Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jammer coming Home?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It’s interesting that his leadership is being cited as the reason we should sign him yet despite being a leader, Jon Wilkin was vilified for 4-5 years for his declining ability.
    I think John Wilkin was a different type of leader and had to become a pivotal player to link the forwards with the backs so he was open too criticism. Graham is an out and out prop forward and has very rarely had to play out of position, his leadership has never been questioned because of his 100% commitment in every game.

On John Wilkin I think the fans and that includes myself a disservice on the way he played for our club, watching all the classic games on SaintsTV its remarkable the amount of work and energy he put into the team especially those difficult latter years, a great player for our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    When was the last time Wilkin played prop in the NRL?
    He hasn't - point taken - but my point is that Graham is a leader and is still posting impressive stats in the toughest position in the toughest comp in the world.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Personally I never doubted Wilkin's ability when played in the correct position, but I did doubt his leadership. The number of times under KC when the opposition scored, and we were stood under our posts with JW looking at the ground used to annoy me. A leader would have been rallying his team. I thought he was a decent player but not a leader.
    Or laughing and joking with oppo' players, that used to really wind me up. I don't care if they're mates off the pitch.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

If he isn't on major money I think it would be a good deal for us until the end of 2021 for example. He isn't going to win a MoS in 2021 and he won't be our best forward, but he will be a valuable member of the leadership group in the squad and will be someone that the younger forwards look up to. Sometimes you need an old head around to be a role model to the younger lads, and he will still do a job in a comp that has very few ball playing forwards.

Also, and this can't be underestimated, Graham will get bums on seats when crowds are back properly in 2021. Bringing back an ex-great player that even young fans will remember isn't a bad move financially when the club will need every potential fan it can get through the turnstiles next season.

If he isn't on big bucks and can come on every weekend and put in two decent shifts, if he can be a leader in the dressing room, if he attracts more people to games, if he can represent us effectively on TV and give the game another 'face' that the media respect and wish to speak to, etc, then it's all good for me.

Learning All The Songs

Thirty five in September i can’t say im thrilled or even a bit excited about having him back. If he was a few years younger then it might be different, but he isn’t.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://www.totalrl.com/james-graham...helens-return/

Little bit more here. Also suggests the Tamou deal is off as we're not willing to pay what he wants. We've also been after another NRL prop but he's likely to stay at his club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Noooobie

Remember Adrian Morley being past it when coming home and he was still excellent at Warrington

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Short term deal and off the bench? With his experience and know how he could be an astute signing.Hopefully not on a big deal and could be a nice swan song.Not a big fan of players returning but I don't think he is quite done for Superleague level.
    Learned comment from The Don

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    He clocked 170m and 147m in his last 2 games so whilst he may not be the same player he was, he's still got some big performances in him.

His leadership and never say die attitude would be worth it alone to help develop some of our younger players. A great player and I'd love to see him back on a short term 18 month deal.
    Be careful about the metre gained stats. They are calculated differently in Aus than they are over here.
    I've watched most of the Aussie games and thought he did ok, not outstanding but solid.
    Good luck to the lad if he can get a decent salary for two or three years over here.

Noooobie

He’s not good enough for us going forward, certainly is past it.
    At 35 and having played in the toughest league in the world I wouldn’t have him given for £75k of our salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    170m is great and so is 147. More than Tamou I think but probably plays longer minutes.

Another thing to note is it’s another display of intention and backing from McManus.

We’ve been one of the hardest hit clubs due to covid, we could have took that money from the Thompson transfer and banked it, but no we’re Saints one of the most successful and well known rugby league clubs world wide and we will do our absolute best to sustain that. We’ve signed Joel Thompson who has been Manly’s players player for the past two seasons and now we’re signing one of rugby league’s greatest ever forwards in both super league and the NRL.

I mean I’m saying all this and he could sign for Castleford

Could do with 75k spending on your ground though.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Might work well for us if he returns on a 12 month "swan song" contract, we just need to cut down the number of game minutes to help his energy levels. The biggest attribute will be his leadership to the younger players, the determination will still be there which will be infectious to the team as a whole. His passing plays running at the line is something we are in very short supply at the moment.

If we still had Thompson and LMS for next season then Graham wouldn't be a good option but its possible we are struggling for replacements, would be great for Graham to finish his career to were it started. On retirement I think he could possibly go back to OZ to start his next chapter.

This was mentioned tonight on TV, he apparently hopes to do this before his kids start school-------in Australia. but who knows in 2 years time ????.

https://www.totalrl.com/james-graham...helens-return/

Little bit more here. Also suggests the Tamou deal is off as we're not willing to pay what he wants. We've also been after another NRL prop but he's likely to stay at his club.
    It all depends on the deal and the length for me. I worry we have gone for Jammer as Tamou is a non stater now. Watching him this season I have to say he looked jaded and quite poor. Now that could be to do with the situation at St George..But I think the new rule resetting the tackle count has found him out. He looked so slow and gassed quickly.
    Think we have the answer to why Saints have yet to Announce Joel Thompson officially. Assume a joint announcement. Also wonder if Jammer is a Rush signing or a Woolf signing as that could also have an impact.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Thanks for the memories Jammer, but stay in Oz and live the good life.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    75 roubles would be a big improvement.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Will do a good short term deal for us , and wont be moaning he's homesick after a couple of months , if he does come back will do for me , as good as the majority of props in superleague at the moment.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

His Wife might want to have a look around Britain for a couple of years as well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Pack for next year shaping up as follows:

Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Peyroux
    Thompson
    Knowles

Smith/Bentley
    Lees
    LMS/Ashworth/Amor/Paulo?

Could do with another prop. Doubts whether Ashworth will still be here plus Amor and LMS out of contract too.

Looking at that I think we’ll be glad of Graham’s experience, leadership and attitude in what could be a much changed pack.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Will do a good short term deal for us , and wont be moaning he's homesick after a couple of months , if he does come back will do for me , as good as the majority of props in superleague at the moment.
    Totally agree with you Roy.
    Although he doesn't have the same leg drive as he used to have, he gives his all. I had a closer look at his efforts against The Sharks in round 5 off the bench. One example, he made a great off load, then carried the ball up to a yard from the line with 3 defenders on him which opened things up for Dufty to score. If he is used wisely, his enthusiasm, experience, ball handling and leadership will serve Saints well as a short term solution for this season and to bring on the young bloods in the following season. Nostalgia plays a part for me as well and although that is heart ruling head, to see the 2 James’s playing together would be a great boost.
    I know in the long term that's not the answer but he could do a job for us!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Peyroux
    Thompson
    Knowles

Smith/Bentley
    Lees
    LMS/Ashworth/Amor/Paulo?

Could do with another prop. Doubts whether Ashworth will still be here plus Amor and LMS out of contract too.

Looking at that I think we’ll be glad of Graham’s experience, leadership and attitude in what could be a much changed pack.
    Hopefully were looking at a younger project type prop from SL or someone who can play at least 3 or 4 years for us. Quite a few of them in their 30s and mid 30s so looking at a much changed pack over the next couple of years. Replacing Roby especially will be critical if Smith doesn't kick on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Peyroux
    Thompson
    Knowles

Smith/Bentley
    Lees
    LMS/Ashworth/Amor/Paulo?

Definitely need another prop, Graham could be a good signing but only if he isn’t Thompson’s replacement for next season. Hopefully there’s an alternative to Tamou and the other prop who’s likely to stay at his club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Hopefully were looking at a younger project type prop from SL or someone who can play at least 3 or 4 years for us. Quite a few of them in their 30s and mid 30s so looking at a much changed pack over the next couple of years. Replacing Roby especially will be critical if Smith doesn't kick on.
    Agree on Smith. I like him but he needs to make that extra step up over the next 18 months or we’ll have to bring someone in. There’s also Eaves to consider too.

We’ve been ridiculously blessed at 9 over the years and almost taken the position for granted. We’ve basically had the best hooker in the comp every year for the last 25 years nearly (although I admit Clark has probably just about overtaken Roby now). We’ve brought 9s in but only ever to compliment/back up what we had such as Higham, Howarth, Lee. We’ve never had to go out and buy a 1st choice 9 during the Super League era which is ridiculous when you think about it. It’s going to be such a key position for us to sort out one way or the other.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Peyroux
    Thompson
    Knowles

Smith/Bentley
    Lees
    LMS/Ashworth/Amor/Paulo?

Don't rule out McMeeken?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Those who are talking about Watts as the best super league would have to offer us, even if he could be released from the last 3.5 years of his contract, consider whether it would be worth paying the decent money he would want for a player who is 30 in a couple of weeks and giving him a contract for the minimum 3 years he’d want.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    That doesn’t make any sense in the context of my original message.

We’re having a brand new stadium built anyway. Gosh...

I like graham as a bloke but many will find it amusing seeing Saints replace the worlds best prop with the worlds oldest. Indeed they’ll laugh at him shuffling along like he did on the granny dance drunken video taken of him all those years ago.

It’s a sign the Saints are falling away even more again.