Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is wrong with Wello?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

See my "leave Mike Bennett alone " campaign is working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Here's hopefully a final note

Wello is a modern great, the local lad made good

He plays with his heart- even if his legs are a little slower

He is certainly making mistakes recently

I don't think that the Captaincy has helped him at all, in fact its weighing him down

I think he probably needs a break, but with all the injuries he is soldiering on

Send him away for a week while we play London Skolars and lets get the real Wello back

We need him

Learning All The Songs Billinge Lump's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTSGUS
    Here's hopefully a final note

Wello is a modern great, the local lad made good

He plays with his heart- even if his legs are a little slower

He is certainly making mistakes recently

I don't think that the Captaincy has helped him at all, in fact its weighing him down

I think he probably needs a break, but with all the injuries he is soldiering on

Send him away for a week while we play London Skolars and lets get the real Wello back

We need him
    I don't think anyone will argue with most of that, I'm doubtful if you're right about the captaincy weighing him down or him needing a break though, we've only played 10 matches and 1 warm up, unless he's carrying an injury he should be at match fitness by now.
    I'm too pretty to be unlucky

Nothing wrong with Wello, and at 28 he'll be pretty much in his physical prime.

The problem is that with our pack being so depleted our opponents are able to make ground and put pressure on our backs at levels that they just aren't used to, particularly down the left where Meli is being targeted.

When we get a front row back the mistakes and misses will dry up.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Billinge Lump
    How long will you continue to say this for?

The fact of the matter is that he's nearer to 30 than 20, and whilst he is not anywhere near the end of his career in the game, he can't continue at full back for more than 1 or 2 years longer.

As has been said, he's not got the pace to lose and cover for with experience and his reading of the game, he's been doing that since he started.
    The only problem for me at the moment is that he is making mistakes, which is something he normally doesn't do, but it's something that happens even to the greatest of them from time to time. He's still about 20 mistakes short of the 2007 version of Brent Webb.

He went through a spell like this in 2003 when he was absolutely awful for two months but he come out the other side.

I think we all appreciate he isn't getting any younger but he's only 27 or 28. There's another couple of years, no problem, but I can see him moving up to the pack, a la Veivers, before his time is up.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection Woodspeckie's Avatar

Nowt wrong with Wello tonight was there? Meli knocked on a coupleof times but otherwise had a good game, was good to see the players patting his back when he did the good things.