Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Super League take over.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Are you trying to wind 'us' Bluenose's up Ralph ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Every Evertonian I have spoken to hardly give him a glowing reference
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Are you trying to wind 'us' Bluenose's up Ralph ??
    Hello Roy.

Honestly, no, I'm a Utd fan. Apologies if I have. Didn't mean to

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We need some proper professional management and people with know how to grow the game the NRL fits that bill. Our game is dead if we bring in another yorkshire club eg York or Featherstone of god forbid Bradford.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    We need some proper professional management and people with know how to grow the game the NRL fits that bill. Our game is dead if we bring in another yorkshire club eg York or Featherstone of god forbid Bradford.
    I don't think York is too bad an idea, a separate part of the country, but even their fans say they are not ready yet. Any west yorkshire team (possiblity expecting Halifax) will not match Widnes or Leigh in both on and off field crtieria so if it can't be a Lancs team then is shouldn't be a West Yorks team.

I would like it to be Touluose

BUT I am worried that it will be Bradford, maybe Gary has realised that no big neighbour rivaly has been detrimental to Leeds, and his atempted take over of all the West Yorks fans is impossible.

In The South Stand

Nothing shows how far Rugby League in this country has fallen like today's announcement from the Government about Covid support for sports affected by having no crowds. £330m handed out to various sports including RL and RU. 10 or so years ago the two sports were level in terms of TV deals, with our's if anything slightly edging it. Now their TV deal dwarfs ours and Union today got a payout of £135m in comparison to £12m handed out to Rugby League. Add in the £16m we got previously (I think) and it's £135m v £28m. That is the valuation of the impact on the sport. There will no doubt be a posh-boy in Government office adding to the bias and a North-South divide will always happen with a Conservative Government, but still it's a pretty shocking discrepancy.

Hopefully the RL people will get out and kick off about this and get some extra coin, but I doubt it. The RFL and Elstone are probably already working out what of Bradford's costs for re-entering Super League they can bill to that slush fund.

Give it 5 years and Rugby League in the UK will be semi professional with all but a few players working jobs alongside playing, possibly with no TV deal or a self-run internet based one. The flat cappers will be delighted "Rugby League is small and Northern and we need to remember that expansion doesn't work.... wah wah wah".

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    ... Union today got a payout of £135m in comparison to £12m handed out to Rugby League.
    Is that more to do with the relative number of clubs involved in each? I don't know much about RU, but I would assume there are more? 10x more?

Nothing shows how far Rugby League in this country has fallen like today's announcement from the Government about Covid support for sports affected by having no crowds. £330m handed out to various sports including RL and RU. 10 or so years ago the two sports were level in terms of TV deals, with our's if anything slightly edging it. Now their TV deal dwarfs ours and Union today got a payout of £135m in comparison to £12m handed out to Rugby League. Add in the £16m we got previously (I think) and it's £135m v £28m. That is the valuation of the impact on the sport. There will no doubt be a posh-boy in Government office adding to the bias and a North-South divide will always happen with a Conservative Government, but still it's a pretty shocking discrepancy.

Hopefully the RL people will get out and kick off about this and get some extra coin, but I doubt it. The RFL and Elstone are probably already working out what of Bradford's costs for re-entering Super League they can bill to that slush fund.

Give it 5 years and Rugby League in the UK will be semi professional with all but a few players working jobs alongside playing, possibly with no TV deal or a self-run internet based one. The flat cappers will be delighted "Rugby League is small and Northern and we need to remember that expansion doesn't work.... wah wah wah".
    Great post.

Regards the Expansion, I don't agree with how we try to do it. It has failed by & large. However, if it was done properly, then I'm all for it. Toulouse should be put into super league as it's clear they've got a decent, stable set up in place in a bit of a rugby league hotbed in south east France

But I think it will be Bradford

Learning All The Songs

Every Evertonian I have spoken to hardly gave him a glowing reference
    We had Tim Howard and Landon Donovan; two icons of US 'soccer' and yet it is only now we have decided to try and get a foothold over there.

Guy was - and appears to still be - absolutely useless.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Great post.

Regards the Expansion, I don't agree with how we try to do it. It has failed by & large. However, if it was done properly, then I'm all for it. Toulouse should be put into super league as it's clear they've got a decent, stable set up in place in a bit of a rugby league hotbed in south east France

But I think it will be Bradford
    I'm amazed that Bradford's name even comes up after their recent history. All we need is them back in SL and Fat Nige back running the RFL

Banned

Every Evertonian I have spoken to hardly gave him a glowing reference
    Put it this way, we'd have more likely signed David James than James Rodriguez if that prick was still there. I mentioned when he took over he was useless.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

The RFL were asked how much they required and gave the figure of 12m, which they were obviously happy with judging by a tweet I've seen..

The government haven't just decided who gets what.

For example another traditional middle to upper class sport cricket has received no extra funding.

On another note, it's part loan, part grant, so not a complete handout

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    The RFL were asked how much they required and gave the figure of 12m, which they were obviously happy with judging by a tweet I've seen..

For example another traditional middle to upper class sport cricket has received no extra funding.

The RFL being happy doesn't fill me with confidence. I highly doubt they have even done any research into how they could use the money. How much of it is a loan is a big thing. If it's 50:50 say, that's a £60m investment in Union we'll never get, easily bigger than our next TV deal.

We need the management teams of both the RFL and Super League to go. The sport HAS to change direction or we'll be semi-pro with a few teams gone completely by the new TV deal.

Learning All The Songs

It's for sports largely played in the winter, hence nothing for cricket

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    It's for sports largely played in the winter, hence nothing for cricket
    Which may explain why union has got a significantly bigger cut also

As you say, I think it's for winter sports

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

If its to replace crowd revenue, would it have been based on income in previous years less the matchday costs.

In The South Stand

On the radio this morning they were saying the majority of it is grant funding and it's a massive deal for Union that will elevate it at a time when other sports will struggle financially. I just hope we've not been screwed over here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm amazed that Bradford's name even comes up after their recent history. All we need is them back in SL and Fat Nige back running the RFL
    Bradford should be kept away from the sport until they've proved a minimum three years viability in the Championship, especially so since all the creditors that were burned by their financial failures. If I was one of them I'd be furious that they are even been considered and blackball any future involvement in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Bradford should be kept away from the sport until they've proved a minimum three years viability in the Championship, especially so since all the creditors that were burned by their financial failures. If I was one of them I'd be furious that they are even been considered and blackball any future involvement in the sport.
    If I was any of the other clubs applying I would be furious at Bradford being considered. Into administration 3 times in the past 10 years. I feel sorry for their fans, but currently Bradford do not belong in SL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

If I was any of the other clubs applying I would be furious at Bradford being considered. Into administration 3 times in the past 10 years. I feel sorry for their fans, but currently Bradford do not belong in SL.
    I'll be amazed if it isn't Toulouse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Has to be mate. They seemingly tick every box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Apart from them not bringing any fans, I think it should be Toulouse. The promotional video they put together was probably better than anything the RFL have ever put out. I know that they are going to show a polished view of it, but they seemed to have everything: Full time professional, reserves, juniors, surrounded by local amateur teams. A 20k modern stadium. local business backers, close to airports and highways. If they don't get in, will we be told why not?

Banned

Whilst Toulouse tick all the boxes it wouldn’t surprise me to see the yawkshire mafia push for Bradford or Featherstone.

Apart from them not bringing any fans, I think it should be Toulouse. The promotional video they put together was probably better than anything the RFL have ever put out. I know that they are going to show a polished view of it, but they seemed to have everything: Full time professional, reserves, juniors, surrounded by local amateur teams. A 20k modern stadium. local business backers, close to airports and highways. If they don't get in, will we be told why not?
    Suppose London don't really bring many fans either, if we want fans obviously Leigh are great for us.

York are probably a good balance for 'expansion' and supporters, it may just come a bit early in their development.

Featherstone are probably deserving too and seem a well run club.

As nice as it would for Bradford to return, they've a big history of being poorly run, and is odsal an image of modern rugby.

Personally I think Toulouse is worth the risk for the reasons mentioned above. Catalans may lose a bit of away travel, however it'll create a bit of interest in France, with a French match in super League

Suppose London don't really bring many fans either, if we want fans obviously Leigh are great for us.

York are probably a good balance for 'expansion' and supporters, it may just come a bit early in their development.

Featherstone are probably deserving too and seem a well run club.

As nice as it would for Bradford to return, they've a big history of being poorly run, and is odsal an image of modern rugby.

Personally I think Toulouse is worth the risk for the reasons mentioned above. Catalans may lose a bit of away travel, however it'll create a bit of interest in France, with a French match in super League
    Agree with your points. As Toulouse already full time professional with no central funding, and with the city being so much bigger than Perpignan, I wouldn't be surprised to see them surpass Cats within a few years. However I say that with no knowledge of their balance sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    We had Tim Howard and Landon Donovan; two icons of US 'soccer' and yet it is only now we have decided to try and get a foothold over there.

Guy was - and appears to still be - absolutely useless.
    This is really unfair on Joe Max Moore.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk