Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Relegation

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Hopefully one of Wakefield or Huddersfield go down. Two pointless clubs with terrible stadiums for different reasons.
    London’s ground is little better than Ruskin. Crowds of less than 1,500. No away support. Plastic pitch. As much as I admire what they’ve done and achieved I can’t help thinking that despite their negative points, Huddersfield and Wakefield offer Super League more.

Banned

I think Ralph is a bit younger than me. I do remember Huddersfield being as much of a rugby town as a football one. Fartown was pretty impressive in the late sixties then it wen t down hill very quickly until in the eighties it was basically game over.

Fair play to Huddersfield council they ensured by then a basket case RL club still had a 15% stake in the new stadium. I hope HKR go down similar to Wire scum fans.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    London’s ground is little better than Ruskin. Crowds of less than 1,500. No away support. Plastic pitch. As much as I admire what they’ve done and achieved I can’t help thinking that despite their negative points, Huddersfield and Wakefield offer Super League more.
    See you don't note that the last match against Leeds Rhinos was 3.500 plus! there were as many at Wakefield who travelled from London as some much longer established clubs take to away games these days, Huddersfield for one! London needs a Super League Club, the amateur and school game is now more successful than many places in The North, they do not have debts thanks to David Hughes, who even cancelled retirement from his flying job in oil sales to continue backing the club. Yes they need their own ground, but London is difficult with land prices. I wrote a document with the late Peter Deakin way back when he was at Bradford Bulls, at that point the RFL should have bought land when it was much cheaper, made it a centre of excellence and had a London RFL HQ & Press Office there, with plastic pitches just starting the ground could have been used 7 days a week, had amateur cup finals there and school finals, it would have been a much better investment than Odsal at the time.

As you do credit the London Club have and are succeeding with their youth teams, The Academy is doing so well this season, but already one forward is being looked at by two NRL clubs and Wigan, even at such a young age, how many players have been taken from London to the North, it is easy to name a Super League side with London players. Next Friday I hope they do win! what a tough match it will be, especially with some London players joining clubs next season who may get relegated! Given a chance, being able to hold on to players London can do well, but now they need a real major owner, Mr Hughes like the Huddersfield owner are both getting no younger. Pity help us as a sport if we lose Sky money!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Jaybs, that's an excellent post. I was at the Wigan v London academy game yesterday and although Wigan won comfortably in the end the scoreline flattered them. London actually led 12 - 6 at halftime and have some really promising athletic players. #5 and #6 were outstanding. KP-P #11 is coming to Wigan next season and as you say was wanted by at least one Aussie club that I know of.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Really hoping London stay up. Huddersfield haven't offered anything for years, I personally don't care for either of the Hull sides and wouldn't mind an end to the "big city derby", plus it means that to**er Joel Tomkins (why wasn't he red carded for the punch he threw which connected with the head of the London player, clear as day?) is either relegated or looking for a new club, and Wakey are always short staffed and seem to survive most seasons by the skin of their teeth.
    Hopefully HKR for me for exactly the same reason.... Tosser Tompkins
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A bit condescending.
    That wasn't my intention Belgian.

Was just giving my praise for his performance and skill set some context- there are quite a few halves/pivots playing regularly in the NRL who are the same age as Lamb or younger.

I do think he was really good the other night and as I say, interested to see what happens to him next year. Could he join his dad at Wigan?

Also depending on who gets relegated, there's quite a few strong performers who could become available. From Wakefield and Huddersfield especially.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    That wasn't my intention Belgian.

Was just giving my praise for his performance and skill set some context- there are quite a few halves/pivots playing regularly in the NRL who are the same age as Lamb or younger.

I do think he was really good the other night and as I say, interested to see what happens to him next year. Could he join his dad at Wigan?

Also depending on who gets relegated, there's quite a few strong performers who could become available. From Wakefield and Huddersfield especially.

Regards,

STEVO
    I was just having a dig because that comment was not normal from you.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 8th September 2019 at 17:48. Reason: typo

Got A Season Ticket

All super league games moved to Friday ,
    Huddersfield Giants
    19:45
    Catalans Dragons,
    Hull FC
    St Helens ,
    Leeds Rhinos
    Warrington Wolves ,
    Salford Red Devils
    Hull K R ,
    Wakefield Trinity
    London Broncos .

WARNING! PIE EATER!

All the games should have been played on Friday with the same kick off time. One should have been selected for Sky with the others as an option on the red button.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    All the games should have been played on Friday with the same kick off time. One should have been selected for Sky with the others as an option on the red button.
    I think that would clash with the underwater chess they’re probably showing

Banned

I noticed you lot whinging about it on Facebook earlier. How very dare they!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Completely agree, to have one game on a Thursday and the others on a Friday with league positions at stake is ridiculous.

To also move 3 games at less than a weeks notice is terrible for the supporters involved and will impact the crowds.

The games should all be on a Friday at 7.45 and s big deal should be made of it like they do in football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket UhAhGeorgie Mann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    See you don't note that the last match against Leeds Rhinos was 3.500 plus! there were as many at Wakefield who travelled from London as some much longer established clubs take to away games these days, Huddersfield for one! London needs a Super League Club, the amateur and school game is now more successful than many places in The North, they do not have debts thanks to David Hughes, who even cancelled retirement from his flying job in oil sales to continue backing the club. Yes they need their own ground, but London is difficult with land prices. I wrote a document with the late Peter Deakin way back when he was at Bradford Bulls, at that point the RFL should have bought land when it was much cheaper, made it a centre of excellence and had a London RFL HQ & Press Office there, with plastic pitches just starting the ground could have been used 7 days a week, had amateur cup finals there and school finals, it would have been a much better investment than Odsal at the time.

As you do credit the London Club have and are succeeding with their youth teams, The Academy is doing so well this season, but already one forward is being looked at by two NRL clubs and Wigan, even at such a young age, how many players have been taken from London to the North, it is easy to name a Super League side with London players. Next Friday I hope they do win! what a tough match it will be, especially with some London players joining clubs next season who may get relegated! Given a chance, being able to hold on to players London can do well, but now they need a real major owner, Mr Hughes like the Huddersfield owner are both getting no younger. Pity help us as a sport if we lose Sky money!
    I'd forgotten all about that. Jordan Abdul has signed for KR hasn't he? Puts him in a wierd situation next week. He's fairly pivotal for London. He'll be going into the Wakey game knowing that chances are if they win he'll be playing in the championship next season as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Always hated HKR. Just never found it a nice place to visit be it the original ground or the new place. I wouldn't be overly gutted to see them down again.
    That said at least they can pull a crowd and take a decent following.
    Huddersfield are a basket case. A few years ago they had a really good side, got pipped for the league leaders but still no bugger turns up. Feel sorry for Ken Davy ploughed a fortune in and nobody interested.
    Wakefield have blagged it for years claiming a new ground in the offing it's never going to happen, absolute shit tip. Half decent side but again nobody watching them.
    Clearly London don't benefit other clubs much with away travel but the presence does add some credibility to the competition and create some media interest. Good away day too!
    On balance Huddersfield are the weakest link and I hope it's goodbye to them. Plus we get rid of the tw** with the cowbell.
    So two birds with one stone (cowbell) Nice one.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by UhAhGeorgie Mann View Post
    I'd forgotten all about that. Jordan Abdul has signed for KR hasn't he? Puts him in a wierd situation next week. He's fairly pivotal for London. He'll be going into the Wakey game knowing that chances are if they win he'll be playing in the championship next season as a result.
    Couple of London players heading to Wakefield as well, but I would expect none of them to give less than 100%, that seems to be how they are as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by UhAhGeorgie Mann View Post
    Given that Abdull has been instrumental in London beating Hull KR twice since he signed a contract with KR, I can’t see that he’ll do anything less than try to end on the winning side this weekend. If he succeeds, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see London re-sign him for next year.

For me the interesting point is that all teams have their fate in their own hands.

The winner of Wakefield vs London will stay up and Huddersfield and HKR are safe if they win because they will be higher than the loser of the first game.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Default Relegation

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    For me the interesting point is that all teams have their fate in their own hands.

The winner of Wakefield vs London will stay up and Huddersfield and HKR are safe if they win because they will be higher than the loser of the first game.
    Don’t London have a considerably worse points difference, though? In which case they could win and still go down?

EDIT: just looked at the table and realised that’s nonsense. It’s only the two losing teams for whom points difference will matter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Can you imagine a golden point game between Wakey and London wouldn't mind seeing that.
    Learned comment from The Don

Friday 13th? I hope none of the teams are triskaidekaphobiac.

Banned

Just a pity Leeds aren't in the frame. Would love those jammy tw*ts to go down.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I think it will be Hull KR who go down.

Salford won't mess up their playoff run
    Catalan have packed up weeks ago
    London will be more up for it than wakey who are safe barring wins for all other 3 teams.

Personally I think Hull KR going down is a bigger loss to the league as they have a larger fan base than the other 3 put together.
    London need to grow to be add value to the league, location is not enough.
    Huddersfield probably have more potential than Wakey, who do not seem to be developing off the field at any rate.

So if it was a corporate contest I would relegate Wakey, giving the sporting context then I would prefer London to go down as I feel they bring less to the party.
    But I still think it will be Hull KR.

Banned

Gutted London are relegated.

Having a presence in the capital benefits our sport, whereas the lihes of Huddersfield & Wakefield just plod along doing nothing but be happy to keep pocketing the TV money. Do they even bother to run Academy sides any more? The growth in participation in the London area and the players they bring through is amazing.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Having a presence in the capital benefits our sport, whereas the lihes of Huddersfield & Wakefield just plod along doing nothing but be happy to keep pocketing the TV money. Do they even bother to run Academy sides any more? The growth in participation in the London area and the players they bring through is amazing.
    Time to go to a 14 team Super League. 26 weekly rounds plus magic weekend. Top seven playoff. Bottom 4 playoffs to see one team relegated

Frankly I would prefer a 16 team Super League with no playoffs. 30 weekly rounds. Top of the league are champions bottom team is relegated but there is no chance of that

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

It's ironic now there are a lot of good young players being produced in the south they lose there super league presence down there