Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131929 ... LastLast

Thread: All quiet on the Justin front.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Because nobody likes to break bad news and they are trying to wait till a good time to announce it. Maybe they did not want to announce it before the Wigan game for example.
    They will want everything sorted out at the same time too, as they did when Barba left and they announced Coote signing at the same time.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

It would take a pretty bad coach to undo what the club has done right over the past 2 years. I honestly don’t think we’ve changed massively on the field under Holbrook. But the culture at the club and fan interaction has changed and that is good to see. That won’t change now no matter who comes in.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    It would take a pretty bad coach to undo what the club has done right over the past 2 years. I honestly don’t think we’ve changed massively on the field under Holbrook. But the culture at the club and fan interaction has changed and that is good to see. That won’t change now no matter who comes in.
    Oh I wouldn't bank on that.
    Its surprising how quickly a team can lose confidence.

It's very fine margins between success and failure on sport.

Banned

That interview he gave Alan Rooney on radio Merseyside didn't fill me with confidence he's going to be staying

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post

100% agree.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

If any new coach can ruin this team then we have a serious problem of player power at the club.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That interview he gave Alan Rooney on radio Merseyside didn't fill me with confidence he's going to be staying
    I missed that Webbo - what did he say?

Learning All The Songs

Yes Infamous.
    Most coaches know what is needed for success within clubs, why do so many fail ?
    We have a coach who is and has been a perfect fit for us, things can change in hours with the wrong head man.

Got A Season Ticket

Is Shaun Wane happy in rugby union?
    Season Ticket not being renewed for 2020, if this happens.

If any new coach can ruin this team then we have a serious problem of player power at the club.
    Its not so much players its tactics, training methods, fitness routines etc. Remember a significant amount of these players were no where near playing at their full potential under Cunningham.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    I missed that Webbo - what did he say?
    This is the full 1 hour programme, jump to 24.30 for the interview. There's definitely something amiss, and Holbrook says he doesn't like being in this situation, that he's leaving it to his management, and he thinks it'll all be sorted in the next couple of weeks. Alan Rooney tries to pin him down about staying at Saints, but Holbrook swerves giving a clear answer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07dfzdc

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    This is the full 1 hour programme, jump to 24.30 for the interview. There's definitely something amiss, and Holbrook says he doesn't like being in this situation, that he's leaving it to his management, and he thinks it'll all be sorted in the next couple of weeks. Alan Rooney tries to pin him down about staying at Saints, but Holbrook swerves giving a clear answer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07dfzdc
    Thanks. For the first time he sounded very downbeat so I am not sure what to make of that. I guess we should hang on to the bit where he says nothing has changed in terms of his desire to stay but I'd agree it's far from convincing that he is going to.

I could still strangle Alan Rooney.

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Thanks. For the first time he sounded very downbeat so I am not sure what to make of that. I guess we should hang on to the bit where he says nothing has changed in terms of his desire to stay but I'd agree it's far from convincing that he is going to.

I could still strangle Alan Rooney.
    I've been watching his body language a lot in interviews lately and he seems a bit more edgy and distracted than usual and not his engaging self. You can't blame him being torn if there's a big offer on the table back home. However, from discussions with a few people that know him, his family especially his twin lads, are really enjoying it here. That's priceless.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Two of his lads are at Liverpool Academy and are apparently very good footballers. Obviously they’ll miss out if he goes back as they don’t have anywhere near the same standard of clubs back in Aus.

My understanding is that it will all be sorted by the 1st August. Looking very likely he’ll be going to the Bulldogs but I guess anything can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Two of his lads are at Liverpool Academy and are apparently very good footballers. Obviously they’ll miss out if he goes back as they don’t have anywhere near the same standard of clubs back in Aus.

My understanding is that it will all be sorted by the 1st August. Looking very likely he’ll be going to the Bulldogs but I guess anything can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seems inevitable now sadly.

The early talk in April / May was that he was hopeful a deal would be sorted within a few weeks. The more the weeks have passed without a deal being signed the more likely his head has been turned and he's been lured by the NRL. It'll be sad if he goes but lets hope he leaves with a CC trophy win and GF ring which he would deserve. His coaching record is incredible, I bet his win percentage is over 70%.

If he does go he'll have left us in a good position with a strong squad so whoever gets the job has plenty to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    The difference between 2nd and 3rd link is startling. Seems like the fat lady might be waiting in the wings.

Got A Season Ticket

Listening to him on the radio last night he was flat...mono toned and barely audible. We just need to accept it ... shame that its all changed 360 in a few weeks though.

Sounds like he’s been offered a job he can’t really refuse but doesn’t really want to go.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Sounds like he’s been offered a job he can’t really refuse but doesn’t really want to go.

Didn't know his lads were at the Liverpool Academy. He could be really torn between staying here for the sake of his family, or following his coaching ambitions with a plum job in the NRL.

What that Ripley bloke has said on here does make perfect sense - a season shadowing Pay then take over fully the following season, and probably working on recruitment for the 2021 season during that time.

It is a shame but it would be much better if it all got sorted & announced. I doubt one supporter will begrudge him going back to Australia. Just don't want the team dynamic to suffer

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post

Looks like all his talk of extending his contract with us was bullshit. It’s obvious he wants to reach the top and we were just a stepping stone. He has put our club on a sound footing for the future and now moves on. Just another job perhaps.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Looks like all his talk of extending his contract with us was bullshit. It’s obvious he wants to reach the top and we were just a stepping stone. He has put our club on a sound footing for the future and now moves on. Just another job perhaps.

I don't think it was 'bullshit'. At the time I think all parties wanted to agree a deal to extend his contract. But subsequently the Bulldogs have - if this Ripley chap is to be believed - made him the sort of offer that is one of the few which would make him consider leaving here. These things happen.

Learning All The Songs

If the Doggies are rebuilding and he wants to take on that challenge then Justin is the perfect fit. If they can promise him shed loads of money for that and a hike in his salary then I wouldn’t blame him for going. The contra argument is that if Saints win the CC and/or the GF then his stock will rise. This will inevitably create interest from other NRL clubs.
    The dilemma for Justin is does he take what’s on offer and hopefully finishes on a high at Saints or does he stay to consolidate the excellent job he’s done so far. He may however be fearful that Saints just end up with the LLS again so has to take what’s on the table now!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Mick Potter?

We'd had a great culture at the club for a decade before Rugby Leagues Roy Hogson rocked up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk