Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Player signings for next season

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    One of the darkest days in my memory of Saints, he was sold to pay for the legal costs of the Shelford debacle.
    I understand the legals saying we had a favourable winning case but if we had won, we would have had a player that did not want to play for us. So we went to court and lost a player that was outstanding for us. Totally bizarre and farcical !!

We should have just let him go

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    One of the darkest days in my memory of Saints, he was sold to pay for the legal costs of the Shelford debacle.
    I understand the legals saying we had a favourable winning case but if we had won, we would have had a player that did not want to play for us. So we went to court and lost a player that was outstanding for us. Totally bizarre and farcical !!
    Makes the Shaun Edwards debacle fade into obscurity.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Peyroux is top of the list for missed tackles at Saints. He is 16th in the league.
    In all of SL:
    2nd Matty Lees 635 tackles made, missed 106
    16th Dom Peyroux 645 tackles made, missed 83

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    In all of SL:
    2nd Matty Lees 635 tackles made, missed 106
    16th Dom Peyroux 645 tackles made, missed 83
    Completely missed Lees when I looked earlier!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Kyle Amor = Wakefield?? , not quite sure about this one received a text from a mate , not one of my usual providers.
    Last edited by roy litherland; 17th September 2019 at 23:25.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Kyle Amor = Wakefield?? , not quite sure about this one received a text from a mate , not one of my usual providers.
    Fits with what I was told, but there were few specifics with that. 'One of the forwards' leaving with a replacement already lined up and Richardson also departing. I'd be sad about the latter, I think there's a player in there.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Fits with what I was told, but there were few specifics with that. 'One of the forwards' leaving with a replacement already lined up and Richardson also departing. I'd be sad about the latter, I think there's a player in there.
    Richardson is still making lots of errors, wrong options on the last, missed tackles etc. But, he is still very young and he does have some natural looking skills.
    I know people that are more familiar with Lewis Dodd than me say that he is a better prospect, but he hasn't played first team yet. With Dodd still eligible for Academy, and the introduction of reserves, it seems a strange decision to let him go, unless it it a Cap issue or he wants out.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 18th September 2019 at 09:21.

Still undecided about Richardson but I'm surprised that we'd let him go with a new coach coming in. You would have thought that Woolf would want to have a close look at him at the very least

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Maybe Richardson just wants to play week in week out and hasn't had assurances from Saints that he would next year?

I'm unsure on Richardson, there is a decent player in there but I think after a promising start last season he really lost his way from about June / July time and he hasn't really recovered. He's had a few decent games this season, but he's also had some shockers too and his defending hasn't really improved at all. His decision making at times is terrible and we seem to be alot better with Fages there.

Maybe with Welsby already breaking through and Dodd potentially coming in next year, Saints feel comfortable letting him go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Richardson is still making lots of errors, wrong options on the last, missed tackles etc. But, he is still very young and he does have some natural looking skills.
    I know people that are more familiar with him than me say that Lewis Dodd is a better prospect, but he hasn't played first team yet. With Dodd still eligible for Academy,
    and the introduction of reserves, it seems a strange decision to let him go, unless it it a Cap issue or he wants out.
    I get the impression that some fans on here didn,t like his cockiness especially when he started to make errors, for me Richardson is a better player this season than the previous longer appearenced one. If Lewis Dodd gets a long run in the halves I have no doubt fans will gradually become critical when errors build up into his game.

For next season if Richardson leaves the club it wouldn’t surprise me to see Welsby with more games at Full Back and Coote playing in the halves especially if Lomax and Fages pick up injuries and we avoid Dodd being overexposed with too many games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Maybe Richardson just wants to play week in week out and hasn't had assurances from Saints that he would next year?

I'm unsure on Richardson, there is a decent player in there but I think after a promising start last season he really lost his way from about June / July time and he hasn't really recovered. He's had a few decent games this season, but he's also had some shockers too and his defending hasn't really improved at all. His decision making at times is terrible and we seem to be alot better with Fages there.

Maybe with Welsby already breaking through and Dodd potentially coming in next year, Saints feel comfortable letting him go?
    That seems to be the most likely senario in my mind.

Richardson is at the level where there’s bound to be a club or two willing to take a punt on him and give him assurances that he’ll be starting as their no. 1 half back. That is likely to seem a tempting proposition to him, I would have thought. I don’t reckon the club would be desperate to get rid, but if another club comes in offering cash and Danny wants to go then it doesn’t make much sense holding on to him IMO.

Banned

I think Richardson will come back to haunt us. He's got flaws in his game at this stage in his development for sure, but he's the most naturally skilled scrum half I've seen come through the ranks here. He's way behind the overall package at this stage, but there's aspects of his game that remind me of Long and, once he's developed, I think he will be one of the best SH's in SL.

The problem we have is that he is still learning the finer aspects of the game. With Long, he had explosive pace and vision for a gap, so his game was based more on this skillset whilst he cultivated that ball-playing vision which elevated him into the best scrum half of his generation (Eastwood was even more explosive, but was probably behind even 'fledgling Long' in terms of ball-playing ability & vision). Richardson, whilst not being short of pace and not without decent vision, doesn't have that extra something to keep him in the team as he develops his game, and it's a difficult call to indulge young players learning their trade in such a vital position if we are to be the dominant team going forwards.

It's a pity, but if Saints aren't going to stick with him, then he would be better served to move and develop at a club in that tier below within SL. I actually think Cas could be very good for him. Remember that both Brough and Gale only really began to be considered good players once they hit their mid-20's.

Trouble is, I'm not convinced Fages offers enough, either. I've been a great supporter of his since he arrived, when many were rubbishing him. But he doesn't have the ball-playing potential that Richardson does and, whilst his defence is top notch, he too often drifts in and out of games.

The ideal would be some sort of hybrid of Fages & Richardson, taking the best bits of each (like the 80's movie 'Twins', there'd could be a second player made up of all the crap bits. Maybe call him Richie Myler or something)

In The South Stand

I think the new coach should decide who he does and doesn't want , he might want to look at all the players even Richardson.

Got A Season Ticket

With Richardson, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    He needs the game time to hone his skills, but unlike Knowles, Lees, Ashworth, etc in today's game you can't afford to have a back taking up a bench spot where you can spell him for short periods to bring him along.
    I don't think that dual reg/reserves is the best solution either as he'd be playing well below the level he needs to aspire to.
    From where I'm sitting, we've either got to take the gamble and play him consistently or get rid, either way, it may come back to haunt us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Last edited by paulscnthorpe; 18th September 2019 at 18:07. Reason: See you've already been corrected - apologies

In The West Stand

So that’s;

Richardson to Cas (for a fee)
    Amor to Leeds (for a fee)
    Paulo to Gold Coast

I’ve seen rumoured today, after a very very quiet transfer market throughout the season.

Is Woolf wanting to bring some new blood in to shape the team? We still don’t seem to be active bring players in?

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Where did the Amor to Wakefield or Leeds rumours come from, because he’s played for both clubs before? The forward leaving Saints is Luke Douglas with our other quota player Ryan Morgan.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    So that’s;

Richardson to Cas (for a fee)
    Amor to Leeds (for a fee)
    Paulo to Gold Coast

I’ve seen rumoured today, after a very very quiet transfer market throughout the season.

Is Woolf wanting to bring some new blood in to shape the team? We still don’t seem to be active bring players in?
    Wiuldnt be disappointed with the last one and use a chunk of his salary to keep Thompson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

would prefer Danny to go out on loan for a year if possible.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    would prefer Danny to go out on loan for a year if possible.
    Me too. Gives you security if he starts tearing it up to bring him back or let him go if he doesn't improve.

I just have a feeling he could really move on at cas and come back to haunt us. As good as fages is, he's no scrum half. A Jackson Hastings in our team, we'd have the complete team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Me too. Gives you security if he starts tearing it up to bring him back or let him go if he doesn't improve.

I just have a feeling he could really move on at cas and come back to haunt us. As good as fages is, he's no scrum half. A Jackson Hastings in our team, we'd have the complete team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I agree but Jackson Hastings is light years ahead of Richardson, he’s 100x the player.

Banned

How much say or influence do you think the new coach will have / had on these decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Where did the Amor to Wakefield or Leeds rumours come from, because he’s played for both clubs before? The forward leaving Saints is Luke Douglas with our other quota player Ryan Morgan.
    I mean, yes Douglas and Morgan are the only confirmed leavers, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only ones? I’m sure Woolf has his own ideas on who he wants in his team and may have asked the club to free up space to be able to bring a player or two in himself?

Both Leeds and Wakefield are looking for a prop and whilst Amors done well to battle himself back in to contention from the outer at the start of the year, hes in a mirade of LMS, Lees and Ashworth fighting it out for the 3rd/4th prop spots - something his salary probably suggests should be more clear cut than it is.

Vete and a marquee half would probably fit in the cap gap created from Amor, Paulo and Richardson leaving I’d guess?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I mean, yes Douglas and Morgan are the only confirmed leavers, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only ones? I’m sure Woolf has his own ideas on who he wants in his team and may have asked the club to free up space to be able to bring a player or two in himself?

Both Leeds and Wakefield are looking for a prop and whilst Amors done well to battle himself back in to contention from the outer at the start of the year, hes in a mirade of LMS, Lees and Ashworth fighting it out for the 3rd/4th prop spots - something his salary probably suggests should be more clear cut than it is.

Vete and a marquee half would probably fit in the cap gap created from Amor, Paulo and Richardson leaving I’d guess?
    How long was Paulo's contract?