Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 19 Man Squad v Salford - NO ROBY

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Relying on Coote’s kicking.. one of the main reasons we signed him is because of his kicking game?
    It’s been said by the coach and players alike it’s a team sport and Saints play as a team not individuals. In a perfect world Fages would have an excellent kicking game, he doesn’t but he brings much more to the team therefore we’re better for him in there with Coote doing most of the kicking.

Don’t rely on stats to tell if you a player is playing well or not. Amor took it up hard against Salford and found his front with quick play the balls. Hopefully Ashworth can pick some form up, he’s had a great opportunity with Thompson and LMS being out.
    He was signed with his short, left foot kicking game being one the main things he can bring to the team but I don’t remember him being signed to be our main kicking option, especially from deep which he clearly isn’t comfortable with. As I’ve said we haven’t got one player who has a natural kicking game which is a bit ridiculous.

And thanks for the advice but I didn’t need the stats to tell me Amor was terrible, they just helped back that up. You’re talking rubbish and are very deluded if you think that performance was anywhere near acceptable. 39 metres from 7 carries is pathetic as was him getting swatted aside by Kris Welham. He’s impactless and a liability in defence, he loses just about every collision and as a result takes an age to play the ball, hopefully it’s his last season with us he’s been useless since 2017. Ashworth also isn’t doing himself any favours either.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Amor is always doing hard metres right down the middle and attracting an extra defender he doesn't have massive impact but he is a strong player, Ashworth's metres were more on the edge but he isn't running a good line like he did early on in the season.
    Why would he attract an extra defender when he’s the easiest prop in the team to put down? He isn’t particularly big and almost walks it in he’s that slow.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Why would he attract an extra defender when he’s the easiest prop in the team to put down? He isn’t particularly big and almost walks it in he’s that slow.
    You need to forget and judge Amor's poor spell last season, as already pointed out he's been running in hard and finding his front this season, in fact he has been difficult to put down lately. You need to stop having a fast rewind perspective of the past performance of players.

He has been going OK over the last 4 weeks since we lost Thompson and LMS, he just doesn't have that dynamic style but prior to the Salford game he has responded to our prop injuries and has made 104, 131 and 113 metres.

You need to forget and judge Amor's poor spell last season, as already pointed out he's been running in hard and finding his front this season, in fact he has been difficult to put down lately. You need to stop having a fast rewind perspective of the past performance of players.

He has been going OK over the last 4 weeks since we lost Thompson and LMS, he just doesn't have that dynamic style but prior to the Salford game he has responded to our prop injuries and has made 104, 131 and 113 metres.
    I agree. He may or may not be in the first 17 when everyone is fit, but it’s been more than useful to have him in the squad the last few weeks with Thompson and LMS missing. That’s why we have an advantage this year as certainly in the forwards we can cover a handful of injuries without resorting to kids who aren’t ready for first team rugby

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I agree. He may or may not be in the first 17 when everyone is fit, but it’s been more than useful to have him in the squad the last few weeks with Thompson and LMS missing. That’s why we have an advantage this year as certainly in the forwards we can cover a handful of injuries without resorting to kids who aren’t ready for first team rugby
    I just don't know were HS517 is coming from, in an earlier post he said Amor is a liability in defence when in fact he has one of the lowest missed tackle counts this season, I think he has missed 16 tackles in 12 games by my maths thats 1.3 missed tackles per game.

For me Amor has the character to respond when the chips are down whether that be personal performance or the team needs his efforts because of those missing forwards.

Learning All The Songs

I just don't know were HS517 is coming from, in an earlier post he said Amor is a liability in defence when in fact he has one of the lowest missed tackle counts this season, I think he has missed 16 tackles in 12 games by my maths thats 1.3 missed tackles per game.

For me Amor has the character to respond when the chips are down whether that be personal performance or the team needs his efforts because of those missing forwards.
    For it to be a missed tackle does he have to make contact because Joe Wardle went past him like he wasn’t there against Huddersfield, he missed one against Drinkwater which lead to a Hull Kr try and then he got pushed away by Welham Friday night.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    He was signed with his short, left foot kicking game being one the main things he can bring to the team but I donĀ’t remember him being signed to be our main kicking option, especially from deep which he clearly isnĀ’t comfortable with. As IĀ’ve said we havenĀ’t got one player who has a natural kicking game which is a bit ridiculous.

And thanks for the advice but I didnĀ’t need the stats to tell me Amor was terrible, they just helped back that up. YouĀ’re talking rubbish and are very deluded if you think that performance was anywhere near acceptable. 39 metres from 7 carries is pathetic as was him getting swatted aside by Kris Welham. HeĀ’s impactless and a liability in defence, he loses just about every collision and as a result takes an age to play the ball, hopefully itĀ’s his last season with us heĀ’s been useless since 2017. Ashworth also isnĀ’t doing himself any favours either.
    Your posts are just so extreme. A ‘Ridiculous’ that our main kicker isn’t a natural kicker? What is a natural kicker? You can either kick or you can’t, kicking has obviously been part of his skill set for a long time, he looks comfortable to me.

I don’t even know I’m responding to this tripe but I feel I have to. Amor was not ‘awful’ at all. Everyone knows he’s not the player he was a few years ago, expectations have changed, maybe you need to change yours. He isn’t our starting prop and is behind Thompson, Walmsley, Lees, LMS, he isn’t a forward who’s going to break tackles and run 100+ meters every match, he’s doing his job for the team. I’m not even a big fan of Amor because he is very limited, I’d rather have Douglas in there but he’s been doing his job this season. I also hope he’s not on our books next season but he’s clearly still needed this one.

Learning All The Songs

Last season i thought our weakest tacklers were Peyroux & Richardson. Peyroux really has improved on that, and Richardson seems to have done the same. But one player who seems to be missing a fair share of tackles is Lees. I’m sure he’ll improve and hopefully the coaching staff will help him sort this out.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I was surprised to see Lui just run through him.
    First time I have seen Hastings & got to say I cannot understand why Saints fans
    rate him so highly , Lui looked far better bet .

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Last season i thought our weakest tacklers were Peyroux & Richardson. Peyroux really has improved on that, and Richardson seems to have done the same. But one player who seems to be missing a fair share of tackles is Lees. I’m sure he’ll improve and hopefully the coaching staff will help him sort this out.
    It seems to me that many of the “misses” by Lees are when he rushes at the ball carrier who, in moving to evade the pressure from Lees, merely gets tackled by a couple of other players. They may count as misses but are not catastrophic one-on-one failures that lead to line breaks/tries and I suspect it is part of the defensive structures that the coaches have put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    It seems to me that many of the “misses” by Lees are when he rushes at the ball carrier who, in moving to evade the pressure from Lees, merely gets tackled by a couple of other players. They may count as misses but are not catastrophic one-on-one failures that lead to line breaks/tries and I suspect it is part of the defensive structures that the coaches have put in place.
    Was going to say the same thing, its something Peyroux and Richardson did last year but they control it better this season. I should imagine when Lees and Knowles get it right its a pretty good "boom" tackle. Tai has missed quite a lot of basic tackles these last 2 games.

I like Lees but I don't think we can let him off the hook for missing those shots where he flies out of the line; they can cause problems on the edges if the attacking player manages to get a pass away (this happened a couple of times earlier in the season ... can't remember the exact game).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

He must be under orders to do it otherwise he wouldn't break the line of defence?
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    He must be under orders to do it otherwise he wouldn't break the line of defence?
    Yes, no doubt he's encouraged to get up and whack people but, as with anything else, once the game is underway it becomes a matter of the player's judgement as to when is and when is not a good time to do it. Sometimes I think he just gets a bit carried away and sprints out when there's not a lot of chance of success.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    First time I have seen Hastings & got to say I cannot understand why Saints fans
    rate him so highly , Lui looked far better bet .
    Lui is a strong, running 6 and was outstanding, but the way I saw it was that Hastings is an excellent ball playing, organising 7 and a perfect foil for Lui, enabling him to do what he did. When you watch what Hastings does, on and off the ball and in defense too, I really rate him.