Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well Done GB

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker
    Outstanding win.

On paper the Kiwis brought over one of their strongest ever teams.

Please tell me you dont really believe that?

In The South Stand Paul Cullen's Mantra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supersaint
    Please tell me you dont really believe that?

On paper we had a strong team for the GF......say no more.

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OVAL AND OWT
    On paper we had a strong team for the GF......say no more.
    Eh?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker
    Outstanding win.

All those Kiwis play in the NRL or are SL stars.

On paper the Kiwis brought over one of their strongest ever teams.

Players like Pritchard, Fui Fui moi moi and Asotasi are ranked amongst the best in australia and yet they have been outclassed.

Leon Pryce has shown himself to be world class.

Ade Garder is proving a revelation at international level.
    I'm not sure about this part. They have no class in the halves and whilst the forwards are good, they have no real quality in the back whatsoever. I'm no connoisseur of the NRL, so I'm not sure who isn't available, but I'm sure they have more quality in the backline left at home e.g. Matt Utai and then there's Brent Webb too.

But, I thought GB were outstanding in every area. Dominant performance up front, the halves were excellent with Pryce proving why he is the best 6 in the country. I think another year at 6 will put him up there with the best 6's the world has to offer. He's forming a superb partnership with Burrow. The back's are playing well, although we probably lack a good strike Centre. Gleeson is finding some good form which is a relief and I hope he has a big year at Wire next year as we'll need him in top form for the World Cup. Wellens was excellent yesterday and has shut up the critics for a bit. Overall, superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Does it rteally matter,"WHAT IS ON PAPER?". If they can't do it on the pitch, or are prevented from doing so, it means diddly squat!

Saints didn't do it on GF night.

This New Zealand team is nowhere near the quality of past teams that have toured these shores.

On Paper, On the Plane coming over, On the coach going to the game, On the pitch during the game this is not one of the strongest ever teams brought over by the Kiwis.

So how strong would they have been if they would have beaten us, old chap?

Quote Originally Posted by THELAST3YARDS
    Saints didn't do it on GF night.

This New Zealand team is nowhere near the quality of past teams that have toured these shores.

On Paper, On the Plane coming over, On the coach going to the game, On the pitch during the game this is not one of the strongest ever teams brought over by the Kiwis.
    Jon Clarke inspired GB team beats under strength kiwis, which team was understrength again?

Players still playing who could have played for GB last night where , scully, fielden, keiron, newton, long, deacon, roby, diskin, wild ,jones-buchanan, you know it goes on........ thats the same excuse that the kiwis are using.

well if they are so good why are they not touring?

Quote Originally Posted by OVAL AND OWT
    So how strong would they have been if they would have beaten us, old chap?
    Not as strong as previous touring teams - which was the point of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish
    Jon Clarke inspired GB team beats under strength kiwis, which team was understrength again?

Players still playing who could have played for GB last night where , scully, fielden, keiron, newton, long, deacon, roby, diskin, wild ,jones-buchanan, you know it goes on........ thats the same excuse that the kiwis are using.

well if they are so good why are they not touring?
    Are you missing the point of my post deliberately?

I disagreed with Chairmakers point that this is one of the strongest NZ touring teams. I do not think it is.

Do you?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THELAST3YARDS
    Are you missing the point of my post deliberately?

I disagreed with Chairmakers point that this is one of the strongest NZ touring teams. I do not think it is.

Do you?
    Agreed, but it wasn't a bad Kiwi side. The pack is still strong (Moi Moi, Asotasi, Pritchard etc), although they are very weak in the halves. It just proves the lack of depth they have in the halves in NZ and how much they've relied on Stacey Jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs Saint Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator
    Agreed, but it wasn't a bad Kiwi side. The pack is still strong (Moi Moi, Asotasi, Pritchard etc), although they are very weak in the halves. It just proves the lack of depth they have in the halves in NZ and how much they've relied on Stacey Jones.

Quite!
    I think they have missed both Jones and the presence of Wiki. However you can't point to the absence of SBW - when is he ever fit? As has been said we also had players missing so it could've been even more embarrassing for the Kiwis.

As for us I thought apart from Sinfield and McGuire all our team had good games - some were outstanding. MOM was definitely Wello. Next week should be an interesting team selection given Tony Smith's comments after the match.

Starting A Programme Collection Barbarian's Avatar

Their coach blamed the fact that he has 15 players missing through various circumstances. As has been said we had a fair few missing aswell

Scully
    Long
    Cunningham
    Roby
    Diskin
    Newton
    Cooke
    Calderwood
    Yeaman
    Deacon
    Harris
    Fielden
    Horne
    Fozzard
    Briers
    Wilkin
    Gilmour
    Briscoe
    Thackrey
    JJB
    Platt
    Carney
    Radlinski
    Farrell

All international class players who didnt feature in the squad. Some through Smith's choice, but many for other circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian
    Their coach blamed the fact that he has 15 players missing through various circumstances. As has been said we had a fair few missing aswell

Scully
    Long
    Cunningham
    Roby
    Diskin
    Newton
    Cooke
    Calderwood
    Yeaman
    Deacon
    Harris
    Fielden
    Horne
    Fozzard
    Briers
    Wilkin
    Gilmour
    Briscoe
    Thackrey
    JJB
    Platt
    Carney
    Radlinski
    Farrell

All international class players who didnt feature in the squad. Some through Smith's choice, but many for other circumstances.

We didn't have anyone missing bar Roby, we were at full strength and that list is a load of rubbish, their either retired, not even playing rl or deemed by the powers that be NOT good enough.

Starting A Programme Collection Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supersaint
    We didn't have anyone missing bar Roby, we were at full strength and that list is a load of rubbish, their either retired, not even playing rl or deemed by the powers that be NOT good enough.

But in an ideal world we would have a team of -

Wellens
    Calderwood
    Gleeson
    Senior
    Carney
    Pryce
    Long
    Fielden
    Cunningham
    Morley
    Peacock
    Sculthorpe
    Farrell

Roby
    Fasa'avalu
    Burgess
    Sinfield

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Wellens
    Calderwood
    Gleeson
    Senior
    Carney
    Pryce
    Long
    Fielden
    Cunningham
    Morley
    Peacock
    Sculthorpe
    Farrell

Roby
    Fasa'avalu
    Burgess
    Sinfield
    An IDEAL world?? Carney & Farrell both Union, Cunningham RETIRED from Internationals, Long no longer good enough. WHAT have Rayner and Gardner done wrong.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

I dont think anyone is doubting the performance of GB last night. They were excellent and yes there was a lot more fluency and cohesion and some great performances. But the reality check is that we need to do this against Australia and on a regular basis.

How many times do we win the 1st test in a series and then normal service is resumed with the Aussies winning the last 2. Home advantage has been a major factor too, could we envisage a series win in Australia? Probably not. No one is doubting the potential of this team and there are some good youngsters coming through, but IMO only Roby would have played last night if available, possibly a fully fit Yeaman. Definitely not Calderwood. No matter what people say, we were more or less at full strength.

If fit and available for slection Long, Sculthorpe, Cunningham, Carney and Roby would all be definates.

For Sculthopre read Sonny bill Wiliams for Benji Marshall read Shaun Long, for Vatuvei read Brian Carney.

Shontayne Hape played in that Kiwi team and many people regard him as the best centre playing in the northern hemisphere.

The Kiwi pack were all NRL. The kiwis prefering not to select what they regard as lower quality powder puff SL players.
    Players like Fu fu moi moi were courted by the Kangaroos, such is the esteem with which he is regarded down under.

The fact they didnt perform is down to the attitude of the GB players not the fact the Kiwis were rubbish.

No one is doubting the performance. I am talking about doing it against Australia. And how can you quote Long, Cunningham and Carney when they have retired from international RL. I have not even mentioned Stacey Jones as being absent from NZ. I am talking about players currently available to play, which is why I am saying probably only Roby would have played. Am not even sure Sculthorpe would get in the team.

I still feel we are behind Australia and that they would beat us 3-0 in a series home or away.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Stu M
    GB were excellent, of that there is no doubt. But NZ were without SBW, Benji Marshall and others who are regulars in the NRL. No matter what anyone says, the NRL is still the best in the world, (and yes I know British sides normally win the WCC). GB have the makings of a good side and are now very powerful in the forwards, and also creative in the halves, as Pryce and Burrow linked up well.

However Australia are a different proposition altogether. I can honestly say if we played them in a 3 game series here or over there, then they would win all the games. Sorry for not being patriotic, just giving my honest opinion. They are still ahead when it comes to international competition and if they were to put a full side out then they would show this. Lets not forget that they beat NZ 58-0 also.

Was impressed with the Saints lads, thought Wello was outstanding, Graham made some good yards, and Gardner looked solid throughout. Peacock was immense and Pryce played for 80 mins instead of his usual 40 for Saints.

Lets not get carried away is all I am saying.
    they beat the same NZ team 58-0, but NZ played the majoirty of the game with 12 men on the field and 2 players off injured. this was a fantastic performance against a good team and all the players deserve all the credit they get.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The South Stand

Wellens
    Calderwood
    Gleeson
    Senior
    Carney
    Pryce
    Long
    Fielden
    Cunningham
    Morley
    Peacock
    Sculthorpe
    Farrell

Roby
    Fasa'avalu
    Burgess
    Sinfield
    which ideal world is that?

none of the extra players you have named would improve the current team.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

LONG would not get into Smiths team IMHO, I think Smith would consider him a liability and he is not worth a place even if he wanted to be considered.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.