Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap

WARNING! PIE EATER!

And this from Salford.

Dear Salford Red Devils Supporter,

Firstly, I would like to start off by thanking you for the overwhelming display of loyalty we have seen during what has been an uncertain period for so many. Without doubt, this has been the most challenging period of my tenure but, because of your loyalty, the club has been able to survive when other businesses have not.

The last time I directly addressed you was near the start of this current crisis, when the season had just been suspended. While there have been far greater problems for many during that period, it has frustrated me that I have been unable to update you further since that point due to the uncertainty which has surrounded our competition and professional sport as a whole.

While details are yet to be confirmed, we are finally able to inform you of the likely timetable for the sport’s return. This is expected to take place in mid-August for a 30th November Grand Final, with players returning to group training a few weeks in advance of this.

I am sure this news comes as a relief for all of us. While there is still a significant wait remaining, we can see a light at the end of the tunnel and can look forward to enjoying the remainder of what was set to be an exciting campaign for our team. I am sure all of you who attended our last fixture were eagerly awaiting the next one, after that outstanding performance.

This return will come with its challenges, as I expect you will all appreciate. Supporters will not initially be allowed into stadiums and, from the moment the players come back for their “mini pre-season”, they will no longer be eligible for the Government’s furlough scheme. This means our main expenditure will be reintroduced, long before we are once again able to raise income through the turnstiles.

This disparity from our usual income already creates a significant financial problem, which is made even more severe by the increased running costs which will be introduced as a result of pandemic-related safety precautions.

Each club is currently bracing itself for a return to training and the reality that they may have to independently fund antigen testing, PPE and regular deep cleans, at a time when these are all in high demand. The estimated monthly cost for this equates to a player’s salary for an entire season, which is clearly a major issue for our club and certainly was not accounted for in the operating budget.

The length of time for which this will continue and the expected date for supporters to make a return to stadiums remains uncertain, although initial plans are targeting late September. At that alarming rate however, the impact on future playing budgets would quickly become catastrophic for a club that is already required to consistently punch above its weight via shrewd acquisitions and cost controls throughout.

Our capacity to make up this difference in budget will also be significantly hampered. The clearest example of this is through the immediate loss of matchday revenue opportunities, but the pandemic’s impact on the wider business community will also limit potential to engage sponsors for next season.

It is therefore essential that those of us who are already behind the club continue to be. I hope that is through physically supporting the team from the stands for as many of the remaining fixtures as possible, but we must face the reality that it is unlikely to be an option for some time. Failing this, we hope that all of you season ticket holders will still be able to enjoy the matches you expected to on television, or through streaming services and we are working hard to achieve this free of charge.

Once we have greater clarity on this, we will write to you once again with information on your options. I must ask though, that everyone continues to honour their commitment to the club, if at all possible, for this season and, in return, we will look to provide the best that we possibly can for our loyal supporters. With new financial burdens placed upon us, we cannot possibly take on further unanticipated economic losses. This would undo the hard work we have done to build in recent seasons and have a disastrous impact on our future both on and off the field.

Myself, DoR Ian Blease, and Coach Watson will make ourselves available for a LIVE RDTV Q&A at 6:30pm on Friday 3 July, in order to answer any burning questions you may have. In the interim, I hope my message is both honest and clear.

I appreciate it is a particularly difficult time for everyone, but if the club is to survive the pandemic, I would ask you please where possible:

• Complete your season ticket direct debits
    • Complete your sponsorship commitments
    • Join Squad Builder
    • Buy club lottery tickets
    • Buy virtual tickets etc. on virtual match days
    • Continue buying club merchandise

Should you have any questions on this, or would like to make submissions for the RDTV Q&A, please contact us at: equiries@salfordreddevils.net

Although much remains uncertain at the present time, we will try our best to provide answers wherever possible.

Reds are rising!
    Paul King

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    And this from Salford.

Firstly, I would like to start off by thanking you for the overwhelming display of loyalty we have seen during what has been an uncertain period for so many. Without doubt, this has been the most challenging period of my tenure but, because of your loyalty, the club has been able to survive when other businesses have not.

The last time I directly addressed you was near the start of this current crisis, when the season had just been suspended. While there have been far greater problems for many during that period, it has frustrated me that I have been unable to update you further since that point due to the uncertainty which has surrounded our competition and professional sport as a whole.

While details are yet to be confirmed, we are finally able to inform you of the likely timetable for the sport’s return. This is expected to take place in mid-August for a 30th November Grand Final, with players returning to group training a few weeks in advance of this.

I am sure this news comes as a relief for all of us. While there is still a significant wait remaining, we can see a light at the end of the tunnel and can look forward to enjoying the remainder of what was set to be an exciting campaign for our team. I am sure all of you who attended our last fixture were eagerly awaiting the next one, after that outstanding performance.

This return will come with its challenges, as I expect you will all appreciate. Supporters will not initially be allowed into stadiums and, from the moment the players come back for their “mini pre-season”, they will no longer be eligible for the Government’s furlough scheme. This means our main expenditure will be reintroduced, long before we are once again able to raise income through the turnstiles.

This disparity from our usual income already creates a significant financial problem, which is made even more severe by the increased running costs which will be introduced as a result of pandemic-related safety precautions.

Each club is currently bracing itself for a return to training and the reality that they may have to independently fund antigen testing, PPE and regular deep cleans, at a time when these are all in high demand. The estimated monthly cost for this equates to a player’s salary for an entire season, which is clearly a major issue for our club and certainly was not accounted for in the operating budget.

The length of time for which this will continue and the expected date for supporters to make a return to stadiums remains uncertain, although initial plans are targeting late September. At that alarming rate however, the impact on future playing budgets would quickly become catastrophic for a club that is already required to consistently punch above its weight via shrewd acquisitions and cost controls throughout.

Our capacity to make up this difference in budget will also be significantly hampered. The clearest example of this is through the immediate loss of matchday revenue opportunities, but the pandemic’s impact on the wider business community will also limit potential to engage sponsors for next season.

It is therefore essential that those of us who are already behind the club continue to be. I hope that is through physically supporting the team from the stands for as many of the remaining fixtures as possible, but we must face the reality that it is unlikely to be an option for some time. Failing this, we hope that all of you season ticket holders will still be able to enjoy the matches you expected to on television, or through streaming services and we are working hard to achieve this free of charge.

Once we have greater clarity on this, we will write to you once again with information on your options. I must ask though, that everyone continues to honour their commitment to the club, if at all possible, for this season and, in return, we will look to provide the best that we possibly can for our loyal supporters. With new financial burdens placed upon us, we cannot possibly take on further unanticipated economic losses. This would undo the hard work we have done to build in recent seasons and have a disastrous impact on our future both on and off the field.

Myself, DoR Ian Blease, and Coach Watson will make ourselves available for a LIVE RDTV Q&A at 6:30pm on Friday 3 July, in order to answer any burning questions you may have. In the interim, I hope my message is both honest and clear.

I appreciate it is a particularly difficult time for everyone, but if the club is to survive the pandemic, I would ask you please where possible:

• Join Squad Builder

Should you have any questions on this, or would like to make submissions for the RDTV Q&A, please contact us at: equiries@salfordreddevils.net

Although much remains uncertain at the present time, we will try our best to provide answers wherever possible.

Reds are rising!
    Paul King
    Interesting that he is suggesting that the club's games to be all streamed free of charge to season ticket holders until crowds allowed back in, let's hope Saints go that way as it will mitigate in a very small way the loss of benefits of a Season Ticket, I don't subscribe to the Saints channel and I personally don't think it's right to have to pay again if there is a suggestion that fans will have to pay to view their games

Banned

Taking a personal pragmatic view these are my thoughts. I have no choice but to pay a third rate provider in St Helens MBC my council tax. I do have a choice around the one thing in this town that continues to shine and gives me pleasure St Helens RFC.

To this end I either pretty much write off close to 400 pounds in exceptional circumstances beyond the clubs control or I potentially see my club and its asset sink. I will gladly write off that sum.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    You pretty much nail it. They started and Leeds have continued a process of infiltrating the small town clubs offering season tickets cheaper than the local club and free kids shirts. Caisley made Lindsay seem decent, him and double glazed Gary “what a pair”
    Leeds have never offerred free or discounted season tickets.
    As for double glazing, you know that Hetherington did that when he started up Sheffield Eagles to pay the club's bills. They did it so they could put the money they earned straight back into Rugby League. I'd like to see any of the people who criticise him come close to doing that.

Banned

Leeds destabilised Hunslet throughout the sixties causing them to fail. In recent years Ledds have attempted to utilise clubs as satellite clubs. The correlation between Hethrington and Caisley is arrogance and self serving. Plus we know who really puts money in and whose families take out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    And this from Salford.

• Join Squad Builder

Reds are rising!
    Paul King
    He makes a good case for how difficult it is, monthly cost of antigen testing equal to a player for a year, losing the furlough money as soon as players start training. Hope they make a go of it.

Got A Replica Shirt

Leeds destabilised Hunslet throughout the sixties causing them to fail. In recent years Ledds have attempted to utilise clubs as satellite clubs. The correlation between Hethrington and Caisley is arrogance and self serving. Plus we know who really puts money in and whose families take out.
    Nice conspiracy theory.
    I think Leeds United, slum clearance and the building of motorways right through the heart of Hunslet did more to "destabilise" them in the 60's than the actions of Leeds but you cling to it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Don't forget that although Bratfud were getting big crowds, their receipts were ridiculously small because most tickets were heavily discounted or free. It's a laudable tactic to whip up interest, but Bratfud kept it going for so long that when they tried to ease it back to bring revenue levels up, crowds began to diminish - especially as the on-field product had begun to decline.

Keighley began all the razzmatazz to make going the game more of an event and their crowds surged. Don't know how accurate this is, but the accusation is that once they were denied rightful promotion to the inaugural Super League, Caisley copied the blueprint for Bratfud and was able to offer SL rugby. A lot of Bratfud marketing and discounted/free tickets were targeted at areas where Keighley had been active in generating interest and fans.

As an aside, Keighley were denied promotion so that 4th-placed London could be promoted to SL (I've heard Sky wanted this, to expand national interest in the game). In the first SL season, us and the piescum were nip and tuck, and the ultimate difference was the piescum only drawing with London. I recall listening to the end of the game when out in my car and I think it was Terry Matterson kicked a touchline conversion near the end.

There was so much positivity and energy about the marketing in that early SL period, and the product on the field was exciting & vibrant. It's hard to fathom how we dropped the baton and slunk back into tired and poor marketing efforts and a wrestling-orientated, slow PTB borefest that the game became from around 2009/2010.

Banned

As an aside, Keighley were denied promotion so that 4th-placed London could be promoted to SL (I've heard Sky wanted this, to expand national interest in the game). In the first SL season, us and the piescum were nip and tuck, and the ultimate difference was the piescum only drawing with London. I recall listening to the end of the game when out in my car and I think it was Terry Matterson kicked a touchline conversion near the end.

There was so much positivity and energy about the marketing in that early SL period, and the product on the field was exciting & vibrant. It's hard to fathom how we dropped the baton and slunk back into tired and poor marketing efforts and a wrestling-orientated, slow PTB borefest that the game became from around 2009/2010.
    It's probably just sour grapes but it did feel like they started slowing the game when we were blowing teams away with pace and power.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    Leeds have never offerred free or discounted season tickets.
    As for double glazing, you know that Hetherington did that when he started up Sheffield Eagles to pay the club's bills. They did it so they could put the money they earned straight back into Rugby League. I'd like to see any of the people who criticise him come close to doing that.
    I think you are about the only person who rates Double Glazing Gaz, surely one of the modt smug, self-serving creatures to have walked this isle.

You should have a conversation with ROgues Gallery about Double Glazing Gaz; RG loves the guy.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I think you are about the only person who rates Double Glazing Gaz, surely one of the modt smug, self-serving creatures to have walked this isle.

You should have a conversation with ROgues Gallery about Double Glazing Gaz; RG loves the guy.
    I think the truth about Gary Hetherington lies somewhere between Ghost of 99’s view and me and a few others on this board. My take is that he looks after number one, be that Leeds or himself. If he had stayed at Sheffield then there is no way they would have ‘merged’ with Huddersfield, in fact they could well still be a top flight club. Gary has always put his club before the good of the game, which is his right. But to make him as some sort of Mr All thing good for rugby league is stretching the bow a Bit.

Banned

Gary,Kath and their bag man big Nige. Never have so few benefitted so much. The three Lancashire owners saw straight through it.

Gary,Kath and their bag man big Nige. Never have so few benefitted so much. The three Lancashire owners saw straight through it.
    But not fast enough to stop the rot.

Banned

Not an easy job though Belgian. The basket case clubs felt safe and secure with what was in place. Wood took some moving, in more ways than one.

Not an easy job though Belgian. The basket case clubs felt safe and secure with what was in place. Wood took some moving, in more ways than one.
    I'm sure you are right, and I wasn't having a go at you. I'm just annoyed that that cabal lead us to where we are today.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm sure you are right, and I wasn't having a go at you. I'm just annoyed that that cabal lead us to where we are today.
    Same here and it annoys me when people hold Hetherington up as some sort of Mr Rugby League.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Same here and it annoys me when people hold Hetherington up as some sort of Mr Rugby League.
    The facts don't lie - sure he's put his clubs first when needed, but show me anyone who owns a club who hasn't. But the way some people try to demonise him is bewildering and it's the sort of thing which basically goes unchallenged in lots of places, like here.
    There aren't many people who get involved with Rugby League for any reason other than that they love the game. Hetherington is no different but people just seem blind to the eye-opening on and off-field success he has brought to his clubs in his roles as founder, head coach, owner and chief executive.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of '99 View Post
    The facts don't lie - sure he's put his clubs first when needed, but show me anyone who owns a club who hasn't. But the way some people try to demonise him is bewildering and it's the sort of thing which basically goes unchallenged in lots of places, like here.
    There aren't many people who get involved with Rugby League for any reason other than that they love the game. Hetherington is no different but people just seem blind to the eye-opening on and off-field success he has brought to his clubs in his roles as founder, head coach, owner and chief executive.
    It appears we are both obsessed about this subject. I don’t doubt what he has achieved for his clubs nor that he loves Rugby League (so did Maurice Lyndsey). My issue is that I don’t agree with his vision of rugby league’s future. I think he is pursuing a big club/ farm club mentality, which is alien to the sporting psyche of this country. What he has done with Leeds is remarkable but Leeds are the major force in West Yorkshire and they shouldn’t need to use the lower league clubs as farm clubs they should accept independent rivals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It's probably just sour grapes but it did feel like they started slowing the game when we were blowing teams away with pace and power.

I tend to suspect the same thing. People talk of their hatred of runs from dummy half on the back of a quick PTB, and how we used to use it too often. But that was only ever a tool used to create disarray in the opposition defence - get them on the back foot and struggling to form a cohesive defensive line, then attack the holes with our pace. We had Cunningham and Higham who were experts at this in their own ways. With my more paranoid head on, I envisage the then Yaaarksher-controlled RFL and certain club chairmen seeing Roby emerge as a world class talent to continue our dominance in this department, and thinking 'FFS, we need to do something about this"

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Don't forget that although Bratfud were getting big crowds, their receipts were ridiculously small because most tickets were heavily discounted or free. It's a laudable tactic to whip up interest, but Bratfud kept it going for so long that when they tried to ease it back to bring revenue levels up, crowds began to diminish - especially as the on-field product had begun to decline.

Keighley began all the razzmatazz to make going the game more of an event and their crowds surged. Don't know how accurate this is, but the accusation is that once they were denied rightful promotion to the inaugural Super League, Caisley copied the blueprint for Bratfud and was able to offer SL rugby. A lot of Bratfud marketing and discounted/free tickets were targeted at areas where Keighley had been active in generating interest and fans.
    Further to your thoughts on Cougarmania, Keighley (or Keelee) have today achieved something of an unusual PR coup:
    https://twitter.com/Cougarmania/stat...884625408?s=20

*Disclaimer: this will make no sense to non-Netflix subscribers*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Further to your thoughts on Cougarmania, Keighley (or Keelee) have today achieved something of an unusual PR coup:

The Rolf Harris 'happy birthday' one is brilliant.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

How disappointing when she grabbed the bottom of her vest I thought it was going over her head.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    How disappointing when she grabbed the bottom of her vest I thought it was going over her head.

Given her age, she wouldn't have had to lift the vest up too far

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Given her age, she wouldn't have had to lift the vest up too far