Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious Question

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

If we are to have meaningful internationals they should be mid-season and break the season for 3/4 weeks.But of course the clubs may suffer financially and the spectators are usually more interested in their own clubs..We are all too parochial for In ternational Rugby league.

We can all watch Morley and Newton getting sent off and in trouble at club level we don't need to see it at Intl level.(ps I dont like Newton)
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by graham cunliffe
    If we are to have meaningful internationals they should be mid-season and break the season for 3/4 weeks.But of course the clubs may suffer financially and the spectators are usually more interested in their own clubs..We are all too parochial for In ternational Rugby league.

We can all watch Morley and Newton getting sent off and in trouble at club level we don't need to see it at Intl level.(ps I dont like Newton)
    To be fair I don't think we were too parochial pre super league when we used to get 50,000 at Old Trafford watching GB play the Aussies ( 1990, 1994). I think a lot of the excitement then was generated because it was early season and you were getting in the case of the British players more of your best ones who were fresher. While at the moment it smacks of flogging dead horses sticking international games which should be the most important matches at the arse end of the season.

Furthermore take Rugby Union which has a very strong and vibrant International game, England play virtually all there European based games at the beginning of the year or mid season ( Six nations) you never find them playing home games in May/June this is when they tend to do there tours. There not daft if they thought they could sell out Twickers to the prawn sandwich brigade at the end of the season they would. However they must have recognised that the average Rugby Union fan has had his fill of the game after the domestic season has finished. This is were Rugby League needs to take notice. The Grand final should ultimately be the end of the season unless its a world Cup like next year. Just my thoughts.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

.Maybe we should play the internationals pre-season or ala RU slap bang in the middle to force everyones attention on it.Playing one off tests hear and there is a waste of time imo.Tony Smith needs everyone's focus or we could end up like football.just a bunch of clubs whinging about their players getting injured in Internationals.
    We'll never get close by playing at the end of season,even if it is the same for both teams,as we play much more rugby than NZ and The Aussies..I think.
    Learned comment from The Don

Can't say I am to bothered about Internationals TBH, it's always the same, players out of position to accomodate others and we always lose.

And I will be watching even less of it now we have decided to start picking non British players

Starting A Programme Collection Bainsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the man - the legend
    Only if i can buy them off you so you make a profit. Tosser.
    My god stop going on like an old woman. Your getting really boring now. Move on in your life and let go!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsey
    My god stop going on like an old woman. Your getting really boring now. Move on in your life and let go!
    lol

Cheerleader Co-ordinator Trev The Bear's Avatar

I'll let it drop when you donate the cash you made from those tickets to a charitable cause.
    "The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable."

I care yes, but I wont be there this saturday night. I will however make an appearance at the JJB when the teams clash there. I am excited at the thought of seeing England RL in oz next year, very very excited infact.
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman
    was that a sarcastic comment?
    Thought i was being magnaminous

goin to jjb would love to go all 3 but too expensive for me at moment

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Wow, what a negative thread this is!

At the end of the day if we really want this great sport of ours to progress at international level then we have to stop moaning and get behind them.

And yes I shall be attending the third test at Wigan and possibly the 1st test @ Hudds on Saturday.
    To what will it progress? Three meaningful teams playing in front of 20,000 at Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull to three meaningful teams playing in front of bigger crowds, is about as good as it can get.

There are many reasons for the decline in interest.

One is the fact that whatever happens, we just cannot ever beat the Aussies in a series, and the chances are we are as far away as ever.

Two is the timing of the events. Now we have players pulling out left, right and centre after the end of a hard season. In the past the tests took part early in the season, when the crowds and the players were more hungry for it.

Until we have more than three countries competing at the top level, our own fans with be apathetic and other sports fan will view the sport as a joke when they compare it to the crowds seen at Union internationals in far more countries.

Alas, the day when more than three countries compete meaningfully in Rugby League is unlikely to ever happen.

I am in Scotland this weekend. I will report how many people are interested in the game in the Glasgow Sports Cafe. I will hazard a guess at two!
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

decline in interest?

it was only in the early 90s that GB v NZ was getting 8000 per game.

Im looking forward to the test matches,especially after the disappointment of the Grand Final,Im hoping ESPN classic show some old test matches between GB and Kiwis on Saturday!(although I doubt it).

RU play their 6 Nations without stopping their elite club competition do they not ?

I assume that during this period their internationals are not available for club duty ?

I really cannot see any SL club or fans being happy about having a number of players not available for selection for a month or the season .

A mid-season hiatus would be the only compromise.

Interest in International RL over here has not declined of late...since the tri nations began it's been pretty steady and a hell of a lot better than it was for 10 years previously.

FWIW, I absolutely love international RL, and I'm gutted that I can't make the first two tests. It has a unique quality that you ust don't get in club games and I think it's a real shame people don't buy into the concept a bit more. The only negative attached to it, IMO, is that mentioned by Blobby and others - that (usually when GB are behind in the game) the 'fans' are more interested in berating players from other supporters' teams than in getting behind the side they are there to watch.

Got A Season Ticket alan partridge's Avatar

has any one got any idea who our next coach is gonna be???
    is there any truth in a certain mal meninga being interested. which is the reason he was at the cup final in wembley

Starting A Programme Collection Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alan partridge
    has any one got any idea who our next coach is gonna be???
    is there any truth in a certain mal meninga being interested. which is the reason he was at the cup final in wembley
    What has this got to do with international matches?

Got A Season Ticket alan partridge's Avatar

sorry didnt no i broke ur rules. just posted it in wrong place

Starting A Programme Collection Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alan partridge
    sorry didnt no i broke ur rules. just posted it in wrong place

No worries cock. But if you wanna completely change the subject its best to start a new thread.

Just got confirmation my FREE ticket for tomorrow! lol