Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Take Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Billinge Lump
    There's a whole thread on the homecoming, where many disagree with you.
    And the flip side is, Many Agree

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu M
    Nothing has been said on here that I dont agree with. The frustrating thing now is that this will result in even worse crowds next season. If we cant attract 10,000 fans after being the dominant team last year, we have no chance next year. Part time fans will just not be interested.
    I think the main reason for the loss of supporters is the fact that they are not getting what they see as value for money.

Successful years or unsuccesful years our home win ratio doesn't change a lot. However, the games have become a little tedious. Not only do we expect to win, but we also used to turn up knowing that on some occasions we got right royally entertained by spectacular rugby. We never knew if we would turn up and watch an unbelievable exhibition of rugby league.

Now, we might score forty points but there are no great tries. There is little flowing rugby, there is the grinding out of the result.

Other clubs fans accept that as entertainment. Saints fans were always used to something different. I think it's been very difficult for our lot of supporters to accept (given that we know we will win) that we will do it in an uninspiring manner and that we will switch off when the job is done. We never go for the jugular like we used to.

Rightfully or wrongfully, there is more to life than winning games of Rugby League for some punters. They want to come home having enjoyed their evening.

I can certainly say that the last two years of home games have been the least inspiring, entertainment wise, in two decades. I can't remember many occasions when I have come away buzzing about a spectacular show of entertainment.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Banned

I blame the entertainers.com. Ever since they named that site we have been unentertaining

lol lol lol lol lol

The only thing I'd disagree with here is the singling out of young people. The fights I saw, they were not particularly young.

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobble
    The only thing I'd disagree with here is the singling out of young people. The fights I saw, they were not particularly young.
    Didn't think I did.

I said it may re-focus some of our younger and newer supporters over how it feels to be winning and tasting defeat, never mentioned them causing trouble! If you are a newer or younger supporter you won't have tasted defeat, it has been a while since we lost a major final.

Why did I know it would be you to try and twist my words
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Learning All The Songs McClennan's Avatar

I agree with several sentiments posted on this thread, particularly about the inference that you have to suffer some bad losses to be able to appreciate the good times and not overreact to the bad times.

The only concern that I really have is the club's support both in terms of volume, which just hasn't moved on and the behaviour and expectation of fans, which has been discussed at length in various threads.

I don't see any need for distress about on-the-field matters although I think that we will have to accept that with the increasing influence of the salary cap every game is going to be that much tighter. We know that the days of easy matches have been over for a couple of years now but I expect next year to produce more competitive home matches which is something we haven't witnessed in a long time. Will the fans come out and support those kind of games? I honestly don't know.

Prospect, Sydney...Born n Bred Thatto Heather.

Well as im now an overseas supporter, i'm not sure I can pass any comments on the current crowd behaviour. Although I did manage two games last year, which I suppose isn't bad living in Sydney. Plus I have been a fan since 1986, in the classic 112-0/Brett Clark Season.

But the I feel the loss in the Grand final will re-focus fans who have become complacent and arrogant given the climate of success that has grew and grew. Maybe these fans who have been so un-sporting in their behaviour this season, will look back in future years to see how lucky they have been to witness such a succesful team, particularly in a salary cap era, which means four/five teams at least are now currently on a level playing field. The final wins where coming that thick and fast that they where becoming a normal part of the season. How can we forget the feeling of our first up wins such as Super League title in 96, challenge Cup 96, and Grand Final in 1999, World Club Championship 2001. None of the victories since quite had the ecsatic feeling of those dates. We have indeed been lucky with the players that have graced Knowsley road in recent years. Plus also, I do not believe our youth policy as ever been so good. We would be lucky for 1 player in five years to become a regular first grade Rugby League player at Saints. But now we are seeing 2-3 players a season making the grade at Saints. Another feather in the cap for Mr Mcmanus. So maybe now, when, as in all salary cap era's the undoubted re-building and circulation of success, and the loss of the stalwarts of the likes of Long, Cunningham, Sculthorpe in the coming seasons, the new players can build their new culture within the club and we can relieve the success again as the new era begins of great Saints that will look up the the legends we have been watching over the last decade!
    <---- I'm the one on the right!!

One or two things Id like to say,has anyone mentioned(and if they have I apologise)the price of £17 being a bit steep for a Superleague team no matter how successful,not everyone is rolling in it at the moment.Price apart can we as fans complain about the type of fan who comes to watch Saints when the forum is full of Saints fans wanting more people to turn up and watch.

Got A Season Ticket Irish Saint's Avatar
    Singapore.....Approx 9,000 miles from Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop
    Well as im now an overseas supporter, i'm not sure I can pass any comments on the current crowd behaviour. Although I did manage two games last year, which I suppose isn't bad living in Sydney. Plus I have been a fan since 1986, in the classic 112-0/Brett Clark Season.

But the I feel the loss in the Grand final will re-focus fans who have become complacent and arrogant given the climate of success that has grew and grew. Maybe these fans who have been so un-sporting in their behaviour this season, will look back in future years to see how lucky they have been to witness such a succesful team, particularly in a salary cap era, which means four/five teams at least are now currently on a level playing field. The final wins where coming that thick and fast that they where becoming a normal part of the season. How can we forget the feeling of our first up wins such as Super League title in 96, challenge Cup 96, and Grand Final in 1999, World Club Championship 2001. None of the victories since quite had the ecsatic feeling of those dates. We have indeed been lucky with the players that have graced Knowsley road in recent years. Plus also, I do not believe our youth policy as ever been so good. We would be lucky for 1 player in five years to become a regular first grade Rugby League player at Saints. But now we are seeing 2-3 players a season making the grade at Saints. Another feather in the cap for Mr Mcmanus. So maybe now, when, as in all salary cap era's the undoubted re-building and circulation of success, and the loss of the stalwarts of the likes of Long, Cunningham, Sculthorpe in the coming seasons, the new players can build their new culture within the club and we can relieve the success again as the new era begins of great Saints that will look up the the legends we have been watching over the last decade!

Mr Cooper,

Are you really the best placed person to discuss the drunken antics of the part time fans of the mighty saints?

I seem to recall your behaviour and alcohol consumption at a couple of games at Telstra and Parramatta this season were less than exemplerary if I recall (joke, by the way!)

But then again.....I was as bad

On a more serious note, and as a reaction to Al's perfectly written post.....I also left with 5 or 10 minutes to go...... Not because of our team, but after spending too much of my time being distracted by mindless knobs dragging our great clubs' name down to the gutter with fighting and arguing with anybody who appeared to disagree with them...

I did not fly half way round the world to see this.... My team lost, and I was upset....If it had not been for the idiots I would have said that my money was well spent, no matter the result, unfortunatly, I left wondering why the hell I bother. OK, I have spent many hours on planes returning back home to calm down, but it still knarks me that true Saints fans will end up getting a reputation that they do not deserve because some part time Henry's decide act likes idiots.

And a response to another post.......... I would rather see 7,000 true saints fans at any match, be it League, cup or a final, and all giving the team 100% than 15,000 fans who don't really care about the team.

Irish Saint
    IRELAND BY BIRTH
    ST HELENS BY THE GRACE OF GOD!!

Prospect, Sydney...Born n Bred Thatto Heather.

G'day Derek,

Glad to hear from you. I thought you would have been on the new Airbus that landed at Sydney this evening

You expecting a visit to Sydney again soon?..No rugby on this time, so I shall have to take you on a pub crawl instead
    <---- I'm the one on the right!!

Got A Season Ticket Steward Saint's Avatar

I agree the bulk of what you say apart from this part
    "I have seen a lack of sporting behaviour to the point where there were less than an average home gate left to applaud the players off the field at the end of a very hard season."

Given that we have said hard a season i don't think it warrants the performance they had in the second half.
    For all of theirs reputations they just did not seem arsed; I am no part time fan i've been watching Saints game in game out for a good 14 years, been to all but one final of any stature and stayed behind to the bitter end at every game but i have neer seen such a performance like that. I stayed till full time then left, i felt ripped off £21.
    This is my opinion have a go at your will i dont really give a monkeys !!