Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 7 saints in the GB squad

Starting A Programme Collection derek acorah's Avatar

Just been talking to my source from Worcester,tells me that Wilkin will be pulled out of the GB suad within the next 2 days,for surgery of some kind.He also said as well as his bicep,Fozzards shoulders goosed to.As long as Napoleon O'Loughlin isnt fit for Gb then we should be fine.
    also on glorious facebook and twitter !
    'I found love in a hopeless place' Rhianna,Widnes,2011

Learning All The Songs Knight Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derek acorah
    Just been talking to my source from Worcester,tells me that Wilkin will be pulled out of the GB suad within the next 2 days,for surgery of some kind.He also said as well as his bicep,Fozzards shoulders goosed to.As long as Napoleon O'Loughlin isnt fit for Gb then we should be fine.

wlikin said in his last colum he was injered and was going to play through it as he realey wanted to play for GB so must of gotten worse
    Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not fully understand,
    into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly predict
    in such a fashion that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.

I AM DYSLEXIC SO I HAVE BAD SPELLING, thank you

Knight Shadow...now with fire fox spell check! thanks guys and ladies!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by THELAST3YARDS
    R P,

If a place called Cloudcuckooland existed, then whoever was born there would be eligible to represent them.

Is it too difficult a concept to realise that I don't agree with the qualifying rules as they stand currently.

I think the residency rule is ridiculous.

I think if you were born overseas to British parents then you should represent the country you were born in.

I think, in a nutshell, that all people who are connected to an international sports team should have been born in that country.
    Players - Coaches - Physios - Management - Everyone.
    So as its recognised that very few countries recognise birth in the country as a stand alone right to nationality of that country, then consequently according to your theory you would have a whole load of sports people in various sports representing countries that they have no right to.......makes sense!

R P,

If a place called Cloudcuckooland existed, then whoever was born there would be eligible to represent them.

Is it too difficult a concept to realise that I don't agree with the qualifying rules as they stand currently.

I think the residency rule is ridiculous.

I think if you were born overseas to British parents then you should represent the country you were born in.

I think, in a nutshell, that all people who are connected to an international sports team should have been born in that country.
    Players - Coaches - Physios - Management - Everyone.
    Just to respond again with what you said believe it of not I see where your coming from with your argument, however place of birth in the grand scheme of things is not important generally so under your method it would be possible but highly unlikely that you could have a team full of players representing the UK or England who were born here but not entitled to British citizenship. So in reality the only true benchmark for eligibility for a national team would be citizenship of that country …..therefore we come back to Faz being eligible.

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R P McMurphy
    Just to respond again with what you said believe it of not I see where your coming from with your argument, however place of birth in the grand scheme of things is not important generally so under your method it would be possible but highly unlikely that you could have a team full of players representing the UK or England who were born here but not entitled to British citizenship. So in reality the only true benchmark for eligibility for a national team would be citizenship of that country …..therefore we come back to Faz being eligible.
    In my opinion, birthplace should be the only criteria.

Populations change as people move for work (a la Maurie) which I completely understand.
    If someone offered me a job that I fancied overseas then I would go.
    If I was there for 4 years+ then I do not think this should affect my eligiblilty for international sports competition (If I had the necessary skills.)

Seem to be missing the point on this one.

The world has changed and the mobility of people has
    changed many cultures and societies leaving many people with
    a choice between representing a country of birth , upbringing
    or family links.

The issue for me is that once a choice has been made
    it should be stuck to.

Maurie represented Samoa so that should be it.
    If he came to th UK having not represented another
    country then he should be free to represent England/GB
    at any sport.

That's why people like Mike Catt have credibility
    and Henry Paul does not.

Noooobie

In my opinion, birthplace should be the only criteria.

Populations change as people move for work (a la Maurie) which I completely understand.
    If someone offered me a job that I fancied overseas then I would go.
    If I was there for 4 years+ then I do not think this should affect my eligiblilty for international sports competition (If I had the necessary skills.)
    Whilst I appreciate (and Agree with) your comments regarding "You" working over seas for 4+ years and not necessarily being eligible to play International Sport for that country - what about your Children? If during your 4 year stint you and your partner had children then returned to the UK when they were aged 1 or 2 are you saying that they can only play for the country of Birth if they have then spent 20+ years in the UK?

Did we have all these posts when Carney played for GB??
    What a tosser he was, kept his head down when the the team were singing the National Anthem

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by amywinehouse
    Did we have all these posts when Carney played for GB??
    What a tosser he was, kept his head down when the the team were singing the National Anthem

1) why would there be any issue with Brian Carney playing for the team "Great Britain and Ireland"?

2) why should Brian Carney sing the National Anthem of a country he is not a national of?

3) why do we sing the British national anthem only - when the team represents 2 seperate countries?
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Unionconvert
    Whilst I appreciate (and Agree with) your comments regarding "You" working over seas for 4+ years and not necessarily being eligible to play International Sport for that country - what about your Children? If during your 4 year stint you and your partner had children then returned to the UK when they were aged 1 or 2 are you saying that they can only play for the country of Birth if they have then spent 20+ years in the UK?
    If I worked in e.g Spain, then if my kids were born there then they should only represent Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig

1) why would there be any issue with Brian Carney playing for the team "Great Britain and Ireland"?

2) why should Brian Carney sing the National Anthem of a country he is not a national of?

3) why do we sing the British national anthem only - when the team represents 2 seperate countries?
    1. Carney played for Gt. Britain only, the Ireland bit was dropped ( after 8yrs) in 2003.

2. So we should use two national anthems to accomodate anyone not born in the British isles???

3. The team represents only Gt. Britain.

If I worked in e.g Spain, then if my kids were born there then they should only represent Spain.
    If your kids were born there the Spanish govt would only recognise them as Spanish nationals if you or your partner were a Spanish national, or if you had waited a length of time to claim residency therefore bestowing on them Spanish nationality, this after renouncing any claim to UK nationality, as the Spanish Govt do not recognise dual nationality unless your from Latin American countries.

So for example if you and your partner returned to the Uk after your child was born. Spain would not accept your child playing football/ tiddlywinks for them but under your method you wouldn't allow them to by for England/ UK either. It can all get complicated due to different countries requirements consequently it should go on what your passport says or if your eligible for a passport for that particular country.

Can I put this one to bed and say I disagree.

My view only.

It's never likely to happen in this day and age and we should just get on with supporting GB at the weekend even if it does contain our Samoan.

Come on the Lions!