Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Luke Thompson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

His logic is fascinating really...

If he was one of his team-mates who was worried about his future and wasn't moving to the NRL and didn't have a guaranteed bumper contract in 2021 and beyond he'd take the pay cut.

But because he knows that he has no future worries because he is moving to the NRL and does have a guaranteed bumper contract in 2021 and beyond he can't take a pay cut, and his only option is to ask to be released?

Hmmm

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It is an odd take. He had a guaranteed long term deal in Australia starting in 5 months time what is a paycut for a few months?? Clearly used the situation to his own advantage and made himself look a bit of a dick. It has left a slightly sour taste.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I think everyone wished him well when it was announced that he was leaving at the end of his contract to test himself in Australia and set himself up financially, but the way he has engineered this early move is shoddy, mean spirited, and disloyal to his former team mates and the club who nurtured him and afforded him the opportunity to maximise his career. Mr McManus has every right to call him out over it. Would it have been so hard to do the decent thing and play out a couple of months to the end of his contract, even if it was slightly reduced. Presumably now he has been sat on his backside for the last couple of months taking money off Saints and being paid on his full contract for doing nothing as he refused to accept a reduction and at the same time plotting to escape like a thief in the night. For me he will go down in history with Connolly (despite his protestations otherwise) and Eastmond. I will happily accept that my opinion is wrong if Saints give any sort of support to his explanation. Indeed I would like to be proved wrong
    Last edited by Woolyback; 17th June 2020 at 06:47.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

What only a few people actually know is how much a pay cut he was asked to take in comparison to other players. Saints could have offered him a very low salary for the rest of the season knowing that they could then get a much needed fee in these trying times. I'm not saying that is definitely the case but is it a possibility?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    What only a few people actually know is how much a pay cut he was asked to take in comparison to other players. Saints could have offered him a very low salary for the rest of the season knowing that they could then get a much needed fee in these trying times. I'm not saying that is definitely the case but is it a possibility?
    I very much doubt that McManus would play out that disrespectful scenario but if Lenagan was in charge then that would be a distinct possibility.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I think everyone wished him well when it was announced that he was leaving at the end of his contract to test himself in Australia and set himself up financially, but the way he has engineered this early move is shoddy, mean spirited, and disloyal to his former team mates and the club who nurtured him and afforded him the opportunity to maximise his career. Mr McManus has every right to call him out over it. Would it have been so hard to do the decent thing and play out a couple of months to the end of his contract, even if it was slightly reduced. Presumably now he has been sat on his backside for the last couple of months taking money off Saints and being paid on his full contract for doing nothing as he refused to accept a reduction and at the same time plotting to escape like a thief in the night. For me he will go down in history with Connolly (despite his protestations otherwise) and Eastmond. I will happily accept that my opinion is wrong if Saints give any sort of support to his explanation. Indeed I would like to be proved wrong
    He signed a contract which stated that Saints would pay him x amount in salary. If Saints needed to change those terms by reducing his pay, then that's their problem, not his. He was under no obligation to take a pay cut and if i was in his position i'd have refused it too.

People seem to forget that these athletes are disposable assets and are cut loose, transferred and released from their contracts by clubs when they're no longer needed. I don't hear people crying that clubs haven't been loyal to those players and treated them badly when they have to scratch around for a new club at short notice.

At the end of the day, Luke was an employee of the club and has moved to another organisation to further his career and earn more money. This is no different from Joe Bloggs moving from Tesco to Asda for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    He signed a contract which stated that Saints would pay him x amount in salary. If Saints needed to change those terms by reducing his pay, then that's their problem, not his. He was under no obligation to take a pay cut and if i was in his position i'd have refused it too.

People seem to forget that these athletes are disposable assets and are cut loose, transferred and released from their contracts by clubs when they're no longer needed. I don't hear people crying that clubs haven't been loyal to those players and treated them badly when they have to scratch around for a new club at short notice.

At the end of the day, Luke was an employee of the club and has moved to another organisation to further his career and earn more money. This is no different from Joe Bloggs moving from Tesco to Asda for the same reasons.
    Sorry but I just don’t see Saints as being as cold, clinical and unfeeling as that. I don’t reckon Thomson was viewed as a “ disposable asset”. He was one of our own, a home grown talent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Sorry but I just don’t see Saints as being as cold, clinical and unfeeling as that. I don’t reckon Thomson was viewed as a “ disposable asset”. He was one of our own, a home grown talent.
    Luke wasn't seen as a disposable asset because he's a good player....but what about the numerous players Saints have let go because they were no longer any use to them? I should know, I've been there and got the T-Shirt. But more relevant, Matty Smith being a good example, look how the club messed him around. More than once.

All i'm saying is, it's swings and round abouts.

It's business. Luke had a better offer somewhere else and engineered a way to move early. Fair enough, it happens every single day in every profession. People think different rules apply because the majority of us on here would give an arm to run out at LTP every other week.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Watching the NRL this morning looks like Thommo will wish he went elswhere.

Perhaps joining a poor team will make his Australian adventure taste a bit sour and he'll get disgruntled and want to come back to blighty after a year or two - especially if he struggles to make an impact. Given his contrite comments about the manner of his leaving, I don't think he bears any ill-will toward McManus, and he may on reflection feel a little obligated to pick Saints if he does return.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Can’t help feeling some on here are being rather harsh on the player. Would you take a pay cut if you didn’t have to? The club gets a transfer fee, his salary is off the books, (which could potentially allow the club to pay players the contractual amounts) it’s a win. I do think your chairman has come across rather less well than Luke in all honesty.

I think he reasoning is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints View Post
    Sorry Thommo we can't afford to pay all your contract this year we can't afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    OK fair enough, in that case you can sell me to the Bulldogs. You don't have to pay me and you get a wedge of cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints View Post
    Errm, well when we said we couldn't afford to pay you we didn't mean that...
    Thompson hasn't done anything wrong, if the pay reductions are anything but voluntary then Saints would be in breach of contract. Given that he is leaving then what incentive is there to accept less money.

I can understand Eamon getting upset, Lenegan has put half a million into Wigan and you expect that Eamon and co. will need to do the same. Eamon is not as wealthy as other backers. Guys like Moran (Wire) and Caddick (Leeds) are both worth over £100m, Eamons, I understand is in the single millions. He can't afford to just chuck a million quid into the club.

Getting money for Thompson and saving on his wages for what could well be a Mickey Mouse season is good business. It is a lot better than him having to dole out shares to someone like Koucash. However it is a shame Eamon couldn't just grit his teeth and wish Thompson all the best.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Can’t help feeling some on here are being rather harsh on the player. Would you take a pay cut if you didn’t have to? The club gets a transfer fee, his salary is off the books, (which could potentially allow the club to pay players the contractual amounts) it’s a win. I do think your chairman has come across rather less well than Luke in all honesty.
    McManus is in a bit of a tough situation here.

Fans will be rightly asking why have we allowed him to go mid season if the statement just wished him all the best. It would also put Saints in a position of weakness and will open up the door to future NRL clubs to think they can just come in and buy our players.

By coming out with what he's said he's criticised by some for throwing Thompson under the bus a bit, so it's not an easy situation to be in especially when the player has forced the hand of the club by using his NRL deal to force a transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I’m not going to give the figure but it wasn’t a big cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Perhaps joining a poor team will make his Australian adventure taste a bit sour and he'll get disgruntled and want to come back to blighty after a year or two - especially if he struggles to make an impact. Given his contrite comments about the manner of his leaving, I don't think he bears any ill-will toward McManus, and he may on reflection feel a little obligated to pick Saints if he does return.
    He's got one big job on his hands that's for sure. Canterbury fans seem to be thinking he is the messiah for them.

In reality, he's got to get back match fit & try to deal with every opposing forward trying to flatten him.

He's good enough but they're in a right state Canterbury. Tedesco was swatting the away like flies the other day
    Last edited by Ralph Fridge; 17th June 2020 at 13:08. Reason: SPG

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I’m not going to give the figure but it wasn’t a big cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok, thanks for that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think he reasoning is sound.

Thompson hasn't done anything wrong, if the pay reductions are anything but voluntary then Saints would be in breach of contract. Given that he is leaving then what incentive is there to accept less money.

I can understand Eamon getting upset, Lenegan has put half a million into Wigan and you expect that Eamon and co. will need to do the same. Eamon is not as wealthy as other backers. Guys like Moran (Wire) and Caddick (Leeds) are both worth over £100m, Eamons, I understand is in the single millions. He can't afford to just chuck a million quid into the club.

Getting money for Thompson and saving on his wages for what could well be a Mickey Mouse season is good business. It is a lot better than him having to dole out shares to someone like Koucash. However it is a shame Eamon couldn't just grit his teeth and wish Thompson all the best.
    I agree with you. I suppose with my background as a contractor it makes me a bit mercenary but I wouldn't be taking a pay cut unless I absolutely had to. Thommo didn't and I don't blame him for leaving, as hard as that is to take.

In The South Stand

Maybe he just didn't want to play for the new coach (looking at some of our performances under Mr Woolf, I don't think he's on his own, who wants to change a winning formula?). He may just have not wanted to waste his time "under new management" at Saints. I'm just putting the idea out there, but I do feel Woolf has lost the dressing room with his wrestling and ignoring the wingers tactics.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Maybe he just didn't want to play for the new coach (looking at some of our performances under Mr Woolf, I don't think he's on his own, who wants to change a winning formula?). He may just have not wanted to waste his time "under new management" at Saints. I'm just putting the idea out there, but I do feel Woolf has lost the dressing room with his wrestling and ignoring the wingers tactics.
    With the players we have had out is it any surprise the ball isn't getting out wide ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    With the players we have had out is it any surprise the ball isn't getting out wide ?
    Nonsense, that doesn't stop players shifting the ball wide, tactics do. The same as tactics that decide to play a LF at centre.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nonsense, that doesn't stop players shifting the ball wide, tactics do. The same as tactics that decide to play a LF at centre.
    Yes it does,Bently at hooker slowed stuff down,not bagging the kid here but when your dummy half takes more time to get the ball out then your expansive play is stunted. Also the inexperience at full back added to this.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

But sometimes you have to tailor your tactics dependent on who you have available. Just to play devils advocate if Woolf thought we couldn’t play expansively without Roby, Coote, Knowles, Percival etc then he would maybe keep it simple and play a more conservative style.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Yes it does,Bently at hooker slowed stuff down,not bagging the kid here but when your dummy half takes more time to get the ball out then your expansive play is stunted. Also the inexperience at full back added to this.
    I think you’ve got to credit the opposition as well sometimes. People say that Woolf doesn’t/didn’t need to change anything but particularly against Cas, every time Morgan Knowles got the ball and we were looking to shift wide, their centres were flying out the line to cut off the pass to both Fages and Lomax and forced us to play more direct. We’ve had the same players and have been playing the same way for a good two years, eventually you’ve got to make a couple of changes and adapt a bit which I’m hoping we’ll do. With a few minor tweaks and a fully fit squad I think our attack will improve.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think you’ve got to credit the opposition as well sometimes. People say that Woolf doesn’t/didn’t need to change anything but particularly against Cas, every time Morgan Knowles got the ball and we were looking to shift wide, their centres were flying out the line to cut off the pass to both Fages and Lomax and forced us to play more direct. We’ve had the same players and have been playing the same way for a good two years, eventually you’ve got to make a couple of changes and adapt a bit which I’m hoping we’ll do. With a few minor tweaks and a fully fit squad I think our attack will improve.
    Cas certainly did a number on us that night for sure.It was very much like the Catalan game in the cc when they dominated us. I like you think out attack will improve with everyone fit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    But sometimes you have to tailor your tactics dependent on who you have available. Just to play devils advocate if Woolf thought we couldn’t play expansively without Roby, Coote, Knowles, Percival etc then he would maybe keep it simple and play a more conservative style.
    I don't disagree with either of your points but either way, it's still tactical. IMO Woolfe made a mistake with his tactics and has been criticized as such.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I don't disagree with either of your points but either way, it's still tactical. IMO Woolfe made a mistake with his tactics and has been criticized as such.
    I’m probably in the “a bit concerned but not panicking” camp at the minute. I’ve not been overly impressed with anything I’ve seen from us this season apart from the opening game and the Sydney game. I don’t like all the faffing about at the play the ball and the obsession with the “wrestle.” I posted some stats earlier in the season which showed we were giving more penalties away as a result.

However, as far as the attack is concerned we have to accept there’s some mitigation in terms of the players we’ve had missing. I think I’m right in saying we haven’t had a full 17 yet this season and we’ve had anywhere between 3 and 6 players missing most weeks.

So yes I’m a bit concerned at the slow start and the poor results but I’m not overly worried (yet).

Edit: Just found my post after the Huddersfield game, #54 in this thread. I stand by everything I’ve said there at the moment:

http://forums.redvee.net/showthread....ht=#post787792
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I’m probably in the “a bit concerned but not panicking” camp at the minute. I’ve not been overly impressed with anything I’ve seen from us this season apart from the opening game and the Sydney game. I don’t like all the faffing about at the play the ball and the obsession with the “wrestle.” I posted some stats earlier in the season which showed we were giving more penalties away as a result.

However, as far as the attack is concerned we have to accept there’s some mitigation in terms of the players we’ve had missing. I think I’m right in saying we haven’t had a full 17 yet this season and we’ve had anywhere between 3 and 6 players missing most weeks.

So yes I’m a bit concerned at the slow start and the poor results but I’m not overly worried (yet).

Edit: Just found my post after the Huddersfield game, #54 in this thread. I stand by everything I’ve said there at the moment:

http://forums.redvee.net/showthread....ht=#post787792
    Yeah, I think I feel similar to be honest. As someone else said, this season can almost be written off and no one would be that bothered. I think the only team would would take it really seriously if they won it would be our Cheshire brethren. I obviously still want us to do well but would now accept a transition season as long as we recruited well and stopped with the style you mentioned.