Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    The 1966 team is probably the last team, because I was 16 then, that I last looked on as a bunch of heroes. Meanwhile, at West Park School, their coach (Joe Coan) was coaching RU.
    At the same time and age as you, Ray French coached me at Cowley

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    This was my initial thoughts.. Now I'm not sure it'd work going to Union, I mean given a choice of watching Saints play Union or not all I'd probably pick the latter, I don't think RL fans would go for it. If this goes on for months I can see all player contracts being terminated making them free agents, the best players could go to NRL or Union with the rest signing up for semi professional RL clubs. SL clubs and a few Championship clubs would be viable but many lower league clubs would end up amateur.
    It could be a chance to rebuild the sport from negative circumstances of course but necessary. Who knows what will happen but I can see far less Antipodeans being in SL after this. From a Sky point of view its all about the product on the field, go back and watch a game from 91-95 and judge for yourself whether that was more entertaining than now.
    Yes I think that’s right. It could be a chance to press the reset button

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    At the same time and age as you, Ray French coached me at Cowley
    I only transferred to West Park in the Sixth Form and previously had only played Rugby League at school. Nobody ever thought to explain the rules of Rugby Union to me and others who transferred even though we were expected to play it. I still don’t really understand it, which is why I prefer League. Even so modern Rugby League is a lot different to the game we played.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I only transferred to West Park in the Sixth Form and previously had only played Rugby League at school. Nobody ever thought to explain the rules of Rugby Union to me and others who transferred even though we were expected to play it. I still don’t really understand it, which is why I prefer League. Even so modern Rugby League is a lot different to the game we played.
    You're right. I played it and didn't need to know the rules because I was a prop, lol. All I was used to was playing rugby (league) on the circle in Sutton. It was rugby union or nothing at Cowley, not even soccer. Played West Park at school and at senior level a lot. Won't say how we did lol.

Got A Season Ticket

A genuine hybrid game i could handle, but kick and clap, hooray bloody Henry's "NO WAY", i would turn to grid iron.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    You're right. I played it and didn't need to know the rules because I was a prop, lol. All I was used to was playing rugby (league) on the circle in Sutton. It was rugby union or nothing at Cowley, not even soccer. Played West Park at school and at senior level a lot. Won't say how we did lol.
    I had a short spell at Pilks Recs then my mate said lets try a few Union games, we went to I think it was Fords of Liverpool Sports club for the Union games, one incidence the hooker broke through a tackle and was clear and I ran to him to support and wait for his pass he shouted at me to form a ruck with no one around, that was the last game of Union I played that day.