Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which coach......

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natamy
    McClennan for me, showed the team at the time just what could be achieved with a pint of lagerlol
    He just saw the window of opportunity.lol

Quote Originally Posted by THELAST3YARDS
    He just saw the window of opportunity.lol
    lol

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse
    Only for him we would now have a new ground courtesy of Owen Corning, but he didn't want their man on the board, it was Owen Corning money that brought Newlove to Saints.
    i heard that owen corning wanted a lot more from the club than just a seat on the board,think about it,brand new stadium in straight swap for a seat on the board?there had to be more to it than that.
    im sure that howes approached a lot of local businesses for interest free loans to secure the newlove deal.owens corning didnt fund the lot.

Got A Season Ticket Haydock Saint's Avatar

Dave Rotheram for me.

In the short space of time he was in charge, he did a great job. Yes a bit of a blip at Hull, but Maurie's hacker certainly put a smile on the fans faces. And the win at Widnes... if we had lost we would not have won the hub cap. He set up the success for Anderson.

He's out of work at the moment and I reckon we should get him to replace Anderson

In The South Stand

bad news,dave is head coach at workington

McBeercan for me , he introduced new training methods at the club including the weighted sledges and new moves on the pitch (header over the line included) , playing a prop at stand off from a scrum (george mann), and was generally a breath of fresh air , apart from wasting that pint.....

Got A Season Ticket Haydock Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman
    bad news,dave is head coach at workington
    Mr McManus will have to "tap" carefully then.

Starting A Programme Collection Saints Alive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wellensisno1
    I fully believe we will not see the impact Anderson (abley assisted by Alan Wilson) on the club for another couple of years i.e. after he has departed.

Whilst most of the coaches mentioned have had some international class players to work with, it is Anderson who has sown the seeds and helped structure the development side of club beyond the first team.
    not wrong there.

Anderson has not only achived & maintained success but has kept up the building/develpment process for the future ( assisted of course by the likes of Rush & Wilson)
    Andersons legacy will come to fruition over the next few years when the current crop of younger players start to make their names.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Fully Agree.just hope there are a couple of quick young centres about!!
    Learned comment from The Don

each coach brought there own techniques with them, obviously as already said McClennan madea bunch of part timers almost as good as a full time team, hughes brought the likes of prescott, cunningham and arnold into our team, mcrae could build on that with his ideas from down under, hanley brought in a rock solid defence in which we lacked, millward brought us the 'entertainers' tag, and then anderson put them all together introducing new techniques, bringing in our youth academy, having a rock solid defence and a good attack......all the foundations are there for our new coach, our new coach hasnt really got alot to do, just keep developing our youth system

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Blimey if it's that easy think I'll apply !

Starting A Programme Collection tongey's Avatar

What about Eric Hughes. He got the kids coming through the ranks and then brought them into the team, and MacRae took most of the credit for it

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Hanley made a hell of a difference to the mind set of the players and started the club off in the right direction with regards to it's match preperations and professionalism that we see today on and off the field.
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Mrnike22 is spot on with his evaluation - each coach has brought something new to the side and built on the work done by the predecessor. It's highly unlikely in sport (or business for that matter) that you can suddenly turn from a poor performance into something amazing and successful. It takes time and experience. That's the evolution we've seen in the last 10-15 years.

I remember the bad-old-80's where we won nothing, which was tougher for me growing up in Wigan (long story). It's going to be just as much hard work maintaining our current success because everyone wants to better us! Wigan spending over the salary cap and still being mid-table mediocrity says it all - success takes time!

I remember the bad-old-80's where we won nothing,

Given that you are only 18 you have done well to remember the 80s. You were not even born

Quote Originally Posted by Stu M
    I remember the bad-old-80's where we won nothing,

Given that you are only 18 you have done well to remember the 80s. You were not even born
    Oops, can tell I am tired, thought your age was 18 and it was number of posts. Sorry mate. Doh

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by RVM
    McRae, McRae, McRae...

PAH!

Despite winning cups, he took charge of a side that had already been built. All he had to do was guide it and to be frank, his record post-Saints isn't as glowing as it should be for such a wonder coach.

The question was: Which coach over the last 20 years has had the most effect on the Saints team?

McRae didn't have an earth shattering effect, he didn't change much, he just fine tuned what was already in place, then watched it slip away.

To answer the question properly, you need to look deeper into the club and the squad at the time, look at key signings, look at key departures, look at performances and attitude before and after; not just look at the silverware won.

The men who I believe definitely had the most effect on the club in the last 20 years are McLennan and Hanley, followed by Anderson.
    Don't need to read any more. That is the definitive answer.

McRae knocked the team that Eric Hughes built into shape for twelve months. Only one of those players was brought in by himself (Derek McVey).

By the time McRae left we were in a worse shape than when he took over.

Who is to say Hughes wouldn't have done what McRae did in 1996 had he been given the chance. The signs had certainly been there in the centenary season that we were on the verge of something special.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Got A Season Ticket

sorry, what about the chairman? we've hade several managers in a fairly short period, but surely the resurgence and subsequent dominance of the club, are down to the astute selection and support thereof by the chairman, of their selections of the person to do the best by the club?

How many of us thought McRae was the man ( a lot judgeing by this thread ) ?

How many of us wailed and despaired when Milward was sacked?

Give credit where credit is due.

Don't call me names in response!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scots saint
    sorry, what about the chairman? we've hade several managers in a fairly short period, but surely the resurgence and subsequent dominance of the club, are down to the astute selection and support thereof by the chairman, of their selections of the person to do the best by the club?

You are definitely right, saved a fast sinking club, deserves more from the fans who were knocking him a couple of weeks ago:saint: :saint: :saint:

Gavin Murray by a mile !!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by scots saint

We know all that but the question is about coaches.

We can start one about chairmen if we want then Mrs Ellard could vote for their Tom, Mrs Latham for their Eric, Mrs Ashton for their Eric and everyone else apart from that daft twat who wore the "McAnus" shirt two years ago can vote for Eamonn, but it would all be pretty much a foregone conclusion with the thread ending after half a dozen posts.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    apart from that daft twat who wore the "McAnus" shirt two years ago can vote for Eamonn,

I recall telling that guy to his face that his shirt was a f****** disgrace !! It was at some motorway service station.

Got A Season Ticket

Hanley or Anderson? It's a close call.

In the short time that Hanley was at the club he provided the belief to the players that they could beat other teams who were frankly better than us. Another season of McRae would have resulted in a downturn in our fortunes. Millward rode on the back of this turnaround in the club's fortunes in 2000/01 and was fortunate to find himself with a bunch of players at the peak of their careers (Long, Cunningham, Sculthorpe).

Anderson turned around a team who could beat anybody on their day into a team who could beat anybody on any given day.