Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meltdown in Pie land

Got A Season Ticket

Default Meltdown in Pie land

Oh dear....Seems their big announcement day has driven our friends to despair. The resigning of Clubb has really gone down well. Seems Bibby and Clarke are not what they was expecting. Hard not to gloat but bigger picture doesnt bode well for them.

Learning All The Songs

Money problems over the hill. Plain & simple.

In The West Stand

It looks from the outside the club are deliberately trying to antagonise the fan base. It’s easy to snigger but it wasn’t too long ago it was us during the previous regime. Never forget tubthumping.

I’m very grateful for McManus, Coleman and Holbrook

Got A Season Ticket

I was meaning the same when i mentioned gloating...but from a RL perspective its not great. They dont want or deserve our pity though. Sport is cruel .

Learning All The Songs

Their problems are of their own making

After enduring some of their poaching of players in the 80s, Maurice Lyndsay, the Shelford contract affair and in more recent times avoiding relegation through a salary cap breach, the Flower attack on HoHaia etc not much sympathy from me

Thankfully we have Eamonns steady hand on the tiller. Long may that last

Learning All The Songs

The thing that got me about Wigan was the signing of Nigel Wright from Wakefield, Wigan had more than adequate cover for his position (loose forward/stand off) they just signed him to stop him going to another bigger club.

Fingers crossed that the signing of Jack Owens will be their next announcement

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    The thing that got me about Wigan was the signing of Nigel Wright from Wakefield, Wigan had more than adequate cover for his position (loose forward/stand off) they just signed him to stop him going to another bigger club.
    Nigel Wright was a fantastic player whose career was destroyed by injury. Mind due when he was crocked they got Henry Paul from Wakefield. Cheque book squad building and we know how it ended...

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    That was Wigan's modus operandi in the 80's signing players which simultaneously weakened opponents as much as to strengthen their own team.

Platt, Connolly, Offiah, etc.

Got A Season Ticket

If the extension to Clubb's contract and the signing of Clark and Bibby represent the extent of Wigan's ambitions for the future they obviously have real problems.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    If the extension to Clubb's contract and the signing of Clark and Bibby represent the extent of Wigan's ambitions for the future they obviously have real problems.
    Absolutely nailed it

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post

I really like Clark and bibbey, they could turn out to be very good signings for them

I think club is making the numbers up for a year

If they add two quality players to their squad they will be challenging next year imo

They are not in as bad a place as Leeds yet

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I really like Clark and bibbey, they could turn out to be very good signings for them

If they add two quality players to their squad they will be challenging next year imo

They are going to need two halves if Williams goes as expected. I believe Hastings will be one of them.

Clark is a good player and a handful but Bibby is bang average and if he’s one of their first choice centres next year it will hardly strike fear into people. They are short on a couple of good props too. They have gone from being Champions last year (albeit after plodding along quietly all year) to being 18 points off the top now. They’ve a lot of catching up to do.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Christ! I thought Hindley No 2 Nuclear Power Station had overheated when I saw the headline.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The South Stand

They are always in a better position than most sides as their academy system will always pump out Super League quality players every year without fail. But despite how weak Super League is as a competition at the moment, there is no way Wigan can compete with Saints or Warrington with just two quality signings. If you throw Jackson Hastings and another quality halfback in there, they still aren't going to be as good as Salford for example. Wigan's pack is absolute pants.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    They are going to need two halves if Williams goes as expected. I believe Hastings will be one of them.

Clark is a good player and a handful but Bibby is bang average and if he’s one of their first choice centres next year it will hardly strike fear into people. They are short on a couple of good props too. They have gone from being Champions last year (albeit after plodding along quietly all year) to being 18 points off the top now. They’ve a lot of catching up to do.
    Agree with this. I actually think Clark will be a more than adequate signing for them. The problem for Wigan is that this should be one of many signings required to upgrade a poor pack. I actually felt sorry for Lam; he was dealt a tough hand after Wigan overachieved in Wane's last season. Bateman was a quality player whose aggression they miss badly, O'Loughlin and Farrell look like age has caught up with them and Flower and Clubb are plodders, Sam Powell horribly overated. I laughed when I saw a Pie describe that Flower would get in any SL team. Bang average bully who disappears against any decent pack.

Not sure what to make of the Bibby signing. It looks, at best, like one of the B minus signings Saints made too often around 10 years ago. At worst it could be a Matty Dawson, Jack Owens esque signing. They also will have to face up to losing one of Burgess, Manfredi, Marshall and Davies as it seems clueless to have a large portion of the salary cap invested in 4 wingers.

Got A Season Ticket Dom McCormack's Avatar

Thats all I need to say.

Get em down.
    Have a quick look at 'The Last Days Of Knowsley Road' here http://saintsbook.wordpress.com/

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Agree with this. I actually think Clark will be a more than adequate signing for them. The problem for Wigan is that this should be one of many signings required to upgrade a poor pack. I actually felt sorry for Lam; he was dealt a tough hand after Wigan overachieved in Wane's last season. Bateman was a quality player whose aggression they miss badly, O'Loughlin and Farrell look like age has caught up with them and Flower and Clubb are plodders, Sam Powell horribly overated. I laughed when I saw a Pie describe that Flower would get in any SL team. Bang average bully who disappears against any decent pack.

Not sure what to make of the Bibby signing. It looks, at best, like one of the B minus signings Saints made too often around 10 years ago. At worst it could be a Matty Dawson, Jack Owens esque signing. They also will have to face up to losing one of Burgess, Manfredi, Marshall and Davies as it seems clueless to have a large portion of the salary cap invested in 4 wingers.

Good point about wingers, although they may not be on much money

I guess it depends who they can offload to open up cap space, two quality signings and maybe some replacements of others leave and they won't be far off

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Christ! I thought Hindley No 2 Nuclear Power Station had overheated when I saw the headline.

Little chance of that. As a reactor coolant, pea-wet has no equal.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I thought it was because Pooles Pies had gone bust, but then I remembered Whelan caused it to go bust year's ago, another masterstroke, from the man who makes Mike Asley look like Mother Theresa

Banned

Good point about wingers, although they may not be on much money

I guess it depends who they can offload to open up cap space, two quality signings and maybe some replacements of others leave and they won't be far off
    I think they're a fair away to be honest. I think their pack is abysmal: the front row is lousy, the second row lacks bite and their interchanges are uninspiring. As ever Wigan do have a top academy system to fall back on but its tough for any youngsters to go into a team on the turn in such physical positions.

If I was Radlinski I'd be doing everything to ensure Williams isn't snared by an NRL, because the likes of Shorrocks and Leulai (when he plays there) are game and willing but unlikely to bother many defences.

The wingers are a strength (n.b. - they've struggled with injury) but there are question marks at centre and I'm still to be convinced Hardaker fits into the system. It will certainly take more than a few signings to make up ground on Saints. We are light years ahead at the moment.

I think they're a fair away to be honest. I think their pack is abysmal: the front row is lousy, the second row lacks bite and their interchanges are uninspiring. As ever Wigan do have a top academy system to fall back on but its tough for any youngsters to go into a team on the turn in such physical positions.

If I was Radlinski I'd be doing everything to ensure Williams isn't snared by an NRL, because the likes of Shorrocks and Leulai (when he plays there) are game and willing but unlikely to bother many defences.

The wingers are a strength (n.b. - they've struggled with injury) but there are question marks at centre and I'm still to be convinced Hardaker fits into the system. It will certainly take more than a few signings to make up ground on Saints. We are light years ahead at the moment.
    Hasn't Williams' exit been pretty much confirmed?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Hasn't Williams' exit been pretty much confirmed?
    Yeah he has signed for Canberra.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Upside
    Non Members

I agree we are way ahead at the moment, just think they are just a couple of top signings away from being a threat

Banned

I agree we are way ahead at the moment, just think they are just a couple of top signings away from being a threat
    Which of their players would you swap for any of our 1st 13?

Possibly consider Williams, but he's off to Oz anyway.