so well
    That's what I'm thinking and part of me unfortunately wants Woolf shown up for what he is.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Its been a crazy season the last couple of months that could make people feel that way, but it's still a grand final with a champions tag on the end of it. The other side of the coin lose tonight and we become those semi final bottlers again which is just as bad.

If we get through OK tonight, we can expect the same type of game when we played the goons a couple of weeks ago, there isn't a Plan B, Plan C for it, we just have to match up and not lose concentration with errors on the back of it. Its takes a Good Team to win a Grand Final and a Great Team to win a back to back Grand Final, we must take the opportunity to become the latter.