Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Widnes have gone bust

Got A Season Ticket roby lights up my senses's Avatar

it is sad , just looking back to how they used to be. used to go the stadium for my i.t lessons when i was in school and they have loads of pictures and memrobilia (sp?) up on the walls and in glass cabinets. never would of thought they would go bust
    Saints Are Magic , Wigan Are Tragic

Learning All The Songs

Has Devereux been rooting again?
    CSM Services for all your Fork-Lift Truck requirements.

Ring me, Peter or Jim on 01257 424548.lol

Got A Season Ticket ChippingSodburySaint's Avatar

Very sad news.

Widnes is a town very much assoiated with Rugby League in the same way as our own team is. If someone who doesn't know that much about Rugby League was asked to name 3 clubs I bet Widnes would be one of them.

Can't remember why they didn't get into Super League on it's inception but they never really recovered from that did they? Too many years in the lower division before they finally made it up and they couldn't stabalise in the higher grade.

Quote Originally Posted by saint-hamlett
    i like goin to widnes..... mainly cos am there for the ruggers! not really that arsed at the beer, just glad to watch rugby stood up!
    What the f...

Ruggers??? WHAT???

Stood up? In an all seater? Yes it's possible but they throw a right paddy when we do, sending the police in with video cameras.

Unless you're confusing Widnes RLFC with Widnes RUFC??? Especially with the use of the word RUGGERS. Jeez my skin is crawling just typing it.

Learning All The Songs Knight Shadow's Avatar

sad to see a hart lands club go, makes the game seam so what more fragile but if you dont watch the pennies the pounds made a run for it and do that to a club.i hope thay can pull it back together as i would love to see a wire widness game agen!
    Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not fully understand,
    into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly predict
    in such a fashion that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.

I AM DYSLEXIC SO I HAVE BAD SPELLING, thank you

Knight Shadow...now with fire fox spell check! thanks guys and ladies!

Wizards Sleeve
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Div
    Sad its a proper rugby town. I used to visit Naughton Park quite a bit as a neutral when we were not playing.
    Me too. My old man is from Widnes so I watched them as a child for many years. He used to take me to Saints or Widnes whoever was at home until I was old enough to go to Saints on my own.

A lot of the problems go back to the early eighties when they brought in every international RU player they could afford. This was a major factor in their ultimate downfall, but a large chunk of responsibility lies at the feet of Maurice Lindsay. He relegated them in '95 to allow Paris and London in. Widnes didn't finish bottom and they've never really recovered from that. Up and down between the two divisions ever since.

Starting A Programme Collection alf wayliner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards Sleeve

A lot of the problems go back to the early eighties when they brought in every international RU player they could afford. This was a major factor in their ultimate downfall, but a large chunk of responsibility lies at the feet of Maurice Lindsay. He relegated them in '95 to allow Paris and London in. Widnes didn't finish bottom and they've never really recovered from that. Up and down between the two divisions ever since.
    In 94/95 they finished 14th, given that there were only 12 teams to be in SL and that move was agreed by vote of all the clubs at the start of that season, they were aware of what was needed to qualify for SL but they didn't. Featherstone and Salford finished higher but they haven't gone into administration, subsequently Wakefield, who finished a point and a place higher in 95 but didn't qualify, have managed to become established as a superleague club despite having a p!ss poor ground and fanbase and extreme financial difficulties. So in effect it was Fev and Salford who were "pushed aside" for expansion clubs and not Widnes, who just weren't good enough, or maurice's own personal decision to keep the stinkies out. Much as we like to villify the man he isn't guilty of everything we can think of.
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. (Karl Marx)
    Third as a cruel joke, fourth as a kick in the nads, fifth as a mortifyingly bad nightmare! (Alf Wayliner)

This is terrible - but it doesn't mean the end for Widnes Vikings RL club necessarily.
    As a Wrexham FC fan, I know how it feels when your team is put into admin. It's awful and to some extent you don't care what the results on the pitch are aslong as you have a team to support next season. We were docked 10 points and inevitabley relegated into League 2, but we've pulled ourselves out of that situation over a year ago. We're a healthy club again now in terms of finances.

I wasn't too surprised when I head the news though, I think the chairman saw this coming and ducked out when he needed to - players like Denis Moran will be on big sums of money for a national league club.

Nevertheless, Widnes are a big club in RL and I'm confdent they can turn this around - I'll help to back them as I'm sure many others will. But it may be several years before they find their feet in Rugby league again.