Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: disused railway.

In The South Stand

Default disused railway.

Just been messing about on the council planning site, under major developements p/20070945, there is a mention of the old Shaw St to Junction railway line being used as a walkway back to the station and town centre, seeing as this runs along the corner of the new stadium site it could well prove a popular access point.
    It worth a read its the old foundry site at the top of the ring road thats being done up, the canal looks smart.

Have you got a direct link, I can't find it.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by doghead
    Just been messing about on the council planning site, under major developements p/20070945, there is a mention of the old Shaw St to Junction railway line being used as a walkway back to the station and town centre, seeing as this runs along the corner of the new stadium site it could well prove a popular access point.
    It worth a read its the old foundry site at the top of the ring road thats being done up, the canal looks smart.

Can't see this happening personally as its in the Council Unitary Development Plan to actually work towards re-opening the railway between the town centre and the Junction. Brian Spencer also mentioned it in a meeting I was at a few weeks ago about this and that the proposal was in the Unitary Development Plan, so I would say there's no chance of it being used as an access walkway.

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

At the official press conf for the new stadium this was noted. It was also pointed out that the land and track were owned by English Heritage and it would be extremely unlikely that anything would be altered to make use of it for the new stadium.
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Starting A Programme Collection Billy Bunter's Avatar

If you look at the 'Consultation Response - Merseytravel' about a 1/3 of the way down on this link Planning Application you will see their thoughts on the development. Within which Merseytravel insist that development doesn't affect the Central to Junction railway line as they may consider re-opening it. Further to that, they say it could well allow for a station dedicated to the stadium and adjacent retail.

Its about time there was a town centre - Manchester rail link its pathetic you have to go to Lea Green or The Junction.

St Helens Central - Manchester Victoria direct services exist.

Depart: 07:32 St Helens Central (SNH)
    07:39 Garswood
    07:42 Bryn
    07:56 Wigan North Western
    08:01 Hindley
    08:06 Westhoughton
    08:15 Bolton
    08:18 Moses Gate
    08:20 Farnworth
    08:22 Kearsley Manchester
    08:32 Salford Crescent
    08:35 Salford Central
    Arrive: 08:40 Manchester Victoria (MCV)

Admittedly it's just the one but rather than re-open a link from Central to Junction I'm sure Network Rail would just tell Northern Trains to route via Wigan, if the demand was significantly high enough.

But if you don't mind crossing the road at Wigan there are hourly St Helens - Manchester services that do not involve Lea Green or Junction.

Got A Season Ticket

Joking i walk over that 'railway' if i cant be bothered catchin that free bus from the gym back to town.........its slowly got worse as this years gone on.....like a forest now!!

Though if it was ever possible n allowed to be opened what a great idea it would be!!.........me grandad mentioned it the minute that the stadium started to be mentioned there!!

Be like the mancs with their train station!! or our a bit smaller wembley park!! lol